User Avatar Image

BttF attracting Telltale newbies?

posted by RAnthonyMahan on - last edited - Viewed by 733 users

All right, Back to the Future is a big license. (Well, maybe "big" isn't the right word, since this game will be the first new BttF thing in, what, 17 years? But everybody's heard of BttF, and it's definitely bigger than every license Telltale's dealt with before.) As the game draws closer to release, you can expect it to get a lot of attention from people previously unfamiliar with Telltale (I've heard a good bit of discussion on other boards already).

This isn't an inherently bad thing, of course. (How can more people being exposed to Telltale possibly be bad?) At the same time, though, we may have to deal with a lot of people expecting a new BttF game to be Grand Theft Auto: Hill Valley and saying stuff like "A point and click adventure? That's lame!"

Do you think that, closer to the game's release, we should make a sort of Telltale FAQ to give any newcomers the might register a quick rundown of what the company's about? We already have a FAQ specifically for this game, and that's great, but I'm wondering if it won't be enough.

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Strayth said: Though I hope we can have a few action sequences ... Not driving the car AT ALL would be like, shooting themselves in the feet.

I suppose they could include some sort of chase sequence where you have to avoid obstacles in order to reach 88mph and escape but to be honest I wouldn't be too upset if there was no actual driving to be done.

@Strayth said: Personally, I find the GTA games entertaining but I get really bored if I just drive around and don't do the missions. And the missions get really long and repetitive, too. I don't know, when I was younger I played it all day, now I don't play it anymore because if find it terribly boring.

An age thing it must be...

Glad it's not just me. When the original topdown GTA came out I spent hours and hours doing the missions - and that one was a bugger to complete because, if I remember rightly, you had to reach 1,000,000 points (or something equally ridiculous) before you could move on to the next city and you couldn't save in the middle of a city. With the modern GTAs I play the missions for a while and then once I get stuck on one just drive around seeing the sites and causing havoc to instigate a cop chase.

• @guitarsareboring said: I suppose they could include some sort of chase sequence where you have to avoid obstacles in order to reach 88mph and escape but to be honest I wouldn't be too upset if there was no actual driving to be done.

Glad it's not just me. When the original topdown GTA came out I spent hours and hours doing the missions - and that one was a bugger to complete because, if I remember rightly, you had to reach 1,000,000 points (or something equally ridiculous) before you could move on to the next city and you couldn't save in the middle of a city. With the modern GTAs I play the missions for a while and then once I get stuck on one just drive around seeing the sites and causing havoc to instigate a cop chase.

Also had timed mission which usually ended in you exploding. Then you had to find the person to go onto the next city, and hope wasn't dead.

• I don't want a GTA styled BTTF game. I just want one that ain't a cartoon, that's all. And I saw the Raptor on the PAX video, it looks really good. Hope the rest of the game has a similar amount of hard effort and detail put into it.

Regards,

• ITS A WHAAAAT??! Point-and-click? Those that mean I click them and they die like Master Chief? TellTale, you have taken my hopes and swiftly snatched them.

• Actually, Telltale isn't developing the game anymore. Now Sierra is.

(Evil laugh).

• Darn you!!! After all Sierra put me though with the Ghostbusters game........

(evil laugh indeed)

• Except Sierra was bought out by Activision.

• Hmmm I have to admit i didnt join this site until hearing about the Back to the Future game that is coming out because Back to the Future is and always has been my all time favorite movie trilogy I'm familiar with the company and also the games they have produced and I can't say that I own any of their games but I have played them. I may like BTTF but I'm not going to make a screen name dedicated to the franchise i use the same screen name i always use for everything else which is also my gamertag on XBL and I like GTA but if they made the game anything close to that i would be pissed I mean yeah it will be cool to get in and out of the DeLorean which im sure they will do but if people are expecting GTA style gameplay they obviously arent true fans of the franchise and nee to be stabbed by midgets anyways thats all sorry for the babble but I agree with you 110% its ballaux.

• Welcome Nosferwolf. But geez, learn to breathe once in a while... long run-on sentences break my brain :)

• I am admittedly a BTTF fan who had never played any TT games before the announcement of the Back to the Future game.

Since I arrived here, though, I've been playing Sam & Max and loving it. It takes all kinds of ways to get a company's name out there, and owning some huge licenses definitely works, I guess.

BTW, I don't care if the BTTF game plays like GTA or Sam and Max or DuckTales or Mega Man or Fallout or StarCraft. Just as long as it doesn't involve Marty in a black sleeveless T-shirt, hula-hoop girls, bowling balls, glass-carrying guys, and the same awful music repeated over and over and over. Seriously, there has NEVER been a good BTTF game released, and this one stands an excellent chance of being not just good but GREAT!

Viva Telltale!

Add Comment