User Avatar Image

Guilty pleasures/displeasures

posted by Fealiks on - last edited - Viewed by 228 users

Everyone has guilty pleasures, but most people also have guilty displeasures (things that you don't like but you feel like you should). LIST THEM! LIST THEM OR DIE!

I can't think of many myself right now, but I still think this would be a good idea for a thread, so here's what I can think of at the minute:

Some of my guilty pleasures:
Creed
Dane Cook

Some of my guilty displeasures:
The Doors
The Usual Suspects

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Guilty pleasures? I'll get shot for this, properly, but some of the bad Doctor Who episodes. Nothing as bad as the Slitheen one, but I enjoyed "Parting of the Ways", for example. I wouldn't forgive myself for writing it, buttt I kind of enjoyed catching it on BBC Entertainment the other day.

Most of Moffat's episodes I like, and without a trace of guilt.

@mgrant said: Guilty Pleasures:
    -Jane Austen novels

Nothing to feel guilty about. Jane Austen rocks those books like a champ; if books were muscles, she'd be doing one-arm pushups while simultaneously sipping a cocktail of muscle milk and egg yolk from a glass balanced off the sweaty backs of her less talented colleagues.

I agree with you on the Avatar count: it's pretty much Pocahontas, step-by-step, although it's just as beautiful to look at.

• I can't think in any guilty pleasure right now, although I sure have many. Nevertheless, when I see all the rick'roll links you guys put on the forum, I remember that when I was just a little boy I asked my mother... er... no, I mean that when I was a child, I really liked Rick Ashley. Even I performed him in a playback at school. I have no graphical evidence, fortunately!

And, about guilty displeasures... I don't like Sierra adventure games, except the Gabriel Knight series.

• @Kroms said:
    Nothing to feel guilty about. Jane Austen rocks those books like a champ; if books were muscles, she'd be doing one-arm pushups while simultaneously sipping a cocktail of muscle milk and egg yolk from a glass balanced off the sweaty backs of her less talented colleagues.

That is by far one of the best metaphors I've ever heard.

It's only a guilty pleasure based on who I hang out with. When I'm chilling with my mom and sister (rather big Austenites), it's not a big deal, even if it is a bit nerdy. However, I'm a chick who mainly hangs out with guys, and whenever I mentioned I read Austen, I always got the "Eh, she's a female writer, it's a bunch of emotions and crap" response. That's what has made me a little...awkward about admitted my affection for good old Jane.

• @mgrant said: That is by far one of the best metaphors I've ever heard.

Ha, cheers. I'll flex those writing muscles you just pumped me with in your compliment.

I always got the "Eh, she's a female writer, it's a bunch of emotions and crap" response. That's what has made me a little...awkward about admitted my affection for good old Jane.

As opposed to Nicholas Sparks and every male writer who's ever written a sex scene? Sorry; that's about the stupidest thing I've heard since Christy McDonnell was on the news this morning. Knock some sense and sensibility into them by swatting around a paperback copy of Persuasion, say, "Don't be so cocky and proud and prejudiced," and snicker.

Not that I've read anything by Nick Sparks, mind you, besides some cheesy passages from Message in a Bottle.

• @Sailorcuteness said: I like digimon english dub XP

Series 1 _ONLY_ was good imo, but starting with Series 2 they were just milking the franchise.

Wow I seem to be the only one here with a serious guilty pleasure

Guilty Pleasure:
    -Smooking Hookah (so damn good, and it's only "marginally" bad, right? ;) heh)
    -Watching 80s cartoons (I grew up in the 80s and remember them, but I still feel guilty)

Guilty Displeasure:
    Strawberries. from what everyone tells me I should love them, but despite loving almost all fruit (even tomatoes!) I don't really like them...

• @Ashton said:
    Guilty Pleasure:
    -Smooking Hookah (so damn good, and it's only "marginally" bad, right? ;) heh)

I detest the damn thing. I'm an Arab stuck in an Arabic country, right? So wherever I go, it's there. Cafes occasionally make me feel like I'm trapped in the London fog, but instead of Big Ben's chimes there is the scent of double apple and peach wafting through what little actual air there is left. I feel the cancer brushing against my lungs, the stubborn clasp of smoke as it clings to my clothes, and I think that I would do anything to get out of there.

Argeeleh. Hookah. Sheesha. All names for a very bad little joojoo.

• @Kroms said: I detest the damn thing. I'm an Arab stuck in an Arabic country, right? So wherever I go, it's there.

I can see your point. Ironically I feel the same way about cigarettes (I know it's sorta hypocritical, but *shrug*) Though here in America Hookah is very rare (one site I order from has a directory of hookah bars and I think there are only like 200 listed in the entire USA)

• @Ashton said: America Hookah is very rare (one site I order from has a directory of hookah bars and I think there are only like 200 listed in the entire USA)

Really? I've seen a ton of places in Portland that have hookah.

• @Giant Tope said: Really? I've seen a ton of places in Portland that have hookah.

More popular in some places. a friend of mine lives in Cin, Oh and says they have them all over the place too. Seen so few I can count them on 1 hand in GA tho, likewise I dont think there are many in SC.

LA/SF, Seattle, Cin, NY, OK, Vegas, and Dallas seem to be the main places they're super-popular, though pockets appear at random in other states. I could be wrong tho, this is all from personal observation

• @Sausy Gibbon said: The Big Bang Theory (don't know if this would be classed as one, it's been recommended by all my friends and praised everywhere, but I mean this is a series writen by the hack who did Two and a Half Men for Christ sake)

Well, Chuck Lorre only one of the co-creators. The other one, Bill Prady, wrote "MuppetVision 3D", which makes him awesome.

Anyway, I tend not to feel any "guilt" over having different tastes, but I do like things while being fully aware of their mediocrity. Like "Newsies". Not really a good movie, but I love it.

And then there's "The Room", which I love BECAUSE it's so bad. It's one of the most awesome movies ever made.

Add Comment