User Avatar Image

Rate the Last Game You Finished

posted by DrRocketGenius on - last edited - Viewed by 7.6K users

Title says it all. Rate the last video game you completed.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 9.5/10

835 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    jmm

Civ 5 - 5/10

Too many bugs and the game balance is way off. Even if the game looks nice it is still too rough. Multiplayer is broken and good luck if you try to restore a save game from a modded game. The game AI is broken too.

Still, some nice ideas floating around, maybe after two or three patches the game enjoyable.

• @der_ketzer said: Well Heavy Rain loses points for the horrible first hour that made me want to torch the place he lived in with his wife and kids still inside.

Ouch, you have me there. Though it was more like 20 minutes, not an hour. :p

• @DrRocketGenius said:
    The majority of critics highly disagree with you.

Oh, think for yourself. The majority of critics awarded GTA IV high scores. Historically, critics have panned Psycho, shrugged off Moby-Dick, and ignored Raymond Chandler. I'm not saying I blame them: I've gotten loads of things wrong. They don't have enough time to really digest something before they review it, so who cares?

Look, I can get into a huuuuuge tirade here on why I think it fails, you know, as a game. I don't mean "it isn't fun" or something similarly silly; I'm talking about how the entire exoskeleton for the damn thing fails to do its function, which is present a story in a way a game can. Look, don't tell me your actions affect the thing: they do it in a way Choose Your Own Adventure books have for years. The game doesn't care if you sit on the bed or pick up a glass when talking to the prostitute; that's a failing on a very basic level.

You can't save Jason no matter how many times you press X, so what's the point?

Besides, even the story-as-a-story - which is what the game is all about - has more holes in it than a sprinkler, even a broken sprinkler. I'm not sure how proud you should be when someone stacks your story up against a broken sprinkler, and it's the broken sprinkler that wins.

• Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. I give it 8/10.

• Oregon Trail (remake on the iPhone): 6.5/10. Watching your party members die off in stupid ways never loses it's charm, but the limitations in regards to hunting, the quest functions which limits your choice of route to the next fort and the decreased difficulty made it only a mildly fun game.

• I think it was Heavy Rain...

• Amnesia: The Dark Descent , very nice adventure game 9/10

• The Curse of Monkey Island 9/10

I loved it. :D

• Deathspank : Thongs of Virtue - 8/10.

I really enjoyed it - It's been a while since I've been addicted to a game.

• Eversion-8/10
    Wonderful game, but gets really messed up the farther you go into it.

Add Comment