User Avatar Image

On the ending complaints- (SPOILERS DUH)

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Long post warning-

Okay I haven't played this game yet, just the demo. But I did read all of the spoilers (silly me), and I see a lot of complaining about the ending being abrupt and not actually explaining anything or closing out, including details about why it didn't do this. Well, sure for a normal game that would be bad, but don't most pilots generally always do this nowadays? Pilots are made primarily to get you excited about a full season of episodes, so a lot of them intentionally leave you with a cliffhanger that makes you want more.

Take for instance the newest Scooby Doo TV series, which had a very similar feeling to Tethers, at least from the demo. It ended on practically the same sort of note, with the actual mystery just getting DEEPER and with ALMOST NOTHING being explained. The purpose? To get people interested and excited and to set things up for a full season, again. A lot of TV pilots do this, even if the following episode is only to finish off that particular story, and let the rest of the episodes be more self-contained. Anyway, as some silly person who hasn't played the full game or seen the ending, that's why I think it ended that way. Isn't that what the pilot program is all about?

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The ending was ok, a bit weird. But one thing I didn't get, why did the sheriff go so crazy about the crossword puzzle in Nelsons pocket? Did they just love puzzles that much?

• Personally, I was annoyed by the ending, as too much is left unexplained. What did the gnomes want with Mr. Davner? Was Mr. Davner their willing victim, or was he trying to keep them away in the factory? Who killed Mike Lobb?

There's just one solution: Telltale has to continue the story.

• @Ishtarru said: Personally, I was annoyed by the ending, as too much is left unexplained. What did the gnomes want with Mr. Davner? Was Mr. Davner their willing victim, or was he trying to keep them away in the factory? Who killed Mike Lobb?

There's just one solution: Telltale has to continue the story.

It's entirely possible that that is the end of the story. Abrupt, unsolved endings are part of what Grickle is.

• The tobacco, I am assuming, is Bjorn's since he was the only one who smoked a pipe in the story (in front of the hotel). Possibly meaning after meeting the Puzzle Agent for the first time left to inform the missing foreman's wife on how to act and what to say to him when he was to come to the diner. And why did she come running out of the building next to the diner later in the story? That, too, could be a connection to the tobacco.

I personally didn't like the end because it didn't explain basically anything to confirm why I should care about any of the conversations or detective work and instead just focus on the puzzles. By opening the story with a spaceman opening his visor, not seeing the face by the viewer, and having the detective shriek in horror should have been the main question to be answered - who was in the suit and why was it frightening.

Agree with previous posters - the music and the Northern USA accent made the game great.

Some of the puzzles were too easy. One that stands out is the four pictures of persons leaving a building in the snow and you have to figure out the order by the tracks in the snow. This is the exact same puzzle I show to Kindergarteners for their computer class and they are able to solve them easily also. I like the fact that there are minimal instruction, yet I say even more obscurity would make the game better. Take for example the puzzles from the game 'Ravenhearst' - if you have played it - there are puzzles with zero instruction on what to do and it is entirely trial and error to manipulate the setting for an order of events to occur to unlock a door. Sprinkle some of those in with the logic puzzles and the game could be even better.

• I think they try to hide the backstory of Hidden People as much as they can, since that would give us some ideas of how to completely get rid of them once we know much about them.

Well, that's why I played and REALLY enjoyed this game. I mean, Hidden People irritate me SO MUCH, I DESPISE them. They're freaky, annoying, and their whispering always makes me curious. It was like game was giving me information about them bit by bit so that I could finally DESTROY those unholy creatures.

• US just got the third Professor Layton game so there's still hope that enough people will play it.

• for grickle, the ending is very appropriate. its supposed to make you confused. and i am 100% positive that this is not the end of are dear friend nelsons adventures.

• I'm just wondering that if they do make a full season of Puzzle Agent, what would it be like? I imagine Nelson would be in an entirely different setting, the Hidden People would most likely return, I just wonder if they would have enough new ideas for puzzles at that point. I just finished the game a day or two ago and I'm still open to how I should feel about the ending.

• i would think he would take a break from the hidden people for now and have something to do with those aliens in the many grickle shorts or those weird guys from deleware.

• There's a literary technique called "Chekhov's gun". It says that if you see a gun in a play in the first act, it should be fired by the third act.

The gun wasn't fired here. That makes parts of the story seem unnecessary or just pointless. Like the dream and the spaceman. They probably aren't but we don't know.

I'm not satisfied with the ending, but I would gladly buy a full season if they made one. The game was awesome, and regardless of how I feel about the ending, it makes me want to see more episodes. So, for a pilot, it's done it's job.

Add Comment