User Avatar Image

Tycho's voice

posted by tredlow on - last edited - Viewed by 532 users

So... Jerry Holkins, right? Do you think he's perfect, or will he be chosen just so that all the fans don't complain?

How do you imagine Tycho's voice sound? I always imagine him sounding like Randal from Clerks.

63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Personally, I don't really read the Penny Arcade comics that often. Now that I have seen the Poker Night trailer though, everytime I read one of the comics, it is in that voice. So for me, the voice is good.

• well he doesn't sound like i pictured him although in that scene he is sort of joking around instead of being angry and annoyed at gabe.

• I don't mind his voice actually. It doesn't sound like what I read his voice to sound like (did that make any sense?), but it is still good. Perfect voice for me, can't wait to hear more of his lines!

• I like the voice, i just wanna seen with him being angry, like a strong bad vs tycho delema.

• @koiboi59 said: I like the voice, i just wanna seen with him being angry, like a strong bad vs tycho delema.

That happens. Those guys don't get along.

• While not being the voice I hear in my head when I read the comic, I'm actually really enjoying how Tycho sounds. (Then again, I imagine Tycho with a Samuel L. Jackson-meets-American-Hugh Laurie-meets-Tim Curry kind of voice. I don't know how it works. It just does.) Like, it seems natural, and thank God it's not overly geekified and/or G4-ified. Not to mention I'm in the "Tycho Brahe does not always equal Jerry Holkins" camp, too.

By the way, did anyone else know that Andrew Chaikin/Kid Beyond was in American McGee's Alice? He was the White Rabbit, the Mad Hatter, and the...Dormouse, I think?

• User Avatar Image
    Jub

@OttersPod said: (Then again, I imagine Tycho with a Samuel L. Jackson-meets-American-Hugh Laurie-meets-Tim Curry kind of voice. I don't know how it works. It just does.)

^This

I can't even imagine how that combination would sound.

• @Jub said: ^This

I can't even imagine how that combination would sound.

Too awesome. Headphone blowing up, universe tearing awesome.

• Yeah, I'll have to echo earlier sentiments about being surprised that what we've heard of Tycho's voice being so well received, but on my end it does sound very very close to how I pictured it.

I was infinitely curious how they'd have handled the voice when he was announced for this game, and I think so far you guys (or well, his voice actor) delivered from that one line in the trailer.

• Yeah, quite happy with the choice for Tycho's voice, but in a way, I still wish there were an option to turn it off.

Don't get me wrong. The chemistry between characters will work much better with them all shouting at each other across the table (which is pretty much the reason why it's a well justified poker game), but Tycho is a character that I've been reading since 2003 (I know, the comic has been around longer, but I didn't have the internet until that year), and he's always spoken in a dialogue balloon to me, even in Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. Naturally that lets me put whatever voice my subconscious calls up for him, and has done so for years.

However, I'm still looking forward to the game, and won't be crushed if they don't have this sort of option (and I don't really expect it anyway).

I imagine people who managed to get their hands on Sam and Max before the original game or TV series would have similar feelings about Max. I never played TF1, but the Heavy probably didn't have a voice then either, so Strong Bad's pretty much the only one here that this protest can't be made against, so for the sake of fairness, I've taken a lot of words to say that I'm opinionated but not bothered.

Add Comment