User Avatar Image

Should Back to the Future Sequels be Done Back to Back?

posted by marty mc fly 2015 on - last edited - Viewed by 668 users

if there is to be any more sequels i think part 4 should be back to back with part 5 just like they did with parts 2 and 3 , it can be done and should be done !

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The last trilogy to have sequels back to back was Pirates of the Caribbean. It didn't affect the quality of the second movie but it definitely affected the quality of the third.

• You thought the second Pirates film was better than the third? I actually agree with you, but most people seem to think it's the other way around.

I really don't think shooting sequels back to back effects the quality of the films at all. Some are good (BttF II and III, the Lord of the Rings films), some are bad (the Matrix sequels) but that's all because of the quality of the stories they are telling, not because of the method in which they were filmed.

• Part 3 is the only one I don't like and I do think it's because they shot it way too soon.

• But it wasn't shot "too soon", it was shot at the same time. There's no reason for that to be detrimental to a film (except perhaps for the fact that filmmakers don't have time to respond to fan feedback).

• If you're running within a time restraint that normally applies to one film, and are trying to write two films in that amount of time, it does affect the quality. Most movie sequels have three to four years in between release - some examples.

Curse of the Black Pearl - 2003 (not bad but could have been much better)
    Dead Man's Chest - 2006
    At World's End - 2007

Back to the Future - 1985(admittedly the only perfect one to do it back to back)
    Part II - 1989
    Part III - 1990

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 1981
    Temple of Doom - 1984
    The Last Crusade - 1989
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 2008

Batman Begins - 2005
    The Dark Knight - 2008
    Batman 3 - 2012

• @marty mc fly 2015 said: if there is to be any more sequels i think part 4 should be back to back with part 5 just like they did with parts 2 and 3 , it can be done and should be done !

Do you have a source for these speculations? I personally cant imagine them making a 4th and 5th chapter since iirc the story wrapped up nicely at the end and also it's been over TWENTY YEARS since PIII...

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis have repeatedly stated that BTTF 4 can not happen because Michael J. Fox could not participate. These guys even turned up at cons equally dressed with t-shirts bearing crossed-out "IV"s.

Concerning back-to-back filming of a triology: Let's not forget "The Lord of the Rings" - probably one of the most extreme example of this. In 2000, Bob Gale was even asked in an interview if he has any tips for Peter Jackson (IIRC - it's been some time ;) ).

• @Secret Fawful said: If you're running within a time restraint that normally applies to one film, and are trying to write two films in that amount of time, it does affect the quality. Most movie sequels have three to four years in between release - some examples.

Curse of the Black Pearl - 2003 (not bad but could have been much better)
    Dead Man's Chest - 2006
    At World's End - 2007

Back to the Future - 1985(admittedly the only perfect one to do it back to back)
    Part II - 1989
    Part III - 1990

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 1981
    Temple of Doom - 1984
    The Last Crusade - 1989
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 2008

Batman Begins - 2005
    The Dark Knight - 2008
    Batman 3 - 2012

The Matrix - 1999
    The Matrix Reloaded - 2003
    The Matrix Revolutions - 2003

It usually just depends on the type of movie. The Nolan Batman flicks aren't the greatest example because Nolan always does a film in between the Batman movies to not get burnt out on the characters..... Something Sam Raimi should have done when he was doing Spiderman.

At this point, TTG's BttF Game is the closest we'll ever see to a BttF 4 or 5. There's probably a better chance of BttF getting rebooted/remade by Universal.

• @Spykes said:
    At this point, TTG's BttF Game is the closest we'll ever see to a BttF 4 or 5. There's probably a better chance of BttF getting rebooted/remade by Universal.

A modern reboot would be amusing... I can just see the "Doc's intro" scene where he's controlling the new delorean using his iPhone! ;) :P

• @Ashton said: A modern reboot would be amusing... I can just see the "Doc's intro" scene where he's controlling the new delorean using his iPhone! ;) :P

That gives me an interesting idea for a thread....

Add Comment