User Avatar Image

mario and sonic? :confused:

posted by pepsiboy3 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

dear TELLTALE GAMES!!!

WHAT ABOUT MARIO AND SONIC :mad: BEACUSE THEY AWSOME

PS: sorry i have to shout with caps :(

82 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Okay, here's some insight on why a pure adventure game wouldn't work for either series.

Let's take one important element of Mario, his jumping. While this could work for RPGs, it would not be something to be put in an adventure game, at least not if you don't want to make it look very obligatory.

In Super Mario RPG jumping was somewhat optional in that you could make a pre-emptive strike against your opponent. I don't know if that was also the case in Paper Mario, but in Super Paper Mario platforming was an important thing.

Sonic's important thing is his speed. The reason Sonic Chronicles probably failed? Lack of speed. Sonic is all about speed.

So yeah. Adventure games would not work on either character.

• uhhh there is a game and its for DS and Wii and its called sonic and mario at the Olympics games 1 and 2 ??
    they can add Sonic but needs 100% approval from sega ... but Mario ... it will be tough one because its Nintendo ..

• @GaryCXJk said: Okay, here's some insight on why a pure adventure game wouldn't work for either series.

Let's take one important element of Mario, his jumping. While this could work for RPGs, it would not be something to be put in an adventure game, at least not if you don't want to make it look very obligatory.

In Super Mario RPG jumping was somewhat optional in that you could make a pre-emptive strike against your opponent. I don't know if that was also the case in Paper Mario, but in Super Paper Mario platforming was an important thing.

Honestly though, with the way Tales of Monkey Island was controlled on the Wii, for instance (direct control with nunchuck analog stick, point and click with remote pointer), adding a jump button wouldn't be a huge stretch. Jumping and platforming wouldn't have to be a huge thing, it could just be an extra bit of interaction as you explore the game world.

I do agree with Darkmire that an adventure game set in the Mario universe would probably benefit from being a spin-off with the main playable character being someone other than Mario himself.

Also, Super Paper Mario was a platform game, and very different from the previous Paper Mario games. I strongly suggest that you (and everyone in the world) play the original Paper Mario at some point. And honestly, while the "main series" Mario games tend to have the same basic save-the-princess story, the stories in each of the Mario RPGs (including the Paper Mario games and the Mario & Luigi games) are all different, quirky, and interesting enough that they could have been written into adventure games rather than RPGs if the developers had chosen to go that route.

• Why is this thread still going on? Surely, 3 pages are enough to explain why this is just a bad idea, plus we have a perfectly good thread about other characters we'd want at the Inventory.

• Anyone who says Sonic doesn't have enough personality to be in an adventure game is wrong. Sonic is built on attitude, dude.

• @Secret Fawful said: Anyone who says Sonic doesn't have enough personality to be in an adventure game is wrong. Sonic is built on attitude, dude.

wow, just wow. i'm not going to even try to argue about that because its gonna be impossible to convince people such as you.

• @GaryCXJk said: Okay, here's some insight on why a pure adventure game wouldn't work for either series.

Sonic's important thing is his speed. The reason Sonic Chronicles probably failed? Lack of speed. Sonic is all about speed.

So yeah. Adventure games would not work on either character.

Expect Poker Night at the Inventory is not an adventure game.

• @Clord said: Expect Poker Night at the Inventory is not an adventure game.

ur right, its a comedic card game, and do u really think either sonic or mario have a good enough personality to be in it?

• The Heavy has the personality of a doorstop. He is a character made for FPS's, yet the humor in his stupidity and doorstopishness is what makes him popular and got him into this game. Now you are trying to say that Sonic....has less personality...than the HEAVY?

Oh, and I'd like to know what you mean by "people such as you". What does that strawman phrase even mean? Did you even have a meaning? What is that? Oooh I'm suddenly in this unexplained category. This category with no meaning or context has rendered me so wrong. I'm rendered incapable of an intelligent opinion because I'm suddenly in the category of "people such as me".

• @koiboi59 said: ur right, its a comedic card game, and do u really think either sonic or mario have a good enough personality to be in it?

I think that both of those characters would not fit in.

Add Comment