User Avatar Image

Cheapest boss characters

posted by roberttitus on - last edited - Viewed by 850 users

Every gamer under the sun has faced a boss characeter in a game that just fights so f***ing dirty that it sends them into a altered state of mind.... a state of mind know as gamer rage (see also: throwing controllers, shouting obscenities, biting the heads off of orphened baby chipmunks). What I want to know is what boss character (Mini-bosses count too) has sent you furthest down that path & what the craziest thing that a boss fight has made you do or say (censor it with *'s if it is super bad.... no need to corrupt the children).

117 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Personally I hate boss I-no in Guilty Gear more than any of the BB bosses. That's unless it's in Score Attack of course, **** Score Attack.

As for SNK bosses...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk_PxKL_1q4
    For reference, that Iori was ratio 4, which means he should be taking the least amount of damage possible, so yeah...

• @SunnyGuy said: Must. Resist. Urge...crap, I couldn't.

Seth is pathetic and totally overrated, play an SNK game if you want to know what real cheapness is.

Sorry, every time Seth is mentioned in topics like this I can't help posting that >.>

Yeah, well I did say that Seth was the cheapest that sprang to mind.

Truth is, though, that I don't play many games with cheap bosses, because they just don't interest me. Bosses are one of the worst hangovers from the early days of game programming. I mentioned Arkham Asylum, a top game that I really enjoyed - except for the boss battles. In a game of stealth, observation and free-flowing combat, standing around waiting to hit a guy in his glowing weak-points was hugely disappointing. It's lazy game design.

Despite all the numerous reasons to criticise the Modern Warfare games, I really liked the way they ended their single-player campaigns. No bosses, just an action-packed final level with an imaginative and story-led epilogue.

That said, I don't dislike all bosses - the Great Mighty Poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day is a personal favourite. I just wish game designers would put a bit more thought into them.

• @Captain Mickey said: Xaldin. F---ing Xaldin. Easy, standard, and proud mode, the son of a bitch would OBLITERATE me on any level. I beaten KH2 several times over, so I decided to challenge myself on Proud mode, however as I was playing I realized that if Xaldin was a pain on standard mode, he would be a thousand times worst on Proud mode. I wasn't far off. I stopped playing for 3 years until recently. But still! Oh my god, cheapest fight ever.

Thank God Square Enix added a "get rescued by Micky" mode or else to this day I probably wouldent have beaten the game.

And to those that dont know on certain boss fights in Kh 2 that I guess they deemed hard, if you die, a little option comes up and you can choose to play as Mickey Mouse who can fight the boss, or what I did, heal Sora, the main character, when Mickey dies, you replay as Sora with whatever health you healed him and then the cycle repeats so I reccomend just healing in this mode.

• @SunnyGuy said: Personally I hate boss I-no in Guilty Gear more than any of the BB bosses. That's unless it's in Score Attack of course, **** Score Attack.

As for SNK bosses...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk_PxKL_1q4
    For reference, that Iori was ratio 4, which means he should be taking the least amount of damage possible, so yeah...

I never got far into Guilty Gear. I went from BB to GG while waiting for my PS3 and copy of BB, which was about a month, then back to BB. I let my fiance borrow GG so she can understand BB's engine better.

And I was talking about Score Attack and Arcade Hazama on Hell Difficulty.

• I can think of about four bosses that make me ragequit by their sheer cheapness, but the worst two are:

The bonus boss of Golden Sun, Deadbeard, was a pain, but his successor, Dullahan, is cheap as hell. He'll debuff your entire party and the next turn (which, because you're debuffed and he's so fast, will be immediately after) he'll waste you with the second most powerful summon in the game.

The Omega Metroid at the end of Metroid Fusion. You're fighting it in the narrow docking bay, there's no room to dodge and it's claws have ridiculous reach. Any time I've cleared this boss, it's been by sheer luck and dogged determination

• ...Really? The Omega Metroid boss fight usually lasts all of about 20 seconds for me.

• It always kicks my ass hard, the shortest I've ever cleared it is about 10 seconds before the place goes up. It's pretty much the only Metroid boss which has ever given me trouble too.

• The bosses that I hated the most:
    Barrier trio and the Masked Man from Mother 3
    Any Frontier Brain in Pokemon
    Huff n. Puff from Paper Mario
    Boss Rush on intense difficulty in Brawl.

• Ugh, I forgot about the boss battles in Brawl. That's the other insurmountable challenge I still have left, and unlike Sonic Heroes, it's one I know I'll never be able to beat. Those are just like...what the hell? And what's the most annoying is that (at least in the US version) all of the boss battle challenge windows are the only ones that can't be broken with a hammer.

Add Comment