User Avatar Image

BttF attracting Telltale newbies?

posted by RAnthonyMahan on - last edited - Viewed by 671 users

All right, Back to the Future is a big license. (Well, maybe "big" isn't the right word, since this game will be the first new BttF thing in, what, 17 years? But everybody's heard of BttF, and it's definitely bigger than every license Telltale's dealt with before.) As the game draws closer to release, you can expect it to get a lot of attention from people previously unfamiliar with Telltale (I've heard a good bit of discussion on other boards already).

This isn't an inherently bad thing, of course. (How can more people being exposed to Telltale possibly be bad?) At the same time, though, we may have to deal with a lot of people expecting a new BttF game to be Grand Theft Auto: Hill Valley and saying stuff like "A point and click adventure? That's lame!"

Do you think that, closer to the game's release, we should make a sort of Telltale FAQ to give any newcomers the might register a quick rundown of what the company's about? We already have a FAQ specifically for this game, and that's great, but I'm wondering if it won't be enough.

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm sure Telltale will put up a FAQ on the Back to the Future site, as they have with past games. I don't think newcomers necessarily want Telltale's life history, just details on what the game is.

• BTTF seems to be attracting those who want a GTA-styled game, while JP seems to be atrracting a lot of angry Jurassic Park fans who don't think Telltale will be able to hande this. Which of course, will be proven wrong ;)

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Well, RAnthony, didn't you yourself register mainly because of the BTTF games? ;)

These are my safest bets about new posters who came here just because of the Back to the Future games:

ADAMATION
    Amb1089
    Billman
    BOXMAN8745
    Caffein Rage
    CarolinaJACKSON
    Chwbka
    Daniel~
    Doctor Who 88
    darkthunder
    encse
    evil rex
    FutureGirl
    FutureGirl88
    Jmac92
    kenkraly2004
    Master of Aeons
    mcfly88
    StevenMcFlyJr
    triforce08
    Vivek

By the way, welcome all. ;)

So, it's safe to assume that your theory is correct. With every new press announcement concerning the BTTF games, waves of new posters will enter the forums. About 25% never heard of Telltale Games, and about 30% will ask if BTTF will be like GTA. :D

• In all honesty, I came here because of the BTTF announcement. (Read about it over on BTTF.com). Before that I had never heard of TellTale games. For that matter, I had never heard of "episodic gaming" like TT releases. So this is all new to me. My PC is a 2001 built desk-top that is slower than all get-out, so I am really hoping this comes out for the 360. Based on the first press-releases I thought it was coming out for "all platforms," but now see the moderator stressing that the platforms haven't been announced yet.

All that to say, I'm along for the ride and will pick up Episode 1 as quick as I can after release date. I do understand that it won't be GTA, nor do I think it needs to be. I've got the in-progress GTA: Hill Valley mod for that. I love the character designs so far, just anxiously waiting for more info to be released.

• Gamers have become so damaged in the past ten or so years that they expect all of their games to have some kind of action and explosions in them to be in any way passable. I fully expect Back To The Future to be amazing, but honestly, it could be the make or break game for Telltale to get more publicity and interest from "their sort".

• Haha, thought my name would be amongst that list too, seeing as prior to the announcement, I was only a LONG term lurker and only had one prior post on the boards. The excitement of BttF has got me posting, to be true.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Trenchfoot said: BTTF seems to be attracting those who want a GTA-styled game, while JP seems to be atrracting a lot of angry Jurassic Park fans who don't think Telltale will be able to hande this. Which of course, will be proven wrong ;)

It's interesting with the GTA guys. That's not really the casual gamer clientele, but not the hardcore gaming guys also. Their hunger for exploration could be satisfied with TTGs adventures, somehow, but their lust for senseless violence won't be. Maybe with Sam & Max?? :D

• The only reason they do want a "GTA" game is obvious.

It's just about DRIVING IT around, time travelling the way you want and all.

I don't think the time spent on creating such a playable area would be worth getting rid of an epic story and details only an adventure game can give...

Though I hope we can have a few action sequences ... Not driving the car AT ALL would be like, shooting themselves in the feet.

• Personally, I find the GTA games entertaining but I get really bored if I just drive around and don't do the missions. And the missions get really long and repetitive, too. I don't know, when I was younger I played it all day, now I don't play it anymore because if find it terribly boring.

An age thing it must be...

• @Trenchfoot said: Personally, I find the GTA games entertaining but I get really bored if I just drive around and don't do the missions. And the missions get really long and repetitive, too. I don't know, when I was younger I played it all day, now I don't play it anymore because if find it terribly boring.

An age thing it must be...

I feel the same with GTA, except with SA. I could finish that one, and free roam was fun with friends.

Add Comment