User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 20.6K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'd say my favorite part was where they ended, but that doesn't work because the last few pages of the final book comprise what amounts to the worst affront to literature this side of fanfiction.net.

• I have absolutely no problem with the Harry Potter saga, actually.

Well, except for one: Isn't it a bad idea to put all the sneaky, bigoted kids in Slytherin, all the brave kids in Gryffindor, etc.? The point of a school is not just to teach students about how life works, it's also to build character. If all the evil kids hang out only with other evil kids, they would always be evil! You shouldn't divide children based on their personalities, you should MIX them!

Also, why the hell do Witches and Wizards celebrate Christmas? Isn't magic kind of AGAINST Christianity? That's like rabbits celebrating rabbit hunting season! Unless Jesus counts as a wizard or something.

Also, Hermione Granger's parents may probably be one of the worst fictional parents ever. If you were two normal muggles, who does not know anything about the wizard world, who suddenly received a letter out of nowhere asking for your 11 year old child to enroll in a big, creepy castle with monsters and evil powers, what would you do? You give away your child, right? Instead of letting her go to a normal school and live in a world WITHOUT evil snakes and giant spiders.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd be mighty embarrassed if nobody correct my mistakes, for I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan.

EDIT: Oh, and in The Goblet Of Fire, when Harry's name was chosen for the Triwizard Tournament, WHY DIDN'T HARRY JUST BACK DOWN?! What's the big deal? So, yeah, no one has ever backed down from the tournament, but WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN IF SOMEONE DID? Does the world end? Does every wizard explode and die? That Twilight guy would still be alive if only Harry just said "Okay, fine, I'll not go."

• @DoctorCello said: LOOOOVED the Deathly Hollows sequence with the three brothers! I'd really like to know who animated that!

Now I've been hearing a lot of good things about this scene and am tempted to go see the whole movie just because of it. :( Maybe someone will try and drag me to see the movie with them, if that happens I won't object I guess.

• Finally got to see Scott Pilgrim. It was totally awesome and worth the wait :D

• @tredlow said: I have absolutely no problem with the Harry Potter saga, actually.

Well, except for one:

Let's play a counting game. You learn this one when you're like, four, so this should be pretty easy!

Isn't it a bad idea to put all the sneaky, bigoted kids in Slytherin, all the brave kids in Gryffindor, etc.? The point of a school is not just to teach students about how life works, it's also to build character. If all the evil kids hang out only with other evil kids, they would always be evil! You shouldn't divide children based on their personalities, you should MIX them!

One.

It's actually a lot more simple than that. All the PROTAGONISTS go to Gryffindor, all the ANTAGONISTS go to Slytherin, and the other two houses exist for arbitrarily-assigned side-characters and sporting events.

Proof:

-Would you call Crabb or Goyle "cunning"? Hell, even "ambitious"?
    -Ron Weasly is a cowardly bitch
    -Hermione strongly fits the definition of Ravenclaw
    -Hey did you guys see Neville Longbottom? Daring, nerve and chivalry my ass.
    -Every antagonist ever comes out of Slytherin, no exceptions.

Basically, the sorting hat is a bunch of bullshit, and he just assigns characters as plot conveniences.

Also, why the hell do Witches and Wizards celebrate Christmas? Isn't magic kind of AGAINST Christianity? That's like rabbits celebrating rabbit hunting season! Unless Jesus counts as a wizard or something.

Two.

The wizards seem to celebrate a far more secularized tradition of Christmas. I did not notice any overtly Christian imagery in either the books or the films' depiction of Christmas. And no, Christians can't really complain about it being "stolen", considering they stole Saturnalia first. You don't fuss when something you've stolen is taken from you, even if it's a different set of folks than you took it from.

Also, Hermione Granger's parents may probably be one of the worst fictional parents ever. If you were two normal muggles, who does not know anything about the wizard world, who suddenly received a letter out of nowhere asking for your 11 year old child to enroll in a big, creepy castle with monsters and evil powers, what would you do? You give away your child, right? Instead of letting her go to a normal school and live in a world WITHOUT evil snakes and giant spiders.

Three.

While not covered explicitly in the books(to my knowledge), when your child shows an incredible affinity for something, even something you may not entirely understand, the best course of action is to nurture that natural skill. I'm guessing that muggle-borns get a bit more than just the owl-delivered letter, using Voldemort's acceptance as an example.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd be mighty embarrassed if nobody correct my mistakes, for I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan.

Neither am I, friend. Neither am I.

EDIT: Oh, and in The Goblet Of Fire, when Harry's name was chosen for the Triwizard Tournament, WHY DIDN'T HARRY JUST BACK DOWN?! What's the big deal? So, yeah, no one has ever backed down from the tournament, but WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN IF SOMEONE DID? Does the world end? Does every wizard explode and die? That Twilight guy would still be alive if only Harry just said "Okay, fine, I'll not go."

Four.

The entire saga of the books is driven by Harry being a foolhardy, overzealous dickhead. If Harry Potter did not always assume he was right and always rush into danger, the entire first book would have consisted of them having a nice first year, and in the periphery Voldemort would end up maybe as far as the mirror before making no sense of the thing, muttering "fiddlesticks", and marching off discontented.

• I suspect i will burn in community hell for stating this but hey why not... :O)

I've seen the HP7a movie and whilst i didn't expect a lot, i certainly expected more, what a puny movie.

• @Rather Dashing said: -Every antagonist ever comes out of Slytherin, no exceptions.

peter3.jpg

• @coolsome said: peter3.jpg

That's a case of a conflict between two of the strong and established narrative rules. While he was an antagonist, he's a sniveling coward, probably the most cowardly character in the entire series. All the same, he was sorted into Gryffindor for plot convenience so he could hang with the magical animal gang and thus betray them. I suppose saying "no exceptions" was wrong, I should have said "no exceptions that aren't insanely stupid for reasons explained by another rule".

Add Comment