User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 18.5K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't watch many movies within a short amount of time, so I guess I'll rate the ones I've seen this year in order. Don't have much time to talk about them, sorry.

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland 7/10

How to Train Your Dragon 8/10 (could have been written just a little better with characters other than Toothless and Hiccup being well-developed and likeable, but it's still a fantastic movie that I'm proud of Dreamworks for)

Kick-Ass 7.5/10

Toy Story 3 9.5/10 (nearly perfect, but the nit-picks bothered me a little too much to ignore them, still the best movie I've seen this year though)

Despicable Me 7/10

Splice 4/10 (offended me just to watch it, I'm not sure how I was convinced to see it, either)

Inception 8/10 (great visuals, great concept, great plot, but sometimes movies that are overly-glacial bother me)

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World 9/10 (second best movie this year, I thought, I wish people outside of the internet would notice it more)

Percy Jackson and the Olympians 3/10

Clash of the Titans 5/10

Megamind 8.5/10 (I felt the characters were just a bit more well-developed and the plot was a little more engaging and unpredictable than HTTYD's. To me, this is more of my preferred style of 3D animation and Dreamworks' best CGI movie to date, but that's all in the eye of the beholder.)

• @GuruGuru214 said: So yeah, other than those two gripes, I really enjoyed it.

I count three gripes. Death toll, Eunice not fitting, and Eunice's boobs being fake(which you yourself admit is another gripe entirely!)

[/pedantic]

• Blade Runner: Final Cut, coincidentally enough; and I'd give it a solid four red stars out of five. Don't even bother with anything but the Final Cut version, though... Dashing.

ADDENDUM: Am I the only geek in the world who can't be arsed to give a single shit about Scott Pilgrim?

• @Rather Dashing said: I count three gripes. Death toll, Eunice not fitting, and Eunice's boobs being fake(which you yourself admit is another gripe entirely!)

[/pedantic]

True enough, that's three gripes, but one of the gripes wasn't exactly about the movie.

• @Comrade Pants said: ADDENDUM: Am I the only geek in the world who can't be arsed to give a single shit about Scott Pilgrim?

I'll join you in that. I'm sure it's good for what it is, but i've no time for films where meek little Michael Cera gets the girl, and so can you!!! As for the comics, i'm not really a comic guy

• I'm only an Image Comics guy, you know, gritty indie creative stuff because I'm an indie fag kinda guy. Don't like most serialized, extended series that go on forever without an end in sight, I'm more a miniseries or one shot kind of guy.

Scott Pilgrim is too....I dunno, "intentionally cult" for me. It's hard to explain, but the way it goes about presenting itself feels very self-referential, in a bad way. Like, "Hey, look what I just did there? I did a video game thing. There's an anime thing here too. See? Look how cool and nerdy I am". It comes off very insincere. That, on top of the fact that it's a bloody Mary Sue sugary sweet romance story for nerds just makes it not my cup of tea. I can't swallow or stand it, though who knows if it's actually good at doing that for people that want that, or something. I've liked dumb things before, so maybe this is somebody's entertainment equivalent of comfort food or something, I guess. I just don't like when something without much substance is lauded as some great thing, you know? Yeah. I'm done talkin now.

• @Rather Dashing said: Image Comics

Time for a little word association, moi druga.

Image Comics : Rob Liefeld.

• Cutthroat Island: 5/10 Dear Christ, I could see why this movie sunk Geena Davis' career. slow meandering plot, bad costumes, bad dialogue and SHAW (I will kill you for this Modine, I don't care if you were Joker in Full Metal Jacket, that doesn't excuse this). I was bored and very irritated. This is not the worst movie I've seen (Manos the Hands of Fate will always get that, methinks), but it was certainly a waste of 2 hours.

District 9: ?/10. This is a movie I've seen three times and still don't know how I feel about it. It's not BAD, by any stretch of the imagination (as someone who makes a hobby out of purposely watching bad movies, I KNOW a bad movie when I see one) but I just didn't love it either. I'm not even 'meh' on it I just...don't know. I think I'm leaning towards liking it, but even then I'm in this weird limbo about the whole experience.

Leprechaun: 3.5/10 Why did I decide to revisit this? Do I hate myself that much? (The answer is yes, for those wondering.) Regardless, not the worst horror movie I've ever seen, but someone must have temporarily brain damaged me to make me think it was worth a second viewing...

@Comrade Pants said: Blade Runner: Final Cut, coincidentally enough; and I'd give it a solid four red stars out of five. Don't even bother with anything but the Final Cut version, though... Dashing.

Personally, I will disagree. I vastly prefer the Directors' Cut of Bladerunner to the Final Cut. The footage difference is enough to make the movie a little too meandering for my tastes, but, again this is personal preference.

• Cop Out - 7.5/10

I heard a ton of bad stuff about this movie. So I was sort of surprised when I enjoyed it. Though some people definitely don't get Tracy Morgan, so that may account for some of the bad reviews.

My thread spawned a spinoff thread? I'm so *sniff* proud. :'D

Add Comment