User Avatar Image

Confirmed: German dubbing and French subtitles (page 2)!

posted by taumel on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Just because one person at TTG offered his personal experiences, indicates in no way that the whole industry works this way. Put me on the opposite list where i worked on several projects where this worked out fine, once we found the right people.

Again with the right priority this can be done.

I find it kind of a questionable style closing threads in such a way. It has a bit of teenagers are moderating this forum, lacking experience and tolerance.

63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • By the way, my only questions is about TT "keepin' all these mysteries and secrets" about translations and localization being done.
    What are they afraid of?
    Is it so difficult to say "we have no plan to translate Sam&Max3 in French right now"? Or to say "We are making agreements for a Spanish version of Tales"? Or "Strong Bad will never be localized"?

Why it's all so super-secret? What's the problem? Why even close the thread and shutting down the talking aboiut it?

And BTW, there are many small software house doing localizations. Frictional Games - a 5 (!!!) members games company - released all their games in 5 languages within a year, and "Amnesia", their last game, was multilanguage from day-1.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@Bloody Eugene said: By the way, my only questions is about TT "keepin' all these mysteries and secrets" about translations and localization being done.
    What are they afraid of?
    Is it so difficult to say "we have no plan to translate Sam&Max3 in French right now"? Or to say "We are making agreements for a Spanish version of Tales"? Or "Strong Bad will never be localized"?

Why it's all so super-secret? What's the problem? Why even close the thread and shutting down the talking aboiut it?

And BTW, there are many small software house doing localizations. Frictional Games - a 5 (!!!) members games company - released all their games in 5 languages within a year, and "Amnesia", their last game, was multilanguage from day-1.

Having once done some work for a radio station, I can tell you that we were often made to sign agreements as to when- and how much we could- release information for things like CD releases. Telltale may be under the same sort of agreements, and may simply be unable to talk about these things. It's the same reason why actors have to be careful in saying what sort of projects they're working on, etc. It's written into their contracts what they are and are not allowed to talk about.

There are many reasons or these sorts of agreements- sometimes they're tentative and not yet reached price negotiations or the like. They'll tell you when they can. Until then, all we can really do is be patient.

• @taumel said: Just because one person at TTG offered his personal experiences, indicates in no way that the whole industry works this way.

I would imagine that Telltale Games' experience would be the most relevant information in a debate about whether or not Telltale Games is able to provide a translation. :P

• I wouldn't say so. If one car manufacturer pretends that it's impossible to design working brakes but all the others deliver, then i would more question the statements from that specific manufacturer.

• @taumel said: I wouldn't say so. If one car manufacturer pretends that it's impossible to design working brakes but all the others deliver, then i would more question the statements from that specific manufacturer.

That analogy is flawed, as (A) brakes are vital to car safety, and (B) brakes work universally; you don't have to create many different types of brakes for many different customers.

A better (but still not great) analogy would be a car manufacturer that only makes silver cars, versus manufacturers who make red, green, and blue cars. The other companies prove it's possible to make multicolored cars, but perhaps they have a contract with a company that makes different paints, or somebody in the company who can provide their own paints, while the first company only has access to metallic silver paints in their area. Maybe they'd even like to offer multiple colors of car, but they fear if they start offering a few colors, the floodgates will open and they'll have to offer EVERY color. What's more, they don't have the same contract with the paint company, and they don't have it in their budget to buy all the paints unless they remove, say, the car radio, and they feel the car radio is more important than multiple colors.

As you can see, I know even less about car manufacturing than I do about game design. :P

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

But this isn't car manufacturers. This is more like comparing cars, trucks, busses, etc. Yeah, they're all vehicles, but they all have different needs and problems, as well as different market audiences.

EDIT: Looks like I got beat. ^__^

• My take:
    If from day-1 they say that there will be localization in ie: French, Spanish and German, you avoid that fan-made subtitles appears on the web broking the market for an official import version.
    Do TT want this? I don't know - I think that fan-made subtitles give better (and sooner) sales of the English game through their website.

BTW, I know people that are already prepared for a BTTF fan-made subtitles translation.

• @doggans
    Nope, it's in no way flawed. It just illustrates in a very simple way what's going wrong here since years. More if you've worked on your own at other companies who build working brakes.

• @taumel said: @doggans
    Nope, it's in no way flawed.

Um, it IS flawed, in at least two ways, which I just explained and even helpfully labeled "A" and "B". How are MY points wrong?

• You're wrong because you're arguing like a politican, you seem to enjoy talking a lot but without the focus on what the discussion is all about. You seem to lack the experience for doing so, you exclude common sense and prefer getting on semantics and such instead of the core of what the discussion is all about. This might be interesting at high school or in similar places but it's mostly not in real life anymore. That's the point where it gets boring, at least for me, again.

So do you really expect me to continue your weird argumentation about brakes like to tell you that a) support of native language also is vital for a noticeable percentage of the adventurer players (people who don't understand english at all or this well or just enjoy their native language a lot more) and b) that a.o. Toyota has nicely shown that not all brakes are working as they should?

Come on, if you join the discussion then please involve some respect for the intelligence and time of the others taking part in a discussion and spare us the hot air.

Add Comment