User Avatar Image

Movie plotholes/ The only thing that doesn't add up

posted by Dangeresque on - last edited - Viewed by 7.5K users

This is the greatest trilogy ever made (i dont consider the godfather a trilogy cause 3 sucked). everything in this movie was well thought out, all the events and the going back and forth were perfect (especially if you watch them around 15 times each and pick up all the small details :p )

the only thing that think didnt add up in this movie was the fact that Marty's parents doent remember him. i mean sure its 30 years later (speaking of the 1st movie) but even if for only a week he was still a huge influence in both their lives right? when he started getting older wouldnt they start saying, hey wait a minute, this guy looks really familiar.

Worse yet wouldn't george suspect loraine of cheating on her with marty? i mean calvin marty in the late 60s?

just a stupid point. it might make no sence but its something that popped to my head and figure i'd share it. of course dont mean no offence to the trilogy

364 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@LuigiHann said:

Also pretty interesting is the fact that Doc felt comfortable enough to leave Jennifer in 1985-A, believing (apparently correctly) that the world would "change around her." It's made clear that Marty-A and Doc-A are far away and unable to interfere, but no real mention is made of Jennifer-A. Her dad's car from the first movie is at the house, suggesting that it's still her house, so how weird would that be if her alternate self or alternate dad found her out there. Strange that Doc didn't even bring that up given how worried he was about her meeting her future self, but I guess he just figured that the problem would either resolve itself when they restored the timeline, or just wouldn't matter at all if they failed :p

I know! The more you argue it, the more you find inconsistencies. This is our daily chore. :P

Also, yeah-- I meant 2015. I've got 2010 on the brain because... well... it is 2010 right now. ;)

• @ LuigiHann:Also, in a deleted scene, it was shown that Old Biff seemed to collapse and then vanish after getting out of the time machine, because his changed past resulted in his death sometime before 2015, so his old self was erased from existence... but the scene was removed because it was confusing.

How you figure it's confusing? Taking that OUT & not leaving it in IS te confusing part. Dangeresque made a point ... and, had they left that in the movie, a lot LESS people would have been scratching their heads walking out of a theater years ago & still today. LOL

• @StevenMcFlyJr said: @ LuigiHann:

How you figure it's confusing? Taking that OUT & not leaving it in IS te confusing part. Dangeresque made a point ... and, had they left that in the movie, a lot LESS people would have been scratching their heads walking out of a theater years ago & still today. LOL

I didn't decide that it was confusing, the producers and test audiences apparently did.

• Just one stupid question... does the Doc from BTTF 1 (the one who gets shot by the lybians and wears the bulletproff vest) already knows that he'll be end up in 1885 and that he was going to build a new time machine? (the train, of course)

• @Sp1ke said: Just one stupid question... does the Doc from BTTF 1 (the one who gets shot by the lybians and wears the bulletproff vest) already knows that he'll be end up in 1885 and that he was going to build a new time machine? (the train, of course)

No, he wouldn't know, because Doc and Marty (and Old Biff) haven't gone back to 1955 a second time yet.

• I'm not sure it's a huge inconsistency or not, so I'm asking here, among fans ;).

Doc states, when they're in hell-1985, that while there are several alternate timelines, they can only go in the past, or the future, of the one they are in.

He states that going "back to the future" while being in hell-1985 would lead them to hell-future, and not the one they visited earlier, where Biff got the almanac.

So, how is it even possible that Biff went to the past, gave himself the almanac (which creates the new timeline, "hell") and then COMES BACK to the original future ?

Also, what a dumb person, obviously I wouldn't have cared about giving back the only thing that could stop my evil plan to the only people that could ever stop me, but hey ;D .

• @Strayth said: So, how is it even possible that Biff went to the past, gave himself the almanac (which creates the new timeline, "hell") and then COMES BACK to the original future ?

Whatever ramifications caused by Biff's actions that spilled into the year 2015 wouldn't necessarily be noticeable, at least not in such a way that a movie with BTTF's tone and running time restrictions could have realistically conveyed to the audience. And even if Biff giving the almanac to himself in 1985 did make Hill Valley 2015 a significantly different place visually than it was when Marty and Doc first saw it, they would never have noticed it because the timeline would have changed around them and they would only have memory of the new timeline (as Doc explains when Marty protests leaving Jennifer and Einstein behind when they realize they have to go back to 1955). Obviously, it doesn't all add up under close scrutiny, but it works in a movie logic kind of way.

The movie did address the alteration of the 2015 timeline in a deleted scene where Biff fades out of existence. In the final cut, Biff is seen collapsing in pain shortly after returning to 2015 in the Delorean. Originally, this went on a bit longer, showing Biff literally disappearing the same way Marty almost did in BTTF1. The reason was because he'd returned to a future where he didn't exist anymore, because in the timeline where he is rich and powerful, he ends up getting shot (as speculated by Bob Gale) by Lorraine in the 90s.

• The movie did address the alteration of the 2015 timeline in a deleted scene where Biff fades out of existence. In the final cut, Biff is seen collapsing in pain shortly after returning to 2015 in the Delorean. Originally, this went on a bit longer, showing Biff literally disappearing the same way Marty almost did in BTTF1. The reason was because he'd returned to a future where he didn't exist anymore, because in the timeline where he is rich and powerful, he ends up getting shot (as speculated by Bob Gale) by Lorraine in the 90s.

Wow I had no idea! Thank you. It's great stuff !

Whatever ramifications caused by Biff's actions that spilled into the year 2015 wouldn't necessarily be noticeable, at least not in such a way that a movie with BTTF's tone and running time restrictions could have realistically conveyed to the audience. And even if Biff giving the almanac to himself in 1985 did make Hill Valley 2015 a significantly different place visually than it was when Marty and Doc first saw it, they would never have noticed it because the timeline would have changed around them and they would only have memory of the new timeline (as Doc explains when Marty protests leaving Jennifer and Einstein behind when they realize they have to go back to 1955). Obviously, it doesn't all add up under close scrutiny, but it works in a movie logic kind of way.

It's not really possible they couldn't notice change. If they didn't notice the future changed, that means they had knowledge of what happened in the new past too. If the future becomes their reality that means the past of this future also his (in my opinion). If, for exemple, they don't notice in the future that, Biff is all mighty, why would they in the past?

The only thing possible is, as you said, that they didn't see anything different, not that they couldn't. And that's actually a good explanation, since the second they got Jenifer out, Biff came back. They couldn't see if George was dead or something.

And now that you mention it, since Biff was affected by the changes, shouldn't Marty and Doc change too ?

As for Jennifer, I'm not really sure about that but... Letting her in an alternate timeline and going back to the past to change it...

Does that mean there aren't alternate timelines but only ONE timeline and no matter what if something changes it replaces everything ... ? O_o

They can only travel to one timeline but I wouldn't say the others just get erased or whatever ...

Now what's weird, is that if Jennifer is affected by changes in the past, why aren't Marty and Doc when Biff changed it ?

Their past selves had pretty different lives (and probably never time travelled).

We know that a past self affects the future self... So we have to guess that the past Marty and Doc aren't the real Marty and Doc but the ones from another reality, but doesn't that mean Marty also created an alternate timeline in the first movie, and didn't really go back to his ?

• What puzzles me about this is that if Biff was all powerful or dead in the future, he wouldn't go back in time to give the almanac to his younger self. If his younger self didn't get the book, then wouldn't time correct itself or possibly cause a paradox?

• @duelistjt said: What puzzles me about this is that if Biff was all powerful or dead in the future, he wouldn't go back in time to give the almanac to his younger self. If his younger self didn't get the book, then wouldn't time correct itself or possibly cause a paradox?

back to the future is full of paradoxes, but it works round them. If Marty had been erased from existence in the first movie he would have still been around in the past till he disappeared, the same with biff. He got killed between 1985 and 2015 so he was erased from existence but there was still a version of him in the past who altered things.

Add Comment