User Avatar Image

POKER NIGHT: Poker rules issues in game

posted by poingpoing on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

the blinds are being done incorrectly when it gets to heads up play.

during heads up play in texas hold'em the small blind is supposed to be the button and the big blind is the other player. the button/small blind acts first pre-flop and acts last post-flop. currently in the game, the button is big blind during heads up play, and this leads to the button having last action pre-flop AND post-flop.


I hope someone from telltale games can see this and patch the mistake.

113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

    @NeatNit said: Ok, what the hell is a side pot and what causes it to be made?



    Side pots occur when at least one player goes all in. That person ha bet all their money. After everyone has finished calling the bet, any player who wishes to raise from that point onward puts that money- automatically- into a side pot. The person who went all in, if they had the best hand wins the initial pot ONLY. The side pot (or pots, if several people go all in on different bets) goes to the person who had the best hand after that one.

    EX:
    Player 1 100$ (A, A)
    Player 2 1000$ (9, 10)
    Player 3 1000$ (2, 4)

    At some point in the game, Player 1 goes all in. Afterwards, Player 2 and 3 continue to bet. and the rest of the cards are turned over. In the end:
    (A, A, 6, 7, 8)
    Player 1 has four of a kind and wins the main pot. Player two has a straight and wins the side pot. Player 2 has probably won more money than 1 (side pots can get larger than the initial one) and will be declared the winner. But Player 1 will still get the main pot and stay in the game.

  • Hello,

    I've experienced what looks like a problem to me : at some point, the game stopped asking me what I wanted to do, but as I never folded, I was still in.

    whathappened.jpg

    When it came to showdown, I did not get the pot, presumably because the game considered I was out, even though it stated that I got 2 pairs. Strong Bad got the pot. Is there a problem here? =s I don't remember all the details about the current state of the game, though.. I'm kinda new to playing poker actually, maybe I missed something. Thanks a lot.

  • @Klaad said: Hello,

    I've experienced what looks like a problem to me : at some point, the game stopped asking me what I wanted to do, but as I never folded, I was still in.
    -img snip-

    When it came to showdown, I did not get the pot, presumably because the game considered I was out, even though it stated that I got 2 pairs. Strong Bad got the pot. Is there a problem here? =s I don't remember all the details about the current state of the game, though.. I'm kinda new to playing poker actually, maybe I missed something. Thanks a lot.


    The game stopped asking you because you were all in. And I'm assuming you were still in the game after that hand, because you won the pot. However Strong Bad won the side-pot and that's the one the game announces.

  • User Avatar Image
    Jub

    So I folded, Max and Strongbad were all in, Heavy and Tycho folded.

    Strongbad won with 2 pairs vs Max with a pair of aces.

    Somehow I won the game, and the two were eliminated?

  • Yeah, of course... What else do you think should happen?

    ;)

  • Um, last time I checked, NeatNit, a player who folded cannot win a pot.

    This sounds very similar to a well-known bug that Telltale Texas Hold'em has. I'll be very disappointed if I find that this bug does indeed exist in this game...

    By the way, regarding the side pot confusion: I know Telltale has said that it works the way it does to speed up the pace of the game and to keep things simple. But I have to ask, Telltale... was that minor convenience really worth the massive PR hit you're taking from people who don't understand what's going on? Sure, I understood what's going on from the beginning because I've played poker a lot, but a lot of people here aren't hardened veterans, and many of them are thinking "Pair loses to two pair? This is BS. I'm never playing this @#!!* again." No doubt you're hearing a lot of people complain, but the number of people who silently get frustrated and give up is surely even greater.

    To put it succinctly: the cure is far worse than the disease.

  • @furrykef said: Um, last time I checked, NeatNit, a player who folded cannot win a pot.



    I think the little winky face means that was sarcasm. :) But I could be wrong.

    @furrykef said: By the way, regarding the side pot confusion: I know Telltale has said that it works the way it does to speed up the pace of the game and to keep things simple. But I have to ask, Telltale... was that minor convenience really worth the massive PR hit you're taking from people who don't understand what's going on? Sure, I understood what's going on from the beginning because I've played poker a lot, but a lot of people here aren't hardened veterans, and many of them are thinking "Pair loses to two pair? This is BS. I'm never playing this @#!!* again." No doubt you're hearing a lot of people complain, but the number of people who silently get frustrated and give up is surely even greater.

    To put it succinctly: the cure is far worse than the disease.

    I agree! And as emtwo stated earlier, at most you'll have 4 pots to announce. Why not just give us the opportunity to skip the announcements if we want?

  • @Xocrates said: The game stopped asking you because you were all in. And I'm assuming you were still in the game after that hand, because you won the pot. However Strong Bad won the side-pot and that's the one the game announces.



    You are correct, thanks for answering. Have fun!

  • @ebordeau said: I think the little winky face means that was sarcasm. :) But I could be wrong.



    I agree! And as emtwo stated earlier, at most you'll have 4 pots to announce. Why not just give us the opportunity to skip the announcements if we want?



    That's an option Iwant. I get tired of right clicking past him.
    Also would be cool to be able to mute certain players, but that's for a different thread.

  • I wonder if I can replicate this weird happenstance. I had a round where someone with a King High beat someone with a pair of something (can't remember what it was.) Is there any time in poker where a high card can beat a pair?

Add Comment