User Avatar Image

POKER NIGHT: Poker rules issues in game

posted by poingpoing on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

the blinds are being done incorrectly when it gets to heads up play.

during heads up play in texas hold'em the small blind is supposed to be the button and the big blind is the other player. the button/small blind acts first pre-flop and acts last post-flop. currently in the game, the button is big blind during heads up play, and this leads to the button having last action pre-flop AND post-flop.

I hope someone from telltale games can see this and patch the mistake.

113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've finally found proof (not my pic) that straight flushes are sometimes being registered incorrectly. (Of course it could be photoshopped, but when several other people have claimed it, I'm inclined to believe it.)

Suggestion to Telltale: There are many open-source libraries that rank hold'em hands correctly and that have already been thoroughly debugged. Why roll your own?

• I called a hand with 800$ (while having 11,000$) after Heavy's all in of 8,000$. I wonder if I'm able to do that.

• @emtwo said: That's not a rule. Common house rule maybe, but not a hard and fast poker rule. EDIT: At least, not in no-limit.

Well ... seems like all the poker tournaments use that "house rule". It is a bit like saying that "3 strikes and you are out in baseball is a house rule"

• WayneFrancis - yeah, we already took that argument to its conclusion.

• @Falanca said: I called a hand with 800$ (while having 11,000$) after Heavy's all in of 8,000$. I wonder if I'm able to do that.

Yes, but then you end up in debt and the bank eventually takes your house.

Sorta. You can only put in the amount you have for obvious reasons. If there are more players still in besides you two, then a side-pot will be created with the rest of Heavy's money that you couldn't call and the other players could, so if you have the best cards you can't win more than you put in from each other player.
    If there are no other players, Heavy gets the rest of his money back (and man do I hate seeing that number slowly drop all the way down to 0 and then jump back up to 8,000....)

• I've had a problem only once;

My Pair vs Tyco's Two Pair. Announcer said I had won (which is wrong), but the pot was given to Tyco (as it should).

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

I just lost to Max's Ace High with a pair of Queens :(

• OK, guys. Every time you say "My [hand] lost to [worse hand]", can you please mention if there was a side pot or not? 'Cause if there is one, the issue has been discussed to death.

• Keping it short since I doubt I'm the only one who's had this problem:

The game does not seem to be able to properly recognise which hands of cards are worth more. Today I've gotten a straight flush and Heavy got a pair of aces. Somehow the game thinks Heavy had the better hand and since I went all in, I lost the tournament when I should have won. I've had other cases where I've lost with a three of a kind hand to a king high hand, a pair of threes lost to a jack high and so on.

I've read over it and the only response to this I've found is: "For the 10,000th time, it shows who won the main pot, not the side pot". I hate to break it to you, but this is not how texas hold 'em works. It is deterimined exclusively by the cards in hand, winning hand takes all. a winning hand does not 'lose' because there is a side pot. Whoever suggested this has obviously not played Texas Hold'em for more than 15 minutes. So no, this is a bug that needs to be addressed. I suppose it was too much to expect a game costing $5 would actually work...

• @Specula said: I've read over it and the only response to this I've found is: "For the 10,000th time, it shows who won the main pot, not the side pot". I hate to break it to you, but this is not how texas hold 'em works. It is deterimined exclusively by the cards in hand, winning hand takes all. a winning hand does not 'lose' because there is a side pot.

No, the winning hand does not take all. If that were the case, side pots wouldn't even exist. A player can only win the portion of the pot they invested in. The game does have a strange definition of "winning hand", though (which the patch will fix).

This isn't to say that the situation you describe is necessarily a side pot issue. It shouldn't be possible to have the best hand and lose the tournament on that hand...

Add Comment