User Avatar Image

Nintendo 3DS

posted by Dragonite87 on - last edited - Viewed by 5.6K users

Hi Guys

What do you think about the 3DS. Is it awesome or absolute rubbish.

Mod Edit

As per suggestion, here's a list of everyone's Friend Codes for the 3DS culled from 70-odd pages of posts.

flesk: 3668-7300-2634
Irishmile: 4167-4638-8175
Harold B: 5284-1418-3404
JedExodus: 1289-8200-5637
Jen Kollie: 3652-1134-0177
Secret Fawful: 5198-2523-2237
The Highway: 3695-0084-8559

If you don't want your code here, or it's changed, let me know and I'll update this. - Darth Marsden

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jen Kollic said: Besides the whole 'no Pokemon' thing, that's pretty much why I'd still rather have a DS than a PSP. I used to want a PSP when they came out because they could be modded to run emulator software, including ScummVM, but these days you can do that on a DS too. The only PSP games I'd actually want would be Loco Roco 1 and 2, I can't think of any others that interest me.

What's sad is the 12 I'm counting some are updating PS1 titles, like Parappa and Persona.

• Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony, Resistance Retribution, God of War Chains of Olympus, God of War Ghost of Sparta, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Metal Gear Acid, Metal Gear Acid 2, Untold Legends Brotherhood of the Blade, Untold Legends The Warrior's Code, Mega Man Powered Up, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins, Gradius Collection, and that's just off the top of my head and not counting imports.

PSP is a good platform.

• Out of those games you listed, honestly, Ghosts N Goblins only appeals. They're either better fit for PC/PS3/360 or aren't my type of game.
    I'm not saying it's not a good platform. I'm saying, personally, it doesn't fit my taste. You and I have different tastes. Most games for it really should just be upgraded to either PS2/3/360 or PC versions. With the one I share with my brother he only plays Samurai Warriors and I only play Project Diva Miku Hatsune. I'm to be getting VC2 and 3 when it comes out, and Persona I've got the racist PS1 version, the rest I have on other consoles too.

• @Elvenmonk said: Most games for it really should just be upgraded to either PS2/3/360 or PC versions.

That's kind of a pointless thing to say. You could say that about almost any game on any portable platform, as well. For example, there's no reason Phantom Hourglass couldn't have been on Wii. Using a pointer to control isn't something you can only do on a touch screen, and having 2 screens has been almost entirely meaningless for most games.

Also, the only games I've ever found to be worthwhile on DS are the Castlevania games, and Contra 4. Many others were big letdowns for me. Metroid Prime Hunters, Mega Man ZX Mega Man ZX Advent, Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble, Children of Mana, Heroes of Mana, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, every single one of those games was a huge disappointment to me. Often, the touch screen simply adds unnecessary gimmicks and awkward controls, with no tangible benefit to the game.

• I guess I should clarify. Like Resistance Retribution is an FPS and should be on PC. Or atleast PS3/360 for dual sticks. a FPS should not be on hand held.
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - Feel like gimped counter parts of their console brothers, atleast to me.
    GoW not going to comment on as I don't like the series, and thus can't give a fair statement.
    I do agree some DS games should be on Wii, PC/PS3/360. Some however have a bit to gain on the console. Trauma Center was a game much better with the DS precision then on the Wii. Problem with the PSP with me is that I see no real gain for the games as you're just using a PS 1.8 without a second stick. Which, due to camera controls and other functions a second stick adds to the games put on the PSP I find needed.
    Basically for me it comes down to the PSP is just a PS 1.8 without a stick, but tries to act like a PS 2.4 with it's games. The games seem to be dumping grounds for developers to make quick versions of their PS3/2 counter parts. I'm always just left thinking "Why didn't they just add second stick support and port it to PS2 instead."
    The DS atleast feels different then the Wii. It doesn't feel like I'm holding a Wiimote (or GameCube controller) without a missing parts.

• The entire point of a portable console is playing games without being tethered to a TV, thus making a game for a portable console is done entirely because they want there to be a portable version of that game. With the logic you're applying, Game Boy, Game Gear, Game Boy Advance, etc. should never have existed as all the games on them could have been done better on that generation's current console hardware.

• @SHODANFreeman said: Also, the only games I've ever found to be worthwhile on DS are the Castlevania games, and Contra 4.

Your opinion is no longer legal tender round these parts

• Can't we just agree that the DS wins in software but both handhelds are ****ing awesome?

• @SHODANFreeman said: The entire point of a portable console is playing games without being tethered to a TV, thus making a game for a portable console is done entirely because they want there to be a portable version of that game. With the logic you're applying, Game Boy, Game Gear, Game Boy Advance, etc. should never have existed as all the games on them could have been done better on that generation's current console hardware.

You don't hear me saying those were needed now do you?

• @Snicklin said: Did you know that the PSP is still generations behind the DS? Think about it. They've only released four models of the PSP, when on the other hand Nintendo is just constantly releasing new models every two years, wasting their money into oblivion. Do you see what Sony's doing? They're saving it all up for the release of the 4000, which will blow the mind of any Nintendo fanboy who gazes upon it.

The PSP2 is expected to have a late 2011 release, so I doubt we'll see a PSP-4000 model.

Add Comment