User Avatar Image

Bring back full throttle?

posted by Da D Man on - last edited - Viewed by 230 users

Telltale has been doing alot of things with lucasarts lately it would be cool to see them bring back full throttle :D

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Forget it. To me FT always seemed like it should stay a standalone story, i've never thought it needed a sequel.

Now give me my Bill & Ted season one.

• While I like Full throttle! I felt it wasn't as strong as some other LucasArts adventure games, as far as the humor is concerned! No big loss in my eyes! Just let it stay dead!

• Full Throttle's one of my favorite games and I always wished they had made a sequel way back when, but now I don't think anyone could ever replace Roy Conrad.

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: Full Throttle's one of my favorite games and I always wished they had made a sequel way back when, but now I don't think anyone could ever replace Roy Conrad.

A sequel to Full Throttle and a new Sam & Max game were in development but these projects were cancelled, in 2003 and 2004 respectively, before the games were finished. When the rights to the Sam and Max franchise expired in 2005, the creator of Sam and Max, Steve Purcell, took ownership. He then licensed Sam and Max to Telltale Games to be developed into an episodic game. Telltale Games is made up primarily of former LucasArts employees who had worked on the Sam and Max sequel and were let go after the project was canceled

• Yes I know they were working on one. Two, actually - "Payback" and that godawful looking "Hell on Wheels". But working on doesn't count as made.

• FT without tim shafer would be bad.

• Full Throttle is one of the weakest LucasArts adventure games, imo, when it comes to gameplay at least. Way too easy, way too short, and some bad gameplay sequences (the road rash puzzle and the destruction derby for example). Typical Tim Schafer game - great story and humour, but lacking in gameplay and/or puzzles.

Of course, being one of the weakest LucasArts adventure games doesn't say a lot, since they're all so great. Only Sam and Max, Maniac Mansion and The Dig are lower on my list.

• There was a thread for this here but I am all-for it and I'll reiterate what I said.

Telltale knows what works for an adventure game and what doesn't. Tales of Monkey Island showed us that Telltale could give games a serious side to them, as opposed to the zany side like Sam and Max or Wallace and Gromit.

It would be a real challenge for the folks over at Telltale as Throttle keeps things in a practical spectrum and grounded in reality. There are no giant bees or talking animals or voodoo powers or magics of any kind. I don't consider hover-technology to really be any sort of magic...

A follow up to Throttle would have to have a coherent and believable story that is fleshed in reality. No falling back on any sort of secret powers. Every action would be influenced by human motivation, just as the first game was. Again, maybe not what Telltale was looking for, as a lot of their stories take place in fantasy worlds. But I sure as hell would love to see them try for something as epic as the first game.

If anyone had to have the property, I would trust Full Throttle in Telltale's hands before I would trust anyone else.

• @Ciremi said: If anyone had to have the property, I would trust Full Throttle in Telltale's hands before I would trust anyone else.

This. Wholeheartedly. But I'm still not sure I'd like to see a Full Throttle without Conrad.

• @Ciremi said: If anyone had to have the property, I would trust Full Throttle in Telltale's hands before I would trust anyone else.

As much as I like Telltale, Full Throttle would really benefit from Double Fine instead!

Add Comment