User Avatar Image

I do not know how to play poker

posted by Irishmile on - last edited - Viewed by 503 users

Its true.... I have never learned to play...

But I bought this game.... just because I love TTG, and I am sure it will have some funny dialogue.... anyone care to teach me how to play before it comes out?

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

Texas Hold Em is a game where you really re supposed to fold like 3/4ths of the time. If you don't have same suit, a pair, or two consecutive cards, there's not going to be a good chance to get a nice hand.

• I did not know that. Makes more sense now, although it's still weird that Tycho is so much more fold-happy than anyone else.

• @ShaggE said: I did not know that. Makes more sense now, although it's still weird that Tycho is so much more fold-happy than anyone else.

Not weird to me. Tycho is almost certainly intended to be the best or most "solid" poker player, so it's not surprising at all to me that he's tight (a "tight" player is somebody who folds a lot).

• Wow, I am really out of my element here, aren't I? :p

I'm pretty good at Go Fish, though... did I mention that I wiped the floor with Max? ... Yeah, maybe I should let you guys hash out the intricacies, and I'll just praise Telltale on the dialog, haha.

• @divisionten said: Texas Hold Em is a game where you really re supposed to fold like 3/4ths of the time. If you don't have same suit, a pair, or two consecutive cards, there's not going to be a good chance to get a nice hand.

This also changes as the game goes on. At the beginning, with four opponents, there's a pretty good chance that somebody will have something better than your crap hand, so you should find yourself folding except on the really good hands. When it's down to a face-off with just one opponent, you can open it up a bit.

• I'm not that good at it either, but I still find it fun because of the characters involved. Losing doesn't feel so bad when it's Heavy Weapons Guy taking your chips and calling you a baby man. Of course, a lot of the game is luck too. Just by playing tonight, I picked up on a lot of the rules and card sets, though I still lost quite a bit due to taking risks and having bad luck, generally at the very end (I consistently make it to the 1-on-1).

I did win those sweet Shutter Shades for Demoman, though.

• @Irishmile said: So regardless of not knowing how to play I lucked my way into winning my first tournament....

Same thing happened to me. : D

I LOL'ed big time.

• Is it wrong that after reading most of this thread that I really want several of the fi...uh, I mean people, posting in here to come play a home game with me?

• Nah, that just makes you a natural poker player. :)

• I was lucky to win my first two games. Even got the Heavy's Iron Curtain. After that, it was kind of downhill... Maybe I should just move to hard mode and start practicing there.

Add Comment