User Avatar Image

Puzzle Agent impressions!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 3.5K users

PuzzAgent_puzzled_patron.jpgPuzzle Agent is here!

Get it
Official site!

Store!

Marketing!
What is the mystery of Scoggins?

What the heck is going on Scoggins, Minnesota? When White House inquiries to the Scoggins Eraser Co. are answered only with curious puzzles, the U.S. Department of Puzzle Investigation's Nelson Tethers is sent on the case.

As the government's sole Puzzle Agent, Tethers has his hands full: the strange case of Scoggins plunges him into a mystery that will challenge every ounce of his expertise, and possibly his very wits too. Tethers must overcome brainteasers at every turn, including mazes, logic puzzles and riddles. He soon realizes that these - along with the clinically pre-occupied townspeople, secret societies, and mysterious sounds from the forest - are intimately connected to the core conundrum. And what's with the gnomes?

---

So you guys have been playing it a bit, I hope! What do you think? Let's talk Puzzle agent!

296 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, that was mostly fun, though I don't know if I'd necessarily want to play through an entire season of it. Perhaps if episodes were spaced out more than every month or six weeks....

One recommendation I would make, though - the hints were usually no help at all. Either I solved the puzzles without them, or was still none of the wiser after all three. (And why "hint" at soemthing that's either irrelevant - like 24 hours on a 12 hour clock - or which is obvious from what's in front of you anyway?!)

• Just finished playing Puzzle Agent and I loved it!

All of the puzzles were really fun. Some I found very easy and others very hard, but I feel they balanced each other out and solving all of them was very enjoyable. Also I found the hint system really useful, I liked that you had to collect gum to use them and I often found I only had to look at the first clue to get my brain jump started; Helpful without being too obvious and spoiling the fun.

Annable's artwork is great and really complements the great story and characters. I would so buy one of those critters to stick in my window ;)

Really great voice acting as well. Bjorn in particular got me roaring with laughter all the time. Yep.

• This game is really wonderful! Graphic, story, music, atmosphere, puzzles... all excellent. Hope to see more episodes. =) I need it! :D

• I completed the game a couple of weeks ago, and it's still lingering in my mind. The story, characters and atmosphere are/is FANTASTIC. I absolutely LOVED the game. As much as I've enjoyed the other TT-games, this is the best, i think. Although some of the puzzles got a little repetitive, i still loved it.

Please make more..

• Late arriver to this game (meaning I got it free with BTTF pre-order) and so have only just finished it.

I REALLY enjoyed it, but when the credits started rolling at the end, was it just me, or did anyone else expect them to suddenly stop and the game to continue? (a la Guybrush in Curse of Monkey Island when he "dies" on Blood Island). I expected him to basically ignore his boss and go back to Scoggins on his own steam and solve some more puzzles to get to the bottom of what really was going on there. Maybe that was the idea for Season 2 though... (hint, hint)

I would have liked to see more logic type puzzles and less 'move pieces around to fit a shape' (found that just by randomly clicking and dropping you could get pieces to attach to others automatically and solve 70% of the puzzle like that - the rest was then easy), but that might just be me.

• Loved the game, especially the artwork, the atmospherics and the music. I was incredibly frustrated by some of the puzzles because -other people had said it as well- the instructions are not clear at all in some of them. For example, in the lifts puzzles, I had no idea what to do, because I didn't know all the lifts would move at the same time. In most cases I'd know what to do after the first try was rejected, but of course that hurt my rating, and :mad:

Game was too short for my taste, imho too

• I really REALLY liked this game. Wanted to buy it after trying the demo, but I was still hoping for a XBLA release; now I gave up about Telltale's support on Xbox 360 and renewed my PC, got The Devil's Playhouse and preordered BTTF having free access to Puzzle Agent too.

The full game really intrigued me, I enjoyed every moment, good locations, wonderful art style, perfect music and atmosphere... Loved the characters, the dialogues, everything is both eerie and magical, creepy and funny, always coherent and without dead zones.

Beautiful concept and design, something different from both a puzzle game and an adventure game, the way puzzle-solving is being stuck into the story is so witty!
    Puzzles are quite easy but not on the silly side, they're always honest and never stop you too much from enjoying the events; you actually WANT to solve them to see what happens next... And you usually get out gratified.

Sure there are possibilities to improve the experience, differentiate puzzle, adding more characters and locations, customize global difficulty and so on, but I've been impressed from the good quality of this pilot and would definitely buy a full series.

• I absolutely adored this game. My only complaints were that the puzzles were very inconsistent in difficulty (some would have me staring at the screen for more than an hour, while others could be solved at a glance) and that the ending could have used a bit more resolution. I understand the ambiguity, but a tiny bit more would have been swell.

• Thought the game showed promise, also thought it nice to see a different artstyle. Too bad I, like so many others, never got past the second puzzle. Planned to pick it up when I'd make my next larger purchase here, so quite happy it was given with the BTTF pre-order.
    So...yeah, impression is it seems like a nice game, too bad it's broken beyond playability and made me hold off getting the Poker night at the inventory till I could check out if it had similar game breaking bugs.

Bit of a pity really since I've got so many other Telltale games which I hadn't had trouble with. Problems with bugs never really crossed my mind.

• I got the game with BTTF pre-order. I sincerly was never going to buy a game called "Puzzle Agent", i'm not a puzzle fan, so i have installed it because i was bored, and it was free. Well, now that i've finished it in few hours i totally love it! The atmosphere, the music, the graphics and the characters were fantastic! I can't wait for the second episode, good work telltale!

P.S.: That gnomes will be in my nightmares :D

Add Comment