User Avatar Image

Can't play ANY Telltale Games

posted by TwilightLord on - last edited - Viewed by 381 users

I'm trying to install and play Sam & Max: Reality 2.0. I download the installer from the site, run it... It gets halfway through, then gives me "Error decompressing data! Corrupted installer?"

I figure it might have downloaded wrong, so I try again. Same thing happens. A third time and the same result. I give up and go to play a different game, namely Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Battle of the Bands. Download the installer, run it... "Error decompressing data! Corrupted installer?" Argh.

So I decide to wait. About four weeks later I try again. Download the installer (Sam & Max: Reality 2.0), run it... "Error decompressing data! Corrupted installer?" Try downloading it again. Same error.

I have more than enough space on my hard drive, so that can't be the problem, but my question is what is? The error doesn't always happen at the same point in the installation process, but so far it's happened with two Telltale Games I've tried to install, despite multiple re-downloads of the install file.

Someone did post with a similar problem, but it was using a DVD, so the fix doesn't apply to me, since I'm downloading the installer directly from the website. Please help me, I just want to play the game already!

14 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Okay, I just tried downloading the game on another PC and got the same error, so it's definitely not a problem with my computer.
    Here's the details on my internet: it's a wireless broadband through a router. I don't have a cable connection, unfortunately.

Connection-specific DNS Suffix
    Description - Broadcom 802. 11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address - 00-19-7D-60-40-15
    DHCP Enabled - Yes
    IPv4 IP Address - 192.168.1.2
    IPv4 Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained - 21 October 2010 10:34:28
    Lease Expires - 22 October 2010 22:34:42
    IPv4 Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1
    IPv4 DHCP Server - 192.168.1.1
    IPv4 DNS Server - 192.168.1.1
    IPv4 WINS Server
    NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled - Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address - fe80::b50d:cbda:f5bb:9a35%11
    IPv6 Default Gateway
    IPv6 DNS Server

I hope something in there helps a bit. The strange thing is that I've been able to download games from this site fine before... it's only recently I've had this problem.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@TwilightLord said: Okay, I just tried downloading the game on another PC and got the same error, so it's definitely not a problem with my computer.

That's interesting. Was the other PC on the same router?

• @DjNDB said: That's interesting. Was the other PC on the same router?

Yes, it was. I don't have another router, I'm afraid.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@TwilightLord said: Yes, it was. I don't have another router, I'm afraid.

What router manufacturer/model is it?
    Do you have a network cable you could try with it instead, while disabling the WLAN connection?

• Like I said, I don't have a cable. It's a NETGEAR router.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@TwilightLord said: Like I said, I don't have a cable. It's a NETGEAR router.

Do you know the model number?
    Does it have an integrated modem?

I PMed you a workaround.

• The model number is WGR614 v9. I don't know if it has an integrated modem or not.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@TwilightLord said: The model number is WGR614 v9. I don't know if it has an integrated modem or not.

I found out it doesn't.

Since you got a corrupt file on 2 PCs on the same internet connection there are at least three likely scenarios.
    1. You have (the same?) security software on both PCs that corrupts the download
    2. Your Router is broken
    3. Your DSL Modem is broken

Of course there's also the possibility that the file breaks somewhere else.

1. Can be checked by downloading during a clean boot.

Clean boot:
    XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    Vista/7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

2. Can be checked by bypassing the router and connecting a PC to the Modem directly, or trying a different router.
    You can also try disabling SPI in your router configuration.

3. Would require a different modem for testing

• Okay, I tried the first two and neither did any good, and I don't have a different modem so I can't do the third. Am I cursed to forever have to download broken files from Telltale?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@TwilightLord said: Okay, I tried the first two and neither did any good, and I don't have a different modem so I can't do the third. Am I cursed to forever have to download broken files from Telltale?

There was a similar case with a defective modem once.

If the modem is broken, you will probably have similar issues with other downloads, possibly without noticing them yet.

It's not a perfect test, but you can download ubuntu cds from various mirrors and compare the provided checksums to see how many downloads are corrupt.

If you get a few broken files from different servers, you should really consider replacing the modem.
    Imagine how much problems broken applications can cause. In this case you were lucky, because the recent TTG installers come with an integrity check.
    A lot of files don't though.
    If you install a broken application, you might not notice anything at first, and run into seemingly random crashes at any time later on. In the worst case you install broken drivers at some point, which can crash your whole system randomly.

Add Comment