User Avatar Image

OFFICIAL 'TF2 Unlocks questions' thread (was: Question about unlocks not in Steam)

posted by Blooglspash on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

I plan on getting TF2 but I don't have it yet. The only problem is, I don't know if I'll still be able to get the items after I get TF2. Will I have to wait to play this game until I get TF2? Could someone please inform me on this matter?

Thanks,
Blooglspash

73 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Moleculor said: I'm seeing people talk about achievements. What achievements?

Also, I've earned two items so far. I don't seem to have them in TF2, and I don't seem to have a new key code to punch in. I'm not even sure whether I get them automatically or if I am supposed to get a new code to punch in. Which is it, and when do I get them?

And because I got the fifth degree when I asked this last night on a TF2 server, I'mma clarify:

I won the items last night. Yes, I personally knocked out the character who's items they were, AND went on to win the tournament, AND I got the pop-up screen saying "Congratulations, you've unlocked this item!" with the two buttons, AND they're listed as unlocked in my stats screen.

Did you buy the Steam or Telltale version?

• I bought it from Telltale's store (I like buying from developers direct when I can) but registered it and play it on Steam. I suspect that's important for unlocks and achievements.

• @Guhndahb said: I bought it from Telltale's store (I like buying from developers direct when I can) but registered it and play it on Steam. I suspect that's important for unlocks and achievements.

I didn't realize I could install through Steam too. Didn't even bother to look, since I knew I could with the preorder stuff through Telltale and Sam & Max, but felt like if I installed via that option I'd be "robbing" someone of money (since I didn't buy through Steam I shouldn't play through it).

Are the unlocks ONLY available through the Steam version?

• On a different topic, Jake said cause of how odd steam is set up, the tt version of the game does not give you the items. If you preordered the tt ver, you get the steam ver since that was the only way to get thepreeorder item

• @Moleculor said: Are the unlocks ONLY available through the Steam version?

Yes. You can get the code to install the Steam version here: http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks

• @Moleculor said: I didn't realize I could install through Steam too. Didn't even bother to look, since I knew I could with the preorder stuff through Telltale and Sam & Max, but felt like if I installed via that option I'd be "robbing" someone of money (since I didn't buy through Steam I shouldn't play through it).

Are the unlocks ONLY available through the Steam version?

If you have bought the preorder ver, you would be given a code to unlock the item. The code not only gives you the visor, but the steam version of the game. This is the only way to get the TF2 items, so you aren't really robbing someone of their money since the code is given to you.

• @thesporkman said: Yes. You can get the code to install the Steam version here: http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks

Didn't know they give out what I assume is the steam ver of the game minus visor for the TT people as well. That's good since it would suck for them not to get the unlocks.

• The same thing happened to me; Bought the Telltale version, won two items but never got them in TF2, and then today (after restarting my computer), my settings and stats were completely reset. But from what the FAQ says, you shouldn't have to play it on Steam to get the items:[quote]TF2 Unlocks! Holy Moly! How do I get 'em?
    Simply by playing the game! Sometimes a character is a little short on cash and will put a valuable personal item on the line as their buy-in. Be the person to bust them out of the table and your item will unlock in Team Fortress 2. And with Steamworks integration, you'll be able to earn TF2 items no matter where or when you buy the game.[/quote]I never got the two items I won, and now I have to win them again. I'm gonna try to win something in the Telltale version again to see if it'll work now, but if it doesn't, I'll be playing the Steam version.

• @Dr_Worm said: The same thing happened to me; Bought the Telltale version, won two items but never got them in TF2, and then today (after restarting my computer), my settings and stats were completely reset. But from what the FAQ says, you shouldn't have to play it on Steam to get the items:I never got the two items I won, and now I have to win them again. I'm gonna try to win something in the Telltale version again to see if it'll work now, but if it doesn't, I'll be playing the Steam version.

No offense, but I think playing the TT version again to see if you get the tf2 stuff would be a waste of your time since it is confirmed by the link that the sporkman posted and from one of the TT employees on the forums that the only way to get the items is throught the steam version.

http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks

Add Comment