User Avatar Image

Why Tycho?! Should have been Gabe

posted by slushee on - last edited - Viewed by 629 users

Lets face it.. those other characters "do" things in their genre .. gabe and tycho (while awesome) are boring outside of their fun little friendship.

Why wasn't Gabe as the Cardboard Tube Samari used instead?! You have a bunch of 'action' heros and then some .... guy ..... sitting there. At least the Cardboard Tube Samari would have 'earned' his way into the game by being an 'action' hero.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore me now.

Edit- and yes I registered just to say that.

15 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rather Dashing said: Max is about as comedy character as you get, I mean...he's a DAMN FOIL. He's a FOIL in a classic comedy duo set-up!

Max is the foil? Isn't it generally the case that the straight man is the foil in a comedy duo?

• @furrykef said: Max is the foil? Isn't it generally the case that the straight man is the foil in a comedy duo?

Nnnooo, that only sounds ironic...

• Being a foil doesn't mean to be a "foil of comedy", means "foil of a routine life" and generally is the one coming up with all the punchlines. Max is perfect for this term. Sam generally comes up with the beginning of the jokes.

• True, if it was Sam then Gabe would be better :D Now I want this :(

• @Falanca said: Being a foil doesn't mean to be a "foil of comedy", means "foil of a routine life" and generally is the one coming up with all the punchlines.

Huh?

From Wikipedia:
    The "straight man" in a comedy duo is a comic foil. While the straight man portrays a reasonable and serious character, the other portrays a funny, dumb, or simply unorthodox one.

Max is funny and unorthodox compared to Sam. That makes Sam his comic foil.

Max might be the foil in the literary sense of the term -- being the guy who throws Sam's own traits into sharp relief -- but in terms of comedy, which is the sense that Rather Dashing invoked, Sam is definitely the foil.

• To the OP: I actually wondered this myself, more or less, for a while. But, after playing the game, Tycho is the best choice, in poker playing as well as character. Gabe, being his erratic self, would play more like Max, as in going all in at the very thought of being able to win and losing almost every time. Tycho, as according to his character, plays carefully, which normally gets him to the end.

As for character, Gabe would cuss out Strong Bad every time he said something that pissed him off, and would most likely whip out his Cardboard Tube of Vengeance every time he got a bad hand. And he wouldn't have creepy conversations like Tycho, because all of his fetishes are copyrighted.

That is to say, I would LOVE to see Gabe in a future installment, but they would have to get a straight man from another game first.

• @OttersPod said: That is to say, I would LOVE to see Gabe in a future installment, but they would have to get a straight man from another game first.

Sam and Gabe? Hmmm...

• @Falanca said: Sam and Gabe? Hmmm...

Sam and Gabe freelance police
    Naw.

Add Comment