User Avatar Image

Steve Purcell & Status of Things

posted by mish on - last edited - Viewed by 307 users

How much creative control does Steve Purcell have over the series ?
What's your current target market?
I'm a loyal S&M customer (not fetish) and while I bought the whole season (after I bought 3 or 4 episodes) and other products, I buy it because I love Steve Purcell's twisted ideas. Steve's winning personality gets kinda drowned out in the games.

I think you guys oughta make Steve punch out more printable art. I have two pieces hanging on my walls and it's not nearly enough. The sketchbooks are a gas too. Oh, and more T-Shirts and stuff. Vynil toys would be insanely awesome too. JUST MAKE SURE THAT IT'S ALL DESIGNED BY STEVE!

What's the word on the reprint of "Surfin' the Highway"?

Don't be afraid to make the games more adult themed. The episodes up to Abe Lincoln Must die have been pretty kiddy-themed. Don't forget your biggest market is the people who grew up on Sam & Max and are already used to raunchy humor.

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It didn't seem that way to me :confused:
    But, oh well, opinions are always appreciated.

• Yes, Max has a lot of moments in which it feels as though, for want of a better joke, he simply blurts out a load of disassociated words (I feel it shows how unmemorable they are that I can't remember any examples, although I vaguely recall a string of such comments in Sybil's in one of the episodes. Something about summoning demons or... something). It reminds me of people who decide they're going to be the life of a conversation by being delightfully 'random' (which I've used in quote marks twice in this topic now, but I can't think of any more appropriate word!) - very forced and not well thought-out or even relevant. Of course, this by no means describes all the jokes in Season One. My particular favourites are Sam's observational comments, but he and Max have some brilliant exchanges as well in which Max can have a clever and witty contribution, proving that Max needn't be so childish in order to get laughs.

• @Christovsky said: It reminds me of people who decide they're going to be the life of a conversation by being delightfully 'random'.

One quote that jumps to mind is in episode 4: (quoting from memory here) "Did I mention I know pi to a thousand places? 3.14[numbers]". It seemed just a bit out of place.

I know what people mean about the punchliney jokes as well. But mostly, the humour's pretty good, and even the punchliney jokes get me laughing sometimes.

• The only one that really bugged me was "as vaguely referred to on TV!"

Seemed like a non-joke.

Other than that, I think the humor is pretty good, and it got better across season one, so I have high hopes for season 2.

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

@Badwolf said: One quote that jumps to mind is in episode 4: (quoting from memory here) "Did I mention I know pi to a thousand places? 3.14[numbers]". It seemed just a bit out of place.

Squinky (their former intern) may have to either confirm or deny, but I think that was an inside joke. She does know pi to a thousand places, I believe, and that line may have been put in there because of that. :)

• I thought season 1 was hilarious.. I do agree with the comments about Sam getting more sarcastic and funny lines though.. It seemed Max delivered 90% of the jokes

• @Mel said: Squinky (their former intern) may have to either confirm or deny, but I think that was an inside joke. She does know pi to a thousand places, I believe, and that line may have been put in there because of that. :)

Actually, that probably would've been funnier. The idea, which didn't come across very well, was just to have Max saying the absolute worst possible thing around Sam while Sam was trying to memorize a phone number.

• The humor is good but not top notch. The episodes would've been getting better reviews by average if the jokes would've been more incredibly funny more often.

But hey, comedy is hard as hell, here's hoping Season 2 improves on this.

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

@Chuck said: Actually, that probably would've been funnier. The idea, which didn't come across very well, was just to have Max saying the absolute worst possible thing around Sam while Sam was trying to memorize a phone number.

Squinky, you've really let yourself go...

:p

Seriously, I've heard her mention her love of pi and for some reason, thought I remembered someone saying that (or a bunch of thoughts collided inappropriately in my head.)

• Well that's to get the ball rolling.
    I believe that if we snowball this thread enough, maybe the kids over at Telltale will perk up their beady little eyes to what we have to say. Not that they haven't till now.

Yeah, it's a good point, Max does come out with very unrelated things very often. The directors and the voice actors should read "Surfing the Highway" at least once a month for inspiration. I find after reading through it that I come out with more smart-assed jokes than usual.

Add Comment