User Avatar Image

Multiple Paths through the game?

posted by TechnoGoth on - last edited - Viewed by 991 users

Should Back to the Future games bring back the adventure game idea of multiple solutions and multiple paths through the game? A lot of the old Lucas arts games like the Indian Jones series had several ways to solve puzzles and even multiple routes through the game. Don't you think the tell tale games could benefit from this?

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I quote myself from another post (since I am too lazy to type it again now):
    [quote]So, multiple solutions to problems, and then which you take has influence in later episodes?

While that's a great idea, it would require having to keep savegames for said data (some apparently seem to uninstall episodes after completing them), and would complicate matters for people who did not play the episodes before that.
    I guess they could use a system that would randomly pick one of the solutions if these conditions are not met or there is a "canon" version though.[/quote]

• I don't think multiple paths would work in an episodic series, or at least it would take too much work to get it to work compared to the relative gains.

I suppose it would be possible to create multiple paths that are contained to a single episode so that the start & end points would be the same for everyone but the journey could be different.

• For ease it would make sense that the different paths would be contained within a single episode.

For instance let's say the game gave you 2 standard approaches to the main puzzles in the episodes
    - Wise Cracking
    - Creative

So you are given the problem of like. Biff has stolen the Deloren and locked it in a warehouse, and is currently standing guard.
    - Wise Cracking approach - After first retrieving your trade mark skateboard you confront Biff. Then Using a variety of carefully chooses insults you get him to chase you leading to an skateboard chase mini game that inevitable results in Biff crashing into a manure truck.
    - Creative approach - Using your knowledge of pop culture, quick thinking, and a collection of seemingly random items you manage to obtain a spare key to the warehouse and lure Biff away long enough to steal back the Deloren.

Ideally episodes allowing you to import a pervious save game that alters some events or aspects of the current episode. Maybe giving you an extra item that can help you solve a certain puzzle, or simply changing some events subtly.

• Or not.

Why would puzzle solving should change anything in the next episodes ?

You obtain the same result. So the episodes will just take taht into consideration.

• @Strayth said: Or not.

Why would puzzle solving should change anything in the next episodes ?

You obtain the same result. So the episodes will just take taht into consideration.

ditto

• Say; Ep 1 is in 1990.

You solve puzzle #1. Solution 1 is kicking in a window. Solution 2 is luring someone away with a false call.

Cue Ep 2. 1998.
    Solution 1 caused a break-in, deal with the consequences, which stole the item you needed to solve a current puzzle.
    In solution 2 your mother suddenly fell in love with the wrong guy (think BTTF1). Paradox. Fix it.

As such not even episodes are replayable, but the entire season. Works better for a full game, but it could work fine for episodic too. Thinking not is just shortminded, and less awesome :D.

• @Hassat Hunter said: Say; Ep 1 is in 1990.

You solve puzzle #1. Solution 1 is kicking in a window. Solution 2 is luring someone away with a false call.

Cue Ep 2. 1998.
    Solution 1 caused a break-in, deal with the consequences, which stole the item you needed to solve a current puzzle.
    In solution 2 your mother suddenly fell in love with the wrong guy (think BTTF1). Paradox. Fix it.

As such not even episodes are replayable, but the entire season. Works better for a full game, but it could work fine for episodic too. Thinking not is just shortminded, and less awesome :D.

I was thinking that, have a problem solved 2 different ways then it would have an alternate ending, then the next episode asks you what option you chose, that would make the games different depending on what you chose in the first one. Also who in their right mind would play the second episode first, i say tough if they don't know what option to choose, just play the first one first and problem is solved.

• I certainly hope they would use this idea. Not many adventure games have this, so it would be terrific to include multiple solutions in BTTF.

• While it sounds good on paper, one of the reasons I've seen stated in the past why many of the programmers don't favor this approach is because it means putting a lot of work in to content that only a fraction of the players are going to see. Let's say there's three ways to get past a puzzle. And one approach gets 55% of players, one gets 30% and the last only gets 15%. That last way through is hardly worth the work to program. If people want multiple playthroughs, there's some advantage, but historically adventure games have a very low replay value. Even in those Indiana Jones games mentioned, very few people replayed them just to solve the puzzles in a different way.

The programmers have stated they'd rather not divide things in such a way that they're making content that a significant portion of their audience is guaranteed to never see, and choices that may be out of character (Would Marty really approach the situation with solution B? or solution C? or is solution A clearly most in character for him?) and instead put that effort into making more content that reaches the majority of players in a logical manner.

Would you rather play a 4-hour game with an hour's worth of content that varies, or a coherently plotted 5-6 hour game?

• RPG's have done that for years.

And guess what; the linear non-choice shooters take 5 hours, while they still take 20+ hours.

Add Comment