User Avatar Image

Sierra adventure games

posted by Armakuni on - last edited - Viewed by 856 users

I've recently replayed quite a few Sierra games.. and I've also finished some games I had not yet finished for some reason. And I have to say, Sierra made some fantastic adventure games!

So I'm wondering what the concensus around here is when it comes to Sierra games. I get the impression that a lot of people here are Lucasarts fans.. I myself am a big fan of the Lucasarts adventure games but I do think Sierra made adventure games that are just as good as the ones Lucasarts made. It's hard for me to pick a favourite here, I think both Sierra and Lucasarts were fantastic back when they were making adventure games.

Of course, there are some problems that reoccur in a lot of Sierra games that I hear people complain about quite often - deaths and dead ends. It's no secret that quite a few Sierra games have plenty of dead ends making it impossible to proceed since you've forgotten to do something at an earlier part of the game to where it's impossible to go back unless you load an earlier save. Personally I don't mind this much - I always keep a lot of saves and I find that in most cases it's not unfair as it's often pretty obvious that you should not proceed without figuring certain things out first.

And deaths I don't mind at all - I think it adds a sense of danger that some games benefit from.. and often deaths are pretty damn funny. I intentionally die in many games just to see the death sequence and/or the message I get after I die (lots of very dry jokes there!).

One good thing about Sierra - they made a lot more adventure games than Lucasarts ever did. Some might say "quality over quantity" but I think Sierra kept a consistant good quality in their adventure games. And they used some fantastic hand drawn backgrounds later on when they started using 256 colors (Kings Quest 5, their first 256 color game, still looks fantastic if you ask me!).

So personally, I like both companies equally.. they both created fantastic adventure games and they both screwed it all up later on.

If you're curious, the game I had waited too long to finish and finished for the first time just now is Kings Quest 6 - I was never too keen on the Kings Quest series in general but Kings Quest 6 is really awesome! Of couse, Jane Jensen helped write the story in this one which is most likely why it's better than the other Kings Quest games. It's a fantastic game.. the only fault I could find is that it might be a little too easy.. you never really get stuck anywhere in the game, it's always pretty obvious what you're supposed to do. But the storyline, the pacing, the locations, graphics, voice acting.. it's all great!

So do you like Sierra games? How do you think they compare to Lucasarts games? I know it's a pretty silly question but I hear it all the time - "I love Lucasarts adventure games but I never really got into the Sierra ones" which I find really weird.

60 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I never played any. I was a LucasArts kid. They don't seem to have the same appeal to me. Just endless sequels.

• I don't mind sequels as long as they're good. In fact, many good sequels is a good thing to me - I get to know the characters better and it's interesting to see what happens. Probably the same reason why I prefer series to movies.

• Eheh you're right, here you can find 90% pro LUCAS and 10% Sierra (even too much).
    Personally, I didn't like Sierra so much, I've always been for LucasArts.
    The only games I liked by Sierra were Freddy Pharkas and the Larry series (5-6-7). I've always thought the Sierra humour pales, in comparison to the good old LucaArts'. And the fact that you could die anytime was annoying, boring, sometimes even stupid. Hundreds of sequels clones of the previous games, a poor user interface, obscure puzzles and the use of a SCUMM-like system that came a bit too late. Sierra's just not my cup of tea, but I definitely appreciate some of its games.
    I can quote Guybrush, reading a book about "The majesty of the Sierras" inside the Phatt library: "Sierra? Majestic? I think not." :D

• I don't recall playing a lot of Sierra adventures but the ones I did play were pretty nice. I was never troubled much by their featuring deaths, but I think that's also because such was common practice at the time (you can't imagine Eternam without all those hilarious deaths, and even in Fate of Atlantis Crete can be a veritable death-trap if you're not playing the team path). Getting stuck through taking the wrong move much earlier is annoying, but I don't recall that happening much.

• Yeah it's all a matter of taste obviously. Personally, I don't think the Sierra interface was ever bad.. I loved typing in stuff as I felt it gave more freedom in some cases (and some funny responses too). And the system they implemented with Kings Quest 5 (icons) was pretty good and it didn't clutter up the screen much either.

And I think it's a good thing they made many sequels! :D

Of course, humour is highly subjective so that can't be argued.. but I think Sierra did have some pretty funny games :D

• I;m a big Sierra fan, I like LucasArts because they've got strong stories, and good puzzles, I like Sierra because, while the story isn't as strong, the puzzles are more challenging, adding the possibility of death, I'd say I'd split myself right down the center, 50/50.

• Well Sierra did make some games with very strong stories - ever played the Gabriel Knight games? I think those are some of the best written adventure games ever.

• I grew up with Sierra games, so I'm more tilted toward them.

• I grew up with both.. I can't even remember anymore if I first played a Sierra or Lucasarts game.

• After reading this thread I checked out Sierra on wiki and read up on their history.
    Gabriel Knight 1 looks pretty good. I might try and get my hands on it. I miss the classic AG 2-D style, so I wouldn't mind searching out a few classic games.
    The only non-lucas arts game I ever played back in the day was Rex Nubular. I remember thinking it was really weird when I was a kid, but I managed to get pretty far.

Add Comment