User Avatar Image

POKER NIGHT: Poker rules issues in game

posted by poingpoing on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

the blinds are being done incorrectly when it gets to heads up play.

during heads up play in texas hold'em the small blind is supposed to be the button and the big blind is the other player. the button/small blind acts first pre-flop and acts last post-flop. currently in the game, the button is big blind during heads up play, and this leads to the button having last action pre-flop AND post-flop.

I hope someone from telltale games can see this and patch the mistake.

113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @phil035 said: and another one was 2 full houses both the same but one person takeing more of the pot??

Sounds like the same issue I had, where 6 cards are being taken into account to decide a winner...

• Are you sure it was six cards and not a side pot issue?

• @HoboStew said: Good catch, I cant believe nobody saw this! I am fining myself $10,000. I hope we get a chance to fix that, we will see. Not really up to me unfortunately.

Given that this thread is full of bugs i reported when TellTalePoker first launched in '05, i wouldn't get super excited about your time frame.

• @serializer said: Sounds like the same issue I had, where 6 cards are being taken into account to decide a winner...

How is that even possible? There's no such thing as a hand made up of six cards. Did someone get a six of a kind?

*edit*
    Oh I see what you mean, two hands the same, but it appeared to use a sixth card kicker? More than likely there was a side-pot. I've played through about 10 tournaments, and I haven't encountered any of these issues people are reporting. I suspect a lot of these bug reports may stem from a misunderstanding of poker rules.

• @Arodin said: I've played through about 10 tournaments, and I haven't encountered any of these issues people are reporting. I suspect a lot of these bug reports may stem from a misunderstanding of poker rules.

All the "pot goes to wrong player" reports come from a misunderstanding of the rules (granted, the interface makes it very easy to misunderstand what's going on). The issues with raising less than the minimum and with the blinds/betting order being incorrect when heads-up definitely do exist and are definitely not misunderstandings of the rules.

• @Arodin said:
    Oh I see what you mean, two hands the same, but it appeared to use a sixth card kicker? More than likely there was a side-pot. I've played through about 10 tournaments, and I haven't encountered any of these issues people are reporting. I suspect a lot of these bug reports may stem from a misunderstanding of poker rules.

Well, I'm absolutely certain there was no side pot in this case. I play poker most weeks with a bunch of friends so I would kind of notice if that was the case. I totally concede I could have just misread the hands, but I'm fairly certain it's happened more than once. I'll keep an eye out and try to get a screenie if it happens for definite.

I think a major problem is perhaps that when the winners are announced, the final cards only seem stay on the screen for a couple of seconds, so it can be hard to look at all the cards and check whether the winner was correctly called. It might be easier if the cards stayed on the screen until "Deal Next Hand" was clicked, then there'd be time to double-check whether rules were being honoured!

@Arodin said: All the "pot goes to wrong player" reports come from a misunderstanding of the rules (granted, the interface makes it very easy to misunderstand what's going on). The issues with raising less than the minimum and with the blinds/betting order being incorrect when heads-up definitely do exist and are definitely not misunderstandings of the rules.

I agree most or all cases are down to this, but compounded by the cards not remaining on screen. As someone who has played quite a bit of poker, I'm still not able to read all the hands that fast every time. I can only imagine how difficult it could be for a total novice to understand what's going on! At least when playing in RL, someone who's fairly new can say "hold on, why did that person win?" and everyone can stop and explain the hand that just happened.

• I had an issue where it was just Heavy and I. The cards on the table made a straight of spades (pardon my lack of poker terminology) that had an Ace in it. Heavy had nothing in his hand, and I had an Ace. The game automatically assigned my hand to be a pair of aces while Heavy got a straight. And, before you ask, no, there was no side pot. Anyone else experience something like this?

• @Arch Evil Angel said: I had an issue where it was just Heavy and I. The cards on the table made a straight of spades (pardon my lack of poker terminology)

You mean a flush? :confused:

Maybe he had a spade in his hand that gave him a better flush? It's impossible to tell what happened if we don't have a screenshot...

• I did lose a pot as well, when me and Heavy both had the same full house, but he had better hole cards (that didn't come into play and shouldn't matter). There was no side pot.
    On the other time we had identical hand again, this time three of a kind with shared kickers, the pot was split between us.

• Just contributing to the odd stuff that happened to me:

Max own against my Straight with a Pair of Jacks. And to add insult to injury, Tycho won against my Pair of Jacks with a Straight (which is legit).

Add Comment