User Avatar Image

Nintendo 3DS

posted by Dragonite87 on - last edited - Viewed by 8.3K users

Hi Guys

What do you think about the 3DS. Is it awesome or absolute rubbish.

Mod Edit

As per suggestion, here's a list of everyone's Friend Codes for the 3DS culled from 70-odd pages of posts.

flesk: 3668-7300-2634
Irishmile: 4167-4638-8175
Harold B: 5284-1418-3404
JedExodus: 1289-8200-5637
Jen Kollie: 3652-1134-0177
Secret Fawful: 5198-2523-2237
The Highway: 3695-0084-8559

If you don't want your code here, or it's changed, let me know and I'll update this. - Darth Marsden

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The second analog sounds nice, but I'll just stick with my 3DS. Especially since the PSP2 is supposed to be on par with PS3,so it's bound to be expensive as hell. Last I heard from the leaked info by WB studios. The back touch pad does sound stupid as hell.

• Overzealous developers are saying that the 3DS is "on par with the PS3". You can't compare the 3DS to the PSP2 until AT LEAST Sony actually ACKNOWLEDGES THE SECOND PSP'S EXISTENCE. And how is the back touchpad stupid as hell? It's no more stupid than a DS touch screen....less so, even, because you don't need a stylus to use it, it can be applied more easily to conventional controls, and it doesn't require a second screen that is a massive drain on battery life(in any electronic device, the screen tends to be the largest power sucker).

• How is a touch screen you can't see less stupid then one you can see?
    Also, I've been trying to think of a way it can be more convitonal. Since it seems to be a simple mouse tracker pad, as said the Kotaku post.

• @Elvenmonk said: How is a touch screen you can't see less stupid then one you can see?

It's not a screen... and since it's a pad on the reverse side, you don't obscure the screen with your hand (which, btw, is my biggest complaint about the two Zelda DS games). You also don't need to worry about how many fingerprints get on it.

Seriously though, there were rumors several years ago that this sort of touchpad was going to appear in a handheld at some point... the idea is that the game shows you where you fingers are corresponding to the screen in the games that use it.

• Still to use it properly (you know for it' full width and such) you'd have to put your hands at out rageously uncomfortable angles, and I see very little use for it.
    (Personally, I've never had the hand blocking the screen due to how I use my DS)

• @Elvenmonk said: You don't hear me saying those were needed now do you?

No, but saying that PSP games should just be console games is saying exactly the same thing.

(PS: Resistance Retribution can be played with a PS3 controller, as long as you have a PS3 and Resistance 2, but it still works perfectly fine even without doing so)

@Elvenmonk said: Still to use it properly (you know for it' full width and such) you'd have to put your hands at out rageously uncomfortable angles

Are you implying that playing a touch-heavy DS game for any length of time is comfortable?

• @SHODANFreeman said: No, but saying that PSP games should just be console games is saying exactly the same thing.

(PS: Resistance Retribution can be played with a PS3 controller, as long as you have a PS3 and Resistance 2, but it still works perfectly fine even without doing so)

Didn't know that to be honest.

"Are you implying that playing a touch-heavy DS game for any length of time is comfortable?" Yes, they are actually. I've played Trauma center once non-stop for 5 hours with no hand cramping or anything. Same with Zelda and many other heavy Stylus games.
    Aslong as you know how to work a pencil the DS' touch screen should be no problem. The PSP2 touchpad will have it so you'll need to touch certain parts of the back screen (I can safetly assume) and which I know my hands can't reach all the way behind a PSP, which would then make that uncomfortable as I'd have to lose gaming preformance by letting fingers up and sliding my fingers in the back around to go where I need them to go.

• Touchapad on PSP2 could be good, depending on what's done with it. Navigate game menus using the trackpad in fall next year folks!

• Didn't think this thread would be so old by now, but anyway I've got some disappointing news to share. Nintendo estimates the batteries will last only 3-5 hours when the 3D is turned up.
    I feared it would be wiser to wait for the inevitable successor, and with this I just might. I'll certainly have to wait for some practical tests to come in before buying one.

• I thought this was already established. Either way, it sucks.

Add Comment