User Avatar Image

Any difference between DVD install versus entire season download install?

posted by sfried on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

I was thinking about getting either the Standard or Deluxe Edition discs since I don't want to leave too big a footprint on my hard disk (approx 500 MB per episode), and not to mention I want to be able to play all the episodes without any "gaps" (i.e. cliffhangers) as if it were just one whole game.

Is there any way to play the entire season as if it were just one program? I have tons of icon clutter going on already, and it would be nice if I could play all of them by simply running one application, not to mention save game data would be read from one chapter to the next.

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @sfried said: It's like watching a DVD series season with all of the ads still in-between the commercial breaks.

A television show on DVD doesn't usually edit all the episodes together into one 20-hour movie, and I for one would be very annoyed if it did. Similarly, Tales of Monkey Island preserves the original episode divisions. :)

• @David Arthur said: A television show on DVD doesn't usually edit all the episodes together into one 20-hour movie, and I for one would be very annoyed if it did. Similarly, Tales of Monkey Island preserves the original episode divisions. :)

Oh, but they did it with the Star Trek Season ender/beginner when they released it as a "movie" :) . Similarly, I wish the game just cut right into the next chapter in much the same way the old Monkey Island games did. The recaps would simply appear after the chapter introduction.

Plus this technically counts as a 20-hour game with anywhere saving. It's not that same as a movie.

• @sfried said: Oh, but they did it with the Star Trek Season ender/beginner when they released it as a "movie" :) .

Bad example. Pilot episodes (if two hours) are usually produced as a movie and aired that way. In fact, separated reruns of those have usually about 4 minutes cut to make up for the additional "last time on Star Trek", intro and end credits sequences. This goes for TNG pilot and end episode, DS9 pilot and end episode and VGR pilot episode at least. Probably also for the DS9 season 4 opener and the VGR finale, but I've never seen separated edits of those.
    And yes, there are movie edits of other TNG episodes, but not within the regular release.

That gives me the idea: How about Telltale producing some Star Trek adventures next?

• @LogicDeLuxe said:
    That gives me the idea: How about Telltale producing some Star Trek adventures next?

Use "Technobabble" on "plot device".

Speakng of which, I just got my Deluxe Ed. package. Looks like it did give me one icon link for everything.

• @sfried said: (But I guess I'm just being nitpicky.)

Yes, you are.

• If you are worried about the game being heavy on your OS, then I recommend installing them through Sandboxie. Leaves no mark on your computer what so ever.

Link: http://www.sandboxie.com/

I've used it since I reformatted it, 6 months ago, and it's still running like a new machine.

• @doodo! said: I like to collect boxes.

youtubethumbup.png

Yes, thankyou! Someone with the same mindset as me. Nothing beats the physical copy, whether it be games, CD's, films, etc.

• @Hayden said: youtubethumbup.png

Yes, thankyou! Someone with the same mindset as me. Nothing beats the physical copy, whether it be games, CD's, films, etc.

So true, I buy all the boxes to my music and films, and games. :)

• Oh, thanks for the suggestion jannar. I'll check this out.

I still dislike the stingers in each ep. Same goes for BttF The Game and the teasers they show at the end: It's kinda pointless considering I have the entire game.

Add Comment