User Avatar Image

Why "The Heavy"

posted by Jub on - last edited - Viewed by 506 users

I'm just curious as to why Telltale chose specifically the Heavy Weapons Guy out of the entire cast of Team Fortress 2. Don't get me wrong I love the Heavy beingit here, I'm just curious as to how Telltale narrowed down their choice specifically to the Heavy.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Heavy is sorta like the "face" of TF2.

• It might have something to do with this series on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIf3kzXLu2Q

• @ThatoneJeff said: Heavy is sorta like the "face" of TF2.

Pretty much what he said. He features prominently in a lot of TF2 media, so he basically kinda-sorta is its main character in some ways.

• @plrichard said: It might have something to do with this series on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIf3kzXLu2Q

No that wouldn't be the case, Valve has a laissez-faire approach to machinima.

• @ThatoneJeff said: No that wouldn't be the case, Valve has a laissez-faire approach to machinima.

Yeah, but Telltale could know how popular Heavy is because of "Moments with Heavy" and asked for the rights for him. Valve's approach to machinima doesn't really have any bearing on which of their characters Telltale wants to use in their game.

• Well he is the funniest of the whole bunch.
    I would have loved to see the medic instead but the Heavy is okay.

• User Avatar Image
    Jub

@spd12 said: Pretty much what he said. He features prominently in a lot of TF2 media, so he basically kinda-sorta is its main character in some ways.

Kinda-sorta yes, but it's still interesting, for example What if everybody at telltale preferred say... The Scout? Would that have effected their choice? Also, the Heavy seems like an odd (though interesting) choice for a poker game, where-as most companies would have chosen a much more cunning character like the Spy for this role, Telltale chose to stick with the big gallute.

• The most logical choice other than the Heavy would be the Scout, but the problem with the Scout is he cannot shut up, so he'd probably get old pretty fast. Engineer and Spy's personalities are more subtle than the Heavy's, whereas this game -- since the selling point is really the dialogue -- works best with outrageous personalities. Pyro wouldn't work 'cause you can't understand him. That leaves Demoman, Medic, and Sniper. Medic would just seem a strange choice to me -- an important class, but likely not the first class people think of when they think of TF2. Demoman could work, and Sniper probably could too. But I think Heavy's just funnier. He has that deep but silly voice, he has the mildly broken English, and he's nutty in pretty funny ways ("What was that, sandvich?").

That's my take on it, anyway.

• @furrykef said: The most logical choice other than the Heavy would be the Scout, but the problem with the Scout is he cannot shut up, so he'd probably get old pretty fast. Engineer and Spy's personalities are more subtle than the Heavy's, whereas this game -- since the selling point is really the dialogue -- works best with outrageous personalities. Pyro wouldn't work 'cause you can't understand him. That leaves Demoman, Medic, and Sniper. Medic would just seem a strange choice to me -- an important class, but likely not the first class people think of when they think of TF2. Demoman could work, and Sniper probably could too. But I think Heavy's just funnier. He has that deep but silly voice, he has the mildly broken English, and he's nutty in pretty funny ways ("What was that, sandvich?").

That's my take on it, anyway.

And Soldier's not fun either.

Add Comment