User Avatar Image

Riddles of Monkey Island: time to recruit for this fan game!

posted by OzzieMonkey on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

Yes, that's right, I'm making a monkey island fan game after the fan game post on the tales blog (thanks SWP) inspired me to do so. Only
thing is, it's just the highway and me working on it, so I want you guys, the MI fan community to pitch in and help
make a successful game, whether that's giving story ideas or volunteering for a specific position. I'm also going to be holding auditions for voice actors aswel ( although guybrush is taken, well, at least one of them, hehe), but for now any contributions to content would be great.

Cheers,
Matt.

235 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Silverwolfpet said: How's this?



    Well that's... groovy! Great stuff... made me almost get my guitar and play along it!

    No, wait, i DID play along it!

    http://www.zshare.net/audio/8290154398df11ad/

  • Ok, I finally finished my auditions. The first link is for DeCringe, taking some familiar dialogue ;)

    http://www.mediafire.com/?ros4obi93ma9u3b

    And the second one is just me doing an improvisation for a possible narrator. And a little surprise at the end...

    http://www.mediafire.com/?5aexarjo1r8tzw1

  • I'm really liking some of the stuff I'm seeing and hearing here. I think that Trenchfoot's idea is great - it reminds me of Ricky Gervais' character out of 'Night at the Museum' (that being a good thing).

    And Silverwolfpet, that little tune is now completely stuck in my head. I also liked Edward VanHelgen contribution to it. Overall, that song really wouldn't feel all that out of place in an actual Monkey Island game. Great job!

    Edit: I decided to quickly type up a memoir entry. Of course, I'm a little restricted because I don't know many of the details of the plot/storyline. But, I did this mostly for fun. I don't actually expect it to be used.

    "The last thing I remember is being pursued by my arch-nemesis, LeChuck, through a series of mysterious underground tunnels with architecture unlike that I've ever seen. I tried my best to escape him, but ever corner I turned only led me back into his clutches. That was, until I defeated him. At least I think I defeated him. What began as a clear victory for me soon turned to confusion. My memory is hazy and I remember very little of the peculiar events that occurred inside those tunnels. It surely must have been a spell from the zombie pirate, what other explanation could there be? I have underestimated that undead corpse's powers in voodoo. How could I be so foolish as to think that I could actually defeat him with a mere voodoo doll? But for now, all that is on my mind is getting out of here. I must seek out the true secret of Big Whoop, I have to find Elaine and let her know I'm alright. And I must run as far from LeChuck as possible; for all I know, he could still be after me."

  • @Hayden said: I'm really liking some of the stuff I'm seeing and hearing here. I think that Trenchfoot's idea is great - it reminds me of Ricky Gervais' character out of 'Night at the Museum' (that being a good thing).

    And Silverwolfpet, that little tune is now completely stuck in my head. I also liked Edward VanHelgen contribution to it. Overall, that song really wouldn't feel all that out of place in an actual Monkey Island game. Great job!

    Edit: I decided to quickly type up a memoir entry. Of course, I'm a little restricted because I don't know many of the details of the plot/storyline. But, I did this mostly for fun. I don't actually expect it to be used.

    "The last thing I remember is being pursued by my arch-nemesis, LeChuck, through a series of mysterious underground tunnels with architecture unlike that I've ever seen. I tried my best to escape him, but ever corner I turned only led me back into his clutches. That was, until I defeated him. At least I think I defeated him. What began as a clear victory for me soon turned to confusion. My memory is hazy and I remember very little of the peculiar events that occurred inside those tunnels. It surely must have been a spell from the zombie pirate, what other explanation could there be? I have underestimated that undead corpse's powers in voodoo. How could I be so foolish as to think that I could actually defeat him with a mere voodoo doll? But for now, all that is on my mind is getting out of here. I must seek out the true secret of Big Whoop, I have to find Elaine and let her know I'm alright. And I must run as far from LeChuck as possible; for all I know, he could still be after me."



    Dude, those are perfect memoirs! Couldn't have put the story better myself. I think I'll have you on board for some writing. Maybe some ideas for chapter titles?

  • @OzzieMonkey said: Dude, those are perfect memoirs! Couldn't have put the story better myself. I think I'll have you on board for some writing. Maybe some ideas for chapter titles?



    Yeah, sure thing. I'd be happy to join :). Though I may not be able to devote as much time to it as I'd like, I'll see what I can do.

    Also: Just a thought, should we include LeChuck's skeletal horde? We never saw them in 'LeChuck's Revenge', but they featured heavily in 'Curse...'. So I figured if we included them, it would sort of aid the continuity (albeit unofficially).

  • @Hayden said: Yeah, sure thing. I'd be happy to join :). Though I may not be able to devote as much time to it as I'd like, I'll see what I can do.



    Cool, well if you can PM me your wave address we can discuss the chapter titles on there.

  • Anyway, game ideas should be discussed on our wave page so they are in one place. It won't spoil people who aren't working on the game.

  • @OzzieMonkey said: Cool, well if you can PM me your wave address we can discuss the chapter titles on there.



    Will do - I've just gotta make an account first :).

    @OzzieMonkey said: Anyway, game ideas should be discussed on our wave page so they are in one place. It won't spoil people who aren't working on the game.

    Ooh, yeah, good point.

  • UPDATE: I've got the program now. The interface looks simple enough to work with. Good to see you can input video in so we could make an entire game cutscene, something that lacks with AGS.

  • You should also check out Visionaire Studio. Sadly, it isn't free, but it has some very nice features.
    http://www.visionaire-studio.net/cms/welcome-2.html

    Wintermute is good too (and free)
    http://dead-code.org/home/

Add Comment