User Avatar Image

Who else is sad?

posted by Shwoo on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Unmarked spoilers here.

Sad about the ending, I mean.

I haven't felt like this since Frosty the Snowman died. I didn't actually cry this time, but I'm not four anymore, so...

Even though I know it doesn't matter, I still miss original Max, and the credits were really sad. I guess I'm too attached to these characters.

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Reminds me of one of Oscar Wilde's aphorisms: "One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell without laughing." Seriously though, people can have different emotional responses to things they watch/read, and telling them that they're not responding in the 'right' way is pretty wanky. Unless you're the author/director/whatever, then I guess you get a say. (though I'm pretty sure that nobody would agree with Uwe Boll)

I did think it was kinda poignant that you spend all of the last episode trying to find a way to return Max to normal so that he doesn't get nuked, only for him to, well, get nuked. Had Sam then picked up his frazzled ears and made a hand-puppet out of them in this instance then it would immediately have lost any poignancy, but in this case he didn't. Of course, then Past Max arrives and the status quo is restored, and everything goes back to normal. (or at least as normal as things get) And I don't have a problem with that because hey, it's Sam & Max. But I don't see what's wrong with people finding it sad that the 'original' Max is gone. But on the plus side, at least Past Max hasn't had the emotional breakthrough that the 'real' Max did in wanting to save Sybil. Just imagine if the consequences of that had been a kinder, gentler, more cultured Max. Ewww.

• @ Giant Trope You say they can't see other people's view points but your being very hypercritical because you said before that the way you saw the ending was the right way and if anyone saw it any other way they'd be wrong. If your logic was true people would still not discuss Hamlet because the right way was he was mad or he wasn't mad but the fact that it was so open for interpretation is why it's still studied now.

• Allrighty, I'm going to come in here and say this. Sam is Sam no matter what dimension or time.

Max is Max

Both died, Both were re-united. BRING ON THE SEASON 4!

• @Sausy Gibbon said: @ Giant Trope

oh hey i haven't heard that before

@Sausy Gibbon said: You say they can't see other people's view points but your being very hypercritical because you said before that the way you saw the ending was the right way and if anyone saw it any other way they'd be wrong. If your logic was true people would still not discuss Hamlet because the right way was he was mad or he wasn't mad but the fact that it was so open for interpretation is why it's still studied now.

There are certain times where this is true. I'm sorry to say, but Sam and Max isn't one of them. But I digress

I actually had to think of why the fuck do I even care about stupid unimportant things said on a silly forum. Because you guys are partially right in the the fact that if you guys want to metaphorically frolic like children in a field of flowers that is the forums without opposition, you should be free to. 5 months ago, I wouldn't of. Or at least, I would have bitten my tongue. I think its because reality bit me in the ass and I'm at a junction between still wanting to post and being super cynical and not posting at all. So you guys are getting the bad side of me when I think things are stupid. So, sorry to get this side of me. I've said what I wanted to said, so whatever.

This cool story bro moment was brought to you by Giant Tope, for all your Topiary needs.

• @Jennifer said: I was sad when the credits were rolling and Sam was walking the streets so lonely and glum. :(

But, once Max turned up the sadness went away.

Or did it? I apologize in advance for revisiting this topic and opening any old can-o-worms. I was thinking of starting a new thread but decided this was a suitable place for this topic.

Is anyone else wondering what Sam might really be thinking? Has he truly left behind the events of the Devil's Playhouse? I think it'd be funny if TTG made a sit down interview with Sam and a Martin Bashir-like reporter discussing the Freelance Police's most recent case. Imagine the awkward pauses and camera cuts.

"Sam, would you consider yourself a put together person?"
    Sam: "Well of course. (Straightens tie) In what sense do you mean, though?"

"In your line of work there are, no doubt, casualties and the like.
    Sam: "There's no doubt about that."

"You and partner seem- close. How well do you deal with death?"
    Sam: "I- Well you see- (looks away) Camera zooms in as it focuses

I think I'd be laughing hysterically if this were just made into a 2 minute animation.:D What do you all think?

• I've been meaning to post in this thread for awhile now, but I didn't realize this subject would be so polarizing. Seriously, some people liked the humor of the ending and some didn't. Is this really something to get so angry over? I don't think anyone on either side of the argument is saying "You HAVE to feel sad about the ending!" or "You HAVE to think the ending is funny!" It really is up to interpretation, and we're just discussing it because (I think) we all find it fun to talk about these things. Sure, the creators had a particular idea in mind when they made the ending--namely that it was supposed to be so melodramatic as to be funny--and people who felt the same way laughed with it. That's fine. But we shouldn't begrudge people who felt differently, nor should we tell them "Just ignore it--it fits in the Sam & Max universe, so deal with it." We can all have different opinions and discuss them. I think that's part of what makes us fans of anything, be it a game about a silly crimefighting duo or classical films or whatever.

With that off my chest, here are my thoughts--I'm on the side of those who felt uneasy about the ending. It struck me as disappointing for two reasons:

First, I will grant that dei ex machina are a common occurrence in the S&M universe, but in every case I can think of where Max has died/the timeline has changed or whatever, the original versions of the characters have been brought back. Because of this, I don't see why it would have been difficult to employ a deus ex machina that brought Max Prime back. As someone mentioned earlier, a little flaming lagomorph asteroid careening into the ground near Sam would have been hilarious and would have still returned the status quo.

Second, Sam made a HUGE deal about the Max spores being fakes, so why does he suddenly consider a Max from an alternate universe, who has lived a completely different 2 years and change, to be just as genuine as Max Prime? Another ending that I think would have been fun is that if the clone pod had worked, then Sam could have traveled back to Hell to find his little buddy's soul and joined it to the clone body using the Soul Mater from Season 2. Either way, I didn't see why there couldn't have been a melodramatic ending that still brought back the original Max.

Does this mean I hate this episode? Absolutely not. Telltale has continued to wow me with each season of Sam & Max, and I wouldn't want them to change anything about Season 3. I just have one little disagreement with a creative decision they made, but I will agree that it totally fits in the Sam & Max universe and that it shows an astounding appreciation for continuity that doesn't happen in a lot of other games, especially not ones about a canine shamus and a hyperkinetic rabbity thing. Plus, if the ending to The City That Dares Not Sleep is never mentioned again, I can just pretend that my version of the ending happened and continue on my merry way.

Best wishes, all.

• I think since Sam and Max have known each other for decades, 2 years don't really make much of a difference.

The spores were different. They were evil little things feeding on people's nightmares. Plus, they only looked like Max but they were spawns from Max's butt or something.

Max is as "fake" as Prime Sam. They lived different things with their respective partners. It's just that we saw Prime Sam's adventures. Arguably Prime Max was a different Max too since he was radically changed by the whole "not into girls" thing.

I'm sure everyone has the right to feel whatever, and I can't argue with that, but I'm seriously puzzled by the opinion Max-in-the-time-machine is not as much Max as Max-who-exploded-in-space.

• I saw this thread highlighted and thought "uh-oh, now what?" But I came to see what's up. After reading the recent thought filled post I couldn't help but to reply, so...

@apocalypticmango said: .....I didn't see why there couldn't have been a melodramatic ending that still brought back the original Max....

Best wishes, all.

^^^ Potential material for a future episode....maybe. That's just the spontaneous way of the Sam&Max world. ;)
    Nothing to lose sleep over. Trust me.

• Also apocalypticmango, Chuck, the game's designer/head writer, mentioned that Max is a hive mind. So... yeah. No apparent issues with character continuity.
    Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Add Comment