User Avatar Image

Sam and Max: Hit the Road - REMAKE?

posted by Jshadow on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Now, we all remember that these past 2 years, Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revange, the 2 great Lucas Arts classics were remade in new and improved graphics, better music and voice acting.
Now that that's been settled, can we expect the same happening to the pride and joy of the world of our k9 cop and his rabitty-thing companion, that's is Hit the Road? quite honestly it's a pretty big candidate, especially considering that Devil's Playhouse is comming to an end and Telltale will have to think of something, until they decide to make the next Sam and Max season.

what do you guys think?

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @girlycard said: I would rather if they didn't remake Grim fandango- seriously. They should leave that alone.

Why do you feel that they should leave it alone? I'd much prefer support for modern hardware.

Given the choice between backgrounds, character models, animation and cutscenes that were created to be viewed in 640x480 on the hardware of 1998 and the same things updated to work on current hardware/Operating Systems I can't understand why anyone would choose the former.

I'd imagine it would be a significant amount of work to update Grim Fandango though, making it the least likely to be revived.

• Remember, the voices were low quality, the music was MIDI, and the graphics were large and pixellated. I don't think they need to do the 3D style thing they did with Monkey Island, but maybe making it look a bit more like the comics. I'd definitely like to see it happen and I'd buy it if it did.

• For some reason, I just think that were it to get an update you might lose the original voices. Remastered music and redrawn graphics would be awesome, but I'd just as soon grab a steam (or otherwise) re-release.

• I wonder what Hit the Road would look like if the remake tried to make everything look like Steve Purcell drew it (basically if everything was remade to look like an animated version of his coloured comics).

• Since when can you play hit the road on Win7 Without a some-kind-of emulator?

If i remember that game is for dos based systems... so a re-release would be awesome, no remake, no changes just a re-release

• @SlasherMan said: Yea, I agree. Thats like Lucasarts making Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition... It dosen't need it.

DOESNT NEED IT? excuse me while i play monkey island 2 in glorious hand drawn 1080p, and on my xbox. oh what? there's no reason to play curse of monkey island in high definition or on a mac or console, you're right. i guess i'll just settle for artifacts, sound glitches, and general low resolution with scummvm. so, do we make a special edition or at least a rerelease? sheer nonsense, the graphics don't need to be drawn again, duh. could the voice quality be improved? yes. could the resolution be increased, yes. SHOULD IT BE NATIVE TO MAC AND XBOX SO THAT EVERYONE WHOS NOW PLAYED 1&2 CAN PLAY THE FREAKING 3rd GAME. jeez of course it needs a special edition, or at least a rerelease that will bring this fantastic game to consoles and mac.

• @Mr Nutt said: I wonder what Hit the Road would look like if the remake tried to make everything look like Steve Purcell drew it (basically if everything was remade to look like an animated version of his coloured comics).

This.

Instinctively, I agree that Hit the Road doesn't need a remake. Let's face it, as pretty as all the extras were for the Monkey Island remakes, the REAL reason anybody made and bought the games was so that they could hear Dominic Armato and company give voice to the characters. Hit the Road already has voices so it isn't crying out for a remake.

But then I imagine what an updated Hit the Road would look like with high definition graphics and redesigned characters that are true to Steve Purcell's art style and...yeah, I would absolutely buy the hell out of a game like that.

I honestly wouldn't even mind if they got David Nowlin and William Kasten to redo the voices. Farmer and Jameson were great in the original, but at this point Nowlin and Kasten have become the definitive Sam & Max voices in my mind.

• A remake isn't necessary, but a re-release is a different story entirely. It is a shame that Sam and Max's first video game venture is so hard to legally find these days.

Tales of Monkey Island is proof Telltale and LucasArts are willing to work together. And I'm sure Steve Purcell would have no problem with a re-release.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

@RAnthonyMahan said: A remake isn't necessary, but a re-release is a different story entirely. It is a shame that Sam and Max's first video game venture is so hard to legally find these days.

Tales of Monkey Island is proof Telltale and LucasArts are willing to work together. And I'm sure Steve Purcell would have no problem with a re-release.

what is the difference

• The only hit the road se idea i can think of is a "telltale edition" where the game is remade with the voices of the sam and max characters in the telltale episodes(And the very many people that arent in the telltale episodes can get there old voices) along witht the graphics and gameplay being like the telltale episodes.
    Of course that is just an idea, and I may be the only one that would like to see that happen.

Add Comment