User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 15.9K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Giant Tope said: Have you considered the idea that, i dunno, perhaps you don't know your shit when it comes to cinema?

No I haven't. I'd like to see you prove it or are you just assuming I don't based on my opinion of this one film like all the other pretentious pricks?

I mean, instead of stating why you don't like the film, you just went: BAWWW YOU'RE MEAN I DON'T LIKE THE FILM NOW.

I stated clearly my greatest reason for not liking it. Let me make it nice and big for you so you can't possibly generalize my rational explanations into sentences that make me sound like a retarded toddler.

It's technically skillful but I didn't enjoy watching it. I didn't care about Kane, I didn't care about Rosebud, I didn't care about anyone. I have no personal connection to this film and I never will.

Oh, and shouldn't that be BAWWWW You're mean I didn't like the film before and you've made me have an even lower opinion of it because you're mean?

• @Secret Fawful said: No I haven't. I'd like to see you prove it or are you just assuming I don't based on my opinion of this one film like all the other pretentious pricks?

I stated clearly my greatest reason for not liking it. Let me make it nice and big for you so you can't possibly generalize my rational explanations into sentences that make me sound like a retarded toddler.

It's technically skillful but I didn't enjoy watching it. I didn't care about Kane, I didn't care about Rosebud, I didn't care about anyone. I have no personal connection to this film and I never will.

Oh, and shouldn't that be BAWWWW You're mean I didn't like the film before and you've made me have an even lower opinion of it because you're mean?

...Let's be friends.

• I felt this deserved a pointed separate post.

Notice how I haven't told you guys your opinions suck or you don't know shit about film because you differ from my opinion? Yeah I didn't go there. Because I'm not an asshole. Okay, I am an asshole, happily, but not in this case. I'm trying to be respectful and failing hard. That's hard to maintain when I end up in front of the firing squad.

I'm starting to think I should make this my new avatar around here nowadays-

2mhaf42.jpg

• I think to appreciate Citizen Kane, you need to watch it not as a spectator who wants to watch a story, feel involved in it, moved by it, etc, but as an art critic judging and analyzing it based on skill, and not based on the impression one gets when they're watching it for enjoyment (like people typically watch movies).
    In some ways, it's more of a documentary than a movie in the more usual meaning of the term.

I think it's a bit like the Mona Lisa. If you just look at it, it's a yellow woman who's not very good looking. But if you're an art student, you see so many painting techniques characteristic of the time, and the Mona Lisa is one painting that encompasses them all. As a result, it's a good representation of all the new breakthroughs in paintings in Vinci's time.

As a piece of entertainment, I would say Kane fails utterly, in my opinion. I didn't care about any of the characters and I managed to forget most of the details before the movie was even over, because none of them seemed relevant to anything. But technically, it's certainly impressive, and I think that's why it's worth seeing, and why it's considered such a great movie.

• ^this

Yes, and those are all valid points that I will willingly agree with them. However, most times one comes into a movie to be entertained and if one does not come into Citizen Kane with the correct mindset, it is a completely unenjoyable experience. Dune is actually similar in this regard now that I think about it...

• I have never seen Citizen Kane, I wonder if now I will be jumped on more than the people who dislike it. (it's ok I deserve it)

• I was disappointed to see the lack of canes in that film.

But yeah... everything's been said already on this topic, so I'll just add this: Thank the gods of good taste that Hollywood hasn't remade Citizen Kane. Can't we all get along under this great truth?

• @Avistew said: I think it's a bit like the Mona Lisa. If you just look at it, it's a yellow woman who's not very good looking. But if you're an art student, you see so many painting techniques characteristic of the time, and the Mona Lisa is one painting that encompasses them all.

This. It pretty much sums up why I don't read movie reviews, (unless they're hilariously negative) what entertains me won't necessarily entertain others. (hell, I love Wild Wild West and apparently that makes me a heretic even if I have seen the original series as well)

And I really don't like it when people say "if you don't like X then you know nothing about films/music/gaming/literature". It's a bit 'Emperor's New Clothes' really.

• @Jen Kollic said: And I really don't like it when people say "if you don't like X then you know nothing about films/music/gaming/literature". It's a bit 'Emperor's New Clothes' really.

This is pretty much how I see it. It always rubs me the wrong way when I see someone degrading other people's tastes when they don't like something, even if a lot of people do. It could be a masterpiece for sure, but it's all on how people's preferences play out. I've heard a philosophy before that if someone is able to relate very heavily with a certain piece of art they're more likely to like it less.

Add Comment