User Avatar Image

Sierra adventure games

posted by Armakuni on - last edited - Viewed by 835 users

I've recently replayed quite a few Sierra games.. and I've also finished some games I had not yet finished for some reason. And I have to say, Sierra made some fantastic adventure games!

So I'm wondering what the concensus around here is when it comes to Sierra games. I get the impression that a lot of people here are Lucasarts fans.. I myself am a big fan of the Lucasarts adventure games but I do think Sierra made adventure games that are just as good as the ones Lucasarts made. It's hard for me to pick a favourite here, I think both Sierra and Lucasarts were fantastic back when they were making adventure games.

Of course, there are some problems that reoccur in a lot of Sierra games that I hear people complain about quite often - deaths and dead ends. It's no secret that quite a few Sierra games have plenty of dead ends making it impossible to proceed since you've forgotten to do something at an earlier part of the game to where it's impossible to go back unless you load an earlier save. Personally I don't mind this much - I always keep a lot of saves and I find that in most cases it's not unfair as it's often pretty obvious that you should not proceed without figuring certain things out first.

And deaths I don't mind at all - I think it adds a sense of danger that some games benefit from.. and often deaths are pretty damn funny. I intentionally die in many games just to see the death sequence and/or the message I get after I die (lots of very dry jokes there!).

One good thing about Sierra - they made a lot more adventure games than Lucasarts ever did. Some might say "quality over quantity" but I think Sierra kept a consistant good quality in their adventure games. And they used some fantastic hand drawn backgrounds later on when they started using 256 colors (Kings Quest 5, their first 256 color game, still looks fantastic if you ask me!).

So personally, I like both companies equally.. they both created fantastic adventure games and they both screwed it all up later on.

If you're curious, the game I had waited too long to finish and finished for the first time just now is Kings Quest 6 - I was never too keen on the Kings Quest series in general but Kings Quest 6 is really awesome! Of couse, Jane Jensen helped write the story in this one which is most likely why it's better than the other Kings Quest games. It's a fantastic game.. the only fault I could find is that it might be a little too easy.. you never really get stuck anywhere in the game, it's always pretty obvious what you're supposed to do. But the storyline, the pacing, the locations, graphics, voice acting.. it's all great!

So do you like Sierra games? How do you think they compare to Lucasarts games? I know it's a pretty silly question but I hear it all the time - "I love Lucasarts adventure games but I never really got into the Sierra ones" which I find really weird.

60 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @xChri5x said: I tried running Gabriel Knight but gave up.

Perhaps something here could help?

• I'll try it when I get home, thanks!

I'm also gonna give Still Life a try too. It looks fantastic

• chris if you dont get it let me know... ill assume this is one of the 100 disc full motion video versions.. those hate xp.. if its not.. then you should be able to get any of them to run easily. Let me know.

PS... last I read sq7 is still in production.. urmm that was pretty recent too :P

• Gabriel Knight is a one disc, regular Sierra game. Gabriel Knight 2 is a FMV game on 6 discs but it's very easy to get it to work in XP. The third one should also work without much trouble in XP.

xCrhi5x - you did select soundblaster sound in the setup for the game? Try regular soundblaster if you didn't do that last time.

• I got it working with that xp installer. One problem though, how do I get to the game menu? The only way I could get out of the game was by Ctrl alt del. I tried Esc, and all the F keys but nothing worked!

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

Try dosbox and the DOS installation.
    For me, the DOS hi-res version worked better than the windows version.

• @xChri5x said: I got it working with that xp installer. One problem though, how do I get to the game menu? The only way I could get out of the game was by Ctrl alt del. I tried Esc, and all the F keys but nothing worked!

Did you try moving your cursor all the way to the top of the screen?

• @Armakuni said: I'm glad they didn't release the SQ7 they were working on though.. that sounded like it was going to be really bad from what I recall.

Yeah last thing I read was an e-mail I got personally from Mark Crowe, which was so long ago it's been lost to the ages, he said that when he left Sierra they were planning an FPS, and he was working on SPace Quest for the Xbox, not really a sequal but a new game set in the same universe with a new main character. Both games were cancelled.

@Armakuni said: PS... last I read sq7 is still in production.. urmm that was pretty recent too :P

Yeah that's a fan project Linky apart from rumblings within the fan community I haven't heard much of any official speak for some time now.

• I grew up playing the Sierra adventure games and thought that some of the games they made were pretty fun.

I especially like the GFG games since the storyline and gameplay in my opinion, is really good

In my opinion, I felt that the Lucas Arts adventures games were superior to most of the Sierra ones in terms of story and humor; not sure if I am in the minority, but I thought King's Quest was quite overrated. King's Quest is fun, but after playing the series for years, I felt that the storyling in all the games were unintentionally cheesy as in the game tries to be serious, but ends up being corny.

However, with that said, I really like Quest for Glory, Space, and Leisure Suit Larry and thought that they were as good as the Lucas Arts games.

• I'm glad they didn't release the SQ7 they were working on though.. that sounded like it was going to be really bad from what I recall.

And a good thing too. A group of people are working on SQ7, which is not sierra. Unfortunately there is no idea when it will actually be complete.

I'm better off with the LucasArts adventure games, the games they make in my mind are fun. But that is because I actually own them and play them once in a while when I can.

Add Comment