User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey Island 2 looks unlikely.

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 558 users

According to a recent article posted on Kotaku, LA is making a series of cuts, including stopping outsourcing games.

[quote]We've also been told that another sweeping change made by Meegan is that the majority of "external" development of Lucasarts properties is coming to an end, with BioWare's Old Republic MMO to be the last game not developed internally at Lucasarts. That would presumably mean, for example, no more LEGO Star Wars or LEGO Indiana Jones titles after the upcoming LEGO: Clone Wars, as those have all been handled by Traveller's Tales.[/quote]

77 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @FitzoliverJ said:
    2) Lucasarts is prepared to let them do Tales #2, but only for too big a sum of
    3) Lucasarts is prepared to let them do Tales #2, but they're too busy in the timeframe allowed
    4) They do Tales #2

Based on popularity of the series, I think both parties woudl be idiots not to do ToMI S2. That being said, LA has a history of making stupid choices (like the aformentioned SW:TFU3 canceled - hell I know a lot of casual sci-fi nerds who are NOT LA/SW fanbois and LOVED TFU series)

If ToMI S2 is dead, I'd hope TTG would make the right decision and make a "Tales of Ape Island" or such, i.e. change just enough about the franchise to say it's a *new* Piratey adventure series that was *inspired* by the MI franchise I mean honestly, discounting Guybrush and his mate, the Voodoo Lady, and Lechuck, how much of the game was acctually MI? Based on the fact tehy created a whole new world and used only a handfull of MI characters in it, they shoudl be able to repeat this easily (likely using a lot of the same models, just altered) and make another Pirate adventure game.

EDIT:
    and after finding this thread through the closed thread in GC I'm still unsure WTF this has to do with "no more S+M games..." unless Steve Purcess just had a massive anurism and was redueced to a retarded vegetable, thus agreeing to sell all rights of S+M to LA... (which is possible, though as I said insanely retarded and thus unlikely)

• @Ashton said: If ToMI S2 is dead, I'd hope TTG would make the right decision and make a "Tales of Ape Island" or such

You mean Tales of Donkey Island :)

And I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do that. GPoVI wasn't near as good as Tales, or so I hear. But then, TTG didn't make GPoVI...

• @Chyron8472 said: You mean Tales of Donkey Island :)

And I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do that. GPoVI wasn't near as good as Tales, or so I hear. But then, TTG didn't make GPoVI...

hehhehheh I thought of that one "do you know the secret of Monkey Island?" "no, but I know the secret of donkey island *whisper whisper whisper*""EEEWW!!" lol

GPoVI?

• Ghost Pirates of Voodoo Island.

• you know, it's really sad that nobody from TTG is willing to step forward and say "we haven't lost the license" or "yes LA canceled our License" It's not like we're asking for the release date of ToMI S2, just whether there is still a CHANCE for TTG ToMI S2...

• @Ashton said: you know, it's really sad that nobody from TTG is willing to step forward and say "we haven't lost the license" or "yes LA canceled our License" It's not like we're asking for the release date of ToMI S2, just whether there is still a CHANCE for TTG ToMI S2...

I suspect that neither situation applies... they probably only had an agreement for a single game, and what with the company buzzing away with umpteen projects, negotiating for a sequel may not be practical until they can allocate potential time to actually make the damn' thing. So, saying "gosh we'd love to" is probably as much as can be said.

• I only come back to this forum to see if there is any news on the possibility of tomi 2.
    The less likleier it seems the less likeleythat I will be back.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Hayden said: Yep, agreed, there should be a 'Tales' Season 2 after the 'Back to the Future' and 'Jurassic Park' games.

I actually find that likely! ;)

So, a first BTTF episode in December, the last one in April. June or July for the first JP episode, conclusion in October or November; and maybe possibly the first ToMI2-episode in December 2011. Pretty please? ;)

• How about more Monkey Island?

Well Tales went great for us as well. From our perspective telling the story over five episodes and being able to work with those characters, to work with classic characters like Guybrush and Elaine while also introducing our own characters like Morgan and Winslow was a great experience for the studio and a great opportunity to do a Telltale game that resonated with people. We loved it, it’s been successful on every channel it released on, as have the LucasArts remakes of the first two games. So the sheer love that people have for that franchise was immediately obvious and clear. So we’d love to do more, we still have details that need to be worked out with LucasArts in order to get it done and none of those details have been addressed yet. They recently changed management over there and I think they’re working on their strategy for where they want to go in the future. As soon as that gets sorted out we’ll certainly bring it up with them again.

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/interviews/going-back-to-the-future-with-telltale-games/

this is from a interview with Dan Connors so keep your fingers crossed!

• With a new guy in charge of LucasArts, maybe he will allow Telltale to buy the rights to their adventure game IPs? They're going to waste right now...

*fingers crossed*

Add Comment