User Avatar Image

How do you rate Ron Gilbert?

posted by doodo! on - last edited - Viewed by 144 users

Does Monkey Island make him a auto-legend?
Is he over rated, under rated? How do you rate Ron Gilbert.

Just curious. :p

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Irishmile said: I think Ron is really awesome... BUT... I think that Ron gets a lot of Dave and Tim's credit for MI.. I hope some day the three of them can make another game together.

Very much this. Dave gets even less credit than Tim does. :(

• @Scnew said: Ron Gilbert's great and all, but I think he gets too much of the credit for Monkey Island being as funny as it was.

Compare DeathSpank, made by Ron Gilbert, to Brutal Legend, made by Tim Schafer. DeathSpank is funny, Brutal Legend is HILARIOUS.

But Deathspank was playable, Brutal Legend messed up with shitty RTS sequences. Also, I think they represents two entirely different kind of humours. And since both of them worked on MI, the humour was mixed and made into something unique.

• @StarEye said: But Deathspank was playable, Brutal Legend messed up with shitty RTS sequences. Also, I think they represents two entirely different kind of humours. And since both of them worked on MI, the humour was mixed and made into something unique.

I thought Brutal Legend was great, but I played the demo of Deathspank and was thoroughly unimpressed. :(

• Brutal Legend was great, but the RTS elements dragged it down a bit. It could've been so much better had it only been a pure hack'n'slash. More interest in replaying it too.

On the average, Deathspank was no worse than Brutal Legend. It did what it was supposed to do, and that's it. Just like Brutal Legend. Tim is not known for bringing fantastic gameplay to his games. Both games had simplistic, workable gameplay that was second-rate compared to the humour and story. Deathspank bordered on extremely childish at points, but it also had some great jokes.

Quest-giver: "Why haven't you finished my quest?"
    Deathspank: "Mainquest or sidequest?"
    Quest-giver: "Sidequest"
    "Deathspank: "ah"

:D

• Ron Gilbert's credit goes far beyond just Monkey Island, he [co]developed SCUMM, the very system that went on to shape the adventure-game genre as we know it.

• My main reason for respecting him is for being one of the original creators of SCUMM. That's what led LucasArts to create so many great and memorable games.

Of course, creating Monkey Island is another good reason to think of him as an awesome guy. But so are the creators of the other awesome LucasArts adventures. :D

• I guess it depends what you reference him against. If you associate him with Monkey Island 1 & 2 then he definitely is. But you can't really put Deathspank in the same category. Also remember that Monkey Island came out nearly 20 years ago - nobody is going to stay on top forever!

• In regards to Deathspank - A character in the game "Eubrick" has discovered the secret of monkey island!!!! See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrV6Axz078s

But Ron is awesome. Naturally planting that same monkey island humor into Deathspank.

• @SM_Unlimited said: In regards to Deathspank - A character in the game "Eubrick" has discovered the secret of monkey island!!!! See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrV6Axz078s

But Ron is awesome. Naturally planting that same monkey island humor into Deathspank.

I screamed at the end.

Add Comment