User Avatar Image

POKER NIGHT: Poker rules issues in game

posted by poingpoing on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

the blinds are being done incorrectly when it gets to heads up play.

during heads up play in texas hold'em the small blind is supposed to be the button and the big blind is the other player. the button/small blind acts first pre-flop and acts last post-flop. currently in the game, the button is big blind during heads up play, and this leads to the button having last action pre-flop AND post-flop.

I hope someone from telltale games can see this and patch the mistake.

113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @jp-30 said: I'm new to Hold Em. Just trying to get my head around a situation I saw earlier... So when you go all-in and your 'all in' amount is way less than the pot... If you win, you only win as much back as your stake. So the balance of the pot goes back to the person who put it in and he gets called the winner by Winslow as he is gathering the most money off the table?

Or am I confusing myself even further?

Basically if a player goes all-in, any further betting will go into a side-pot because the all-in player isn't eligible to win it. So if you go all-in with 200 chips and Max and Strongbad continue betting on top of that, chances are that their side-pot will be larger than the main pot that you are in. Even if your hand is the best on the table, you will not be announced the winner because the side-pot is larger.

I do, however, think it's hilarious that this was implemented to prevent "crazy sidepot situations." There are only 5 players in this game, which means a maximum of 3 side-pots (plus the main pot). OMG THAT'S SO CRAZY, IT WOULD TAKE 10 MINUTES TO ANNOUNCE 4 NAMES!

• @furrykef said: I probably edited my post after you posted this, but yes, it is a rule, and I even cited the rule from an extremely popular rulebook.

Here it is again:
    "Any wager not all-in must be at least the size of the previous bet or raise in that round." See rule 6 under "betting and raising" on this page.

[mod edit]

Trying to say that something is an official rule of poker is like trying to say that something is an official rule of beer pong. There are no official rules. There are the most common rules, sure, but that doesn't mean anything.

• I've heard a lot of reports on the Steam forums of people losing hands that they shouldn't have. Is that related to the whole side pot thing or is there actually a bug that's causing people to get cheated out of winning hands?

• @Origami said: ^
    Umm....technically the person that doubled-up his stake should be considered the winner.

Yeah, in that situation I had the better hand (and I assume got paid out accordingly), but the opponent was called as the winner, I assume because their takings from the table were more than mine.

These Side-pots (and the way they're dealt with at the end of the round) are very confusing to poker n00bs.

• @furrykef said: I probably edited my post after you posted this, but yes, it is a rule, and I even cited the rule from an extremely popular rulebook.

Here it is again:
    "Any wager not all-in must be at least the size of the previous bet or raise in that round." See rule 6 under "betting and raising" on this page.

http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/poker/chapter13-14.php
    14-2, 14-3

Learn to play no-limit.

• @emtwo said: Trying to say that something is an official rule of poker is like trying to say that something is an official rule of beer pong. There are no official rules. There are the most common rules, sure, but that doesn't mean anything.

By your logic, you might as well find it acceptable if Telltale decides that a straight beats a flush. I defy you to find a rulebook that has your version of the rule.

@emtwo said: http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/poker/chapter13-14.php
    14-2, 14-3

Learn to play no-limit.

Where does this contradict what I said? Certainly not in the sections you mentioned.

• @Kayube said: I've heard a lot of reports on the Steam forums of people losing hands that they shouldn't have. Is that related to the whole side pot thing or is there actually a bug that's causing people to get cheated out of winning hands?

It's almost certainly a side-pot thing when they're all in. They're winning the side-pot, but that's not being announced or displayed.

• @furrykef said: Where does this contradict what I said?

3. All raises must be equal to or greater than the size of the previous bet or raise on that betting round, except for an all-in wager. Example: Player A bets 100 and player B raises to 200. Player C wishing to raise must raise at least 100 more, making the total bet at least 3. A player who has already checked or called may not subsequently raise an all-in bet that is less than the full size of the last bet or raise. (The half-the-size rule for reopening the betting is for limit poker only.)

This is the important thing. You're right that there are some mistakes, but you don't necessarily have to raise the last bet in no-limit.

• That rule is exactly what I said, isn't it? (I've pointed out from the beginning that raising all-in is different, and in that case you can obviously raise less than the minimum. IIRC it won't reopen the betting for players who have already acted, though -- they must either call or fold.)

• @furrykef said: By your logic, you might as well find it acceptable if Telltale decides that a straight beats a flush. I defy you to find a rulebook that has your version of the rule.

I would have a problem with that simply because a flush is numerically less likely than a straight, but this is all hyperbole anyways.

Add Comment