User Avatar Image

Worst Endings

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 312 users

There are many films, books, games, etc. that are quite good, or even extremely good, the entire way through, but then are let down by a bad ending. Now, whether this ending be too short, too anti-climactic, too predictable, too far-fetched, too rushed, too cheerful and happy [that you eventually start to feel that it's overkill, and actually get angry] , too long and dragged out, or just poorly executed in general, they all have the same effect. You're left either unsatisfied or with a bitter taste in your mouth. But, unfortunately, so many stories suffer from this.

So, here's a place for you to discuss what you feel to be some of your least favorite endings.

72 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Snow-White and Rose-Red

I read the story on Wikipedia, and the ending's just DUMB. I mean, "Snow White marries the prince and Rose Red marries his brother"?! What brother?! There was no brother mentioned at all until the end! What, did they just made up the brother so that both girls have someone to marry and live happily ever after? Why would you even need two girls in the story?!

Sorry if the story's actually better than what Wikipedia said. But from what I read there, it's kinda dumb.

• @tredlow said: Why would you even need two girls in the story?!

I know why, but I don't want to or even have to mention that.

Also, in the version I read they just became good friends.

And in the version I had in my mind, the two girls had hot steaming... baths. To get themselves clean. Because baths were pretty rare back in ye olde days.

• Metal Gear Solid 2.

Now, I love the game and its story (IN THE FICTION, at least)...but the ending was hogwash unless you prefer to focus on Kojima's (kinda cultural) "point" about technology trapping us into becoming detached slaves of Big Brother.

Really, the story climaxes at the awesome siege of Arsenal, and goes into a LONG mind**** about the Patriots and gradually introduces retcons into MGS1. If you can follow, you win a cookie. Did I mention Ghost Liquid possesses Ocelot? Yeah.

So, Arsenal Gear crashes into NY...off-screen, apparently--no big deal, m i rite (yes, I'm aware of the unfortunate 9/11 undertones)? You SWORD BATTLE Solidus. Um...okay. So you kill this seemingly random villain and.....?!?!

CONGRATULATIONS, you win a no-prize. No big cutscene for you, just shots of the city as Snake tells Raiden he can go live his life and that our destiny is to take care of the next generation. And then another post-credits plot twist of doom. kthxbye.

Then MGS4 finally resolves the story with even more incoherent retcons to every canon MG game and gives a super-happy Deus Ex Machina ending. 'Cause we shouldn't take video games seriously & stuff.

• ^
    I thought MGS2 had one of the best game endings.
    I loved how the line between reality and gaming got blurred.
    I loved the philosophy and propaganda. Whether I believe them is another question.
    But you got to appreciate Hideo Kojima for weaving his anti messages in the game.
    And the game is easy to understand. It just takes one playthrough more than usual.

Owh and it didn't retcon any of what happened in MGS1.

• Well, agree to disagree about the gaming thing. That's been one of pet peeves since I played a demo of the original MGS: I was already immersed by the practically visceral qualities (the echo of Shadow Moses, the smoke and breath, having a team speaking directly to you, strategizing so that I could actually standing a chance against enemies)... and then Kojima insisted on smashing me over the head that I'm playing a game. To each his own.

Now, the story was confusing, just complex (mostly when just playing through for the first time in a while--obviously things seem much less arbitrary on your other runs). And Snake's monologue was definitely an anti-climax after all that.

Also, by retcon, I really meant that the *meaning* and context of some things in MGS1 was changed rather than actual occurrences being changed. Oops. MGS4 was much, much worse with this, practically guilty of character assassination in Kojima's hail mary to make sure every game perfectly interweaved rather than being mere sequels.

• *WARNING, RANT AHEAD*

Rayman 3.
    After a hard final boss, you press the stat button and that's it. That's the end of the game.
    All that happens is Rayman and Globox get back where they started and you get a short flashback showing how Andrea was created. If one ending made a otherwise great game bad, its Rayman 3. I mean, Rayman 2s ending was AWESOME. Rayman gets caught in a massive explosion and is presumed dead? WOW. Rayman 3? Ending ruins an otherwise fantastic game.

*RANT END*

• @Zetta said: *WARNING, RANT AHEAD*

[apparent rant]

*RANT END*

That's not really any more of a rant than any other post in this thread.

Rayman 3.
    After a hard final boss, you press the stat button and that's it. That's the end of the game.
    All that happens is Rayman and Globox get back where they started and you get a short flashback showing how Andrea was created. If one ending made a otherwise great game bad, its Rayman 3. I mean, Rayman 2s ending was AWESOME. Rayman gets caught in a massive explosion and is presumed dead? WOW. Rayman 3? Ending ruins an otherwise fantastic game.

*RANT END*

What made things worse is after that, we had the Raving Rabbids to deal with as they stole his spotlight(although ubisoft is now seperating the 2 since there is both rayman origins and rabbids travel in time)

• Mafia II. As much as I enjoyed the game, the ending really did it no justice.

Rayman 3.

*RANT END*

That wasn't a flashback, that was a reoccurrence.

Add Comment