User Avatar Image

OFFICIAL 'TF2 Unlocks questions' thread (was: Question about unlocks not in Steam)

posted by Blooglspash on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

I plan on getting TF2 but I don't have it yet. The only problem is, I don't know if I'll still be able to get the items after I get TF2. Will I have to wait to play this game until I get TF2? Could someone please inform me on this matter?

Thanks,
Blooglspash

73 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • ....wait, what? Jake said that the Telltale version uses Steamworks, and as long as you run the Telltale version with Steam running at the same time, you should get the unlocks. I can find the thread if you'd like.

• @Rather Dashing said: ....wait, what? Jake said that the Telltale version uses Steamworks, and as long as you run the Telltale version with Steam running at the same time, you should get the unlocks. I can find the thread if you'd like.

Well, even if you do find the thread, it's incorrect, as I've been playing the Telltale version, and it doesn't have Steamworks integration at all. Not even if I launch it through Steam.

I downloaded and installed the Steam version, got my unlocks instantly. So the only way to get your unlocks in TF2 is to play the Steam version. Period.

• @Rather Dashing said: ....wait, what? Jake said that the Telltale version uses Steamworks, and as long as you run the Telltale version with Steam running at the same time, you should get the unlocks. I can find the thread if you'd like.

You probably read it wrong or read an outdated comment from him since he made a comment stating that because of how odd the steam intergration works, you can't get the items if you play the one from tt.

Going to find the quote.

From the countdown topic page 10:

@Rather Dashing said: TTG customers you can play on Steam if you don't want to wait -- Get your Steam code here http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2unlocks

Also note: Due to weirdness in how Steamworks works, playing in Steam is the only way to get TF2 unlocks.

• I was going to suggest that you link it to your Steam account.

• i think the TT version not unlockin the weapons was a last minute find, which would explain why the tt ver was said to unlock the weapons before the game was available..

• Hi.

I just ordered Poker Night at the Inventory, and during my first hour or play, I encountered two bugs.

First one (pokerbug raiseamount.jpg) : see the amount of $ to raise. It went wrong. At the point the game not playable. It did not hang, i was still able to go to menu, go to the stats, but none of the buttons at the bottom of the screen responded, so I was stuck. I had to ALT+F4 to quit.
    What leads to this situation is I moved the 'raise' slider, but I only had $100 left, so I was already All In.

Second bug (pokerbug_only1dealedcard.jpg) well ... see by yourself !

• Wow, I am seriouslyyy bummed out by what just happened - did I do something wrong? Has this happened to anyone else?

I purchased the game through Telltale and downloaded it. I played a bunch, won a bunch of tables/cardsets, and then I won the Heavy's special item. Next time I played, I clicked on the "retrieve your TF2 items" from the splash menu. It gave me a key, brought up my steam client, and I entered the key in. Then it re-downloaded Poker Night (e.g. to the steam apps directory). I played it from Steam, and all my stuff was gone. I figured that this was because Steam downloaded an entirely separate copy, so it was working off a different saved games directory.

So I just opened it from my Telltale copy of the game, and all my stuff is still gone! What's weird is, when I view the card/table selection screen, it will temporarily show all the stuff I had, but then clear it after about a second. The special item is gone, and all my stats/money are gone.

I thought I had just followed the instructions on retrieving my TF2 items, but something I did erased everything. Any ideas?

• That is true, sadly. You're currently unable to claim your prizes for TF2 unless you play the game on Steam, which has a different way of saving your accomplishments. This has been pointed out by Jake on forums before the release of the game.

It's also told by various forum users that the "claiming" link may or may not have that kind of an effect.

• Gotcha. I will just have to win the stuff back. It stinks that it erases everything (money, tables, cards, etc) without giving you a warning though (unless I missed the warning, that is a possibility).

Add Comment