User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 20.7K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @mgrant said: Watched a movie instead of sleeping last night.

The Road to El Dorado: 5/10 The last time I saw this was when the thing came out, and I have no idea why I haven't watched it since. It's actually a fairly good film with good humor and good animation. The thing that really drags it down for me is the Elton John musical numbers. The guy went from The Lion King to...This. It's just damn silly and not very well sung. This movie definitely better than I remember, but not as good as other animated films I've seen.

In my own personal opinion I would give it an 8/10, but it all comes down to the individual person and their tastes. So I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying what I think. :)
    I really enjoy this movie, and the music as well. Someday out of the Blue is really good, and I have it as an MP3. :)

• I'd probably give El Dorado a 7/10, it was a little poorly executed but it still had a fun plot and the main relationship it revolved around was friendship for once, and of course the animation was great. Prince of Egypt gets a 9.5/10 from me, which is probably still the best (and first!) Dreamworks animation ever. I think El Dorado was the last "good" Dreamworks movie that was made before they went into "okay" territory with all their movies, (though Sinbad and Stallion are at least better in plot than most of their 3D movies) then it got to Kung Fu Panda and went into "good" again, went back to mediocre with Monsters vs. Aliens, and this year both movies got them into "great."

I just hope it keeps up, they might even step up to Pixar's level of popularity which would be awesome because rival competition would produce great movies from both sides.

• @PecanBlue said: I'd probably give El Dorado a 7/10, it was a little poorly executed but it still had a fun plot and the main relationship it revolved around was friendship for once, and of course the animation was great. Prince of Egypt gets a 9.5/10 from me, which is probably still the best (and first!) Dreamworks animation ever. I think El Dorado was the last "good" Dreamworks movie that was made before they went into "okay" territory with all their movies, (though Sinbad and Stallion are at least better in plot than most of their 3D movies) then it got to Kung Fu Panda and went into "good" again, went back to mediocre with Monsters vs. Aliens, and this year both movies got them into "great."

I just hope it keeps up, they might even step up to Pixar's level of popularity which would be awesome because rival competition would produce great movies from both sides.

Prince of Egypt gets the same rating from me, actually. gorgeously animated with a truly powerful musical score and a fantastic take on a traditional bible story. I think that's part of the reason I rate Road to El Dorado lower, because when I think of Dreamworks' 2D animation, I think Prince of Egypt.

I don't think Dreamworks will ever be the animation powerhouse Pixar is, but I do think they give Pixar a healthy dose of competition, which is always a good thing.

@PecanBlue said: I liked the Sean Connery one. I couldn't watch the animated one without constantly comparing it to the live action movie. Unfortunately, that made me enjoyed the animated one less (I wasn't enjoying it for what it was) but it made me want to watch the live action one again. I only saw it once as a kid.

Never seen the Sean Connery one. Sounds like I'll have to hunt it down for a look though.

• I just watched Megamind, and I have to say; I liked it. While, like most Dreamworks animated films, the pacing felt rushed, it presented ideas far more interesting than those presented in The Incredibles. Now, before you throw pitchforks at me, I must say that I'm not saying it's better than The Incredibles. There were some jokes that didn't work, but overall, it's pretty fun to watch.

Basically, Megamind is to Mark Waid's Incorruptible as The Incredibles is to Watchmen.

So... 8/10

Also, when the hell are we gonna get The Tick's animated movie?!

• @mgrant said: I don't think Dreamworks will ever be the animation powerhouse Pixar is, but I do think they give Pixar a healthy dose of competition, which is always a good thing.

Well who knows, their movies are getting in the caliber that Pixar's earlier movies were and I actually prefer most of their character animation and design over Pixar's. Toothless and Megamind are especially dynamic and expressive, much more so than any main character Pixar has ever done. It's like, almost anywhere you would pause in a scene with those two you get a face and/or pose full of expression and livelyness. (and to me, Pixar's best character design and animation has been in Wall-E) Of course, I shouldn't even be comparing them since they're so different of styles, but still.

I think I like to rate movies more on actual grades, since I think that suits my opinions best. Pixar has always been in the A's and A plusses to me, (with the exception of Cars and A Bug's Life, which to me get C's or C minuses at best) and Dreamworks has, after Prince of Egypt, (which was an A) tinkered on the C's and D's, sometimes getting an F here and there with movies like Shrek 3, (Kung Fu Panda gets a B minus) but this year they've moved to the B's or B plusses with their two major movies. Not counting Shrek 4, which I assume is bad, though I heard it's better than the third at least. I'll watch it eventually. But anyway, it's possible if they keep it up and learn from what they do right and wrong that they'll move to A's, and that's when they'll be on the level of Pixar for me.

Maybe they won't make as much money and recognition, but if their movies are just as powerful with their emotions as Pixar's are and they reek of actual effort every time, then it's all good with me. Megamind got pretty close, it really tried but, since it was mainly made to be a comedic movie, they couldn't have possibly made it too powerful, but it was still nice and subtle with their sad scenes. That scene in the rain, for example, was fantastic because they actually relied on facial expressions and the general feel of the atmosphere instead of heavy use of words to describe the emotions the character was feeling, which is a first for Dreamworks. The climax scene however, was totally emotional for a completely different reason, I know I got butterflies in my stomach because of it. (the "PRESENTATION!" scene I mean, I can't say anything more than that because it's a spoiler, but people who've seen it will know what I'm talking about)

I don't know what's going to happen though, it seems like it's going to be a slow year next year for both Pixar and Dreamworks, which would be a shame after such a year of good animated movies. I mean, there's Cars 2, which I don't think can possibly be better than the first, which was IMO, the worst movie Pixar has ever done, (not necessarily bad, though) but who knows. And then there's Kung Fu Panda 2. I thought the first one was good, but it wasn't anything spectacular, and if this sequel ends up being better and not another obvious money-milker like Shrek 2 and Madagascar I'll be pleasantly surprised.

• I really enjoyed Megamind as well (first movie in a while that I absolutely had to see twice in theaters). I'd probably give it a 9/10 for the same reasons given by everyone else, with the extra point being added for the fact that Hans Zimmer wrote the soundtrack (well, most of it). :D

• @Alcoremortis said: (first movie in a while that I absolutely had to see twice in theaters)

Me too, bro. I actually saw Toy Story 3 twice in theaters, once in a normal theater when I was visiting some friends in Orlando and the other in imax 3D when I was back in Miami and my little cousin wanted to see it. I don't think it will get ever old, but the second time in 3D didn't really do anything different for me.

THIS, however. I went to see it with a group from school after our class was done, right on opening day. Our animation teacher wouldn't shut up about this movie, and we were weirded out because it looked like crap from the advertising. I swear he's like a prophet of good animation or something. So we totally went to see it in a normal theater expecting it to be crap, and we were wrong and regretted it. :( So I said "this must look absolutely fabulous in an imax 3D" and went to see it as such with another group of friends. It was awesome, I fangirled about the "PRESENTATION!" scene twice as hard in 3D.

I should note that, this was in an imax 3D, which looks and sounds better than in a regular 3D screening, as it has a lot more depth and retains the same colors; usually I don't go to see animated movies in a regular 3D theater, it's either in an imax or a regular 2D theater because it's not worth it to lose the color.

Oh sorry is this the animation topic?

• @Rather Dashing said: Hell, the guy was singing the theme not 3 hours ago.

I knew I wasn't the only one bothered by the fact that I know that song.

Also, why wouldn't I not count?

• Sister Act: 10/10

I love this movie! Great humour, great acting, great music! The only real problem is that I've seen the film quite a few times now and it's getting to be a bit samey. But that's my fault and not the movies so I shall stick by the 10/10 mark!

• @Comrade Pants said: I knew I wasn't the only one bothered by the fact that I know that song.

Also, why wouldn't I not count?

Because I'm bitter. :(

Regarding the Dreamworks/Pixar thing, I still think Pixar tends to make better movies, but Dreamworks is definitely catching up. Frankly, Pixar's future looks kinda grim now with three publicly-announced films in the works and only one of them an original, not-sequel film. But then again, I wasn't impressed by Toy Story 3's trailer, and that movie turned out to be incredible, so who knows?

Add Comment