User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 126.8K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Round of catching up game!

- I agree it's annoying that people assume you want kids or are going to have them/want them soon because you're a certain age, or because you're married, or because you're female. Or that you want to be married because you're unmarried and a certain age. And so on. What gets to me the most is the absurdity of pressuring people, having kids is serious enough that you don't want people to do it reluctantly, so what the heck?

- From what I've seen, there are lots of men who do want kids, men who don't women who do and women who don't. And I assume genderqueer and transgender people might want kids or not as well. I think the stereotype of "guys don't want kids, women do" is one of the most annoying one, both ways. For instance I hate when women go "well of course he doesn't want kids, he's a guy, just have one and he'll deal with it". I really don't think kids should be forced on people, that's screwed up.

- Guru, if she used to have a crush on you, there is a strong chance that she doesn't see you as a brother and might still be interested in a relationship with you. You hated yourself for not giving it a try the first time, do you really want to end up regretting it TWICE?

- This being said, she's just been dumped, right? You don't want to look like you were waiting for that to jump at her throat. Give her time. Of course I don't think there is much a risk that you'll go too fast but hey, might as well throw that out there.

- The "friend zone" isn't that inescapable thing you're thrown in a can't get out of. It's an excuse for not dating you because the person isn't interested, no more, no less. The actual cases of "I would, but I don't want to ruin our friendship" are super rare. More often than not, it's "I wouldn't, but I don't want to ruin our friendship so I won't say it so bluntly".

- As I said, the friend zone isn't inescapable. I was friends with Seamus before we became a couple. For that matter he showed his interest pretty much right away, and I turned him down at the time. Then a few months later, after confiding in him pretty much every day, becoming close friends, etc, I'm the one who went after him. If he had tried to avoid the "friend zone", I never would have fallen in love with him. Actually, as far as I'm concerned, the friend zone is pretty much a requirement if you want to reach the boyfriend zone. I'm not saying everyone is the same, but I can't be the only one who is like that.

- I have two friends who have been in love with each other for I think about 16 years. They didn't tell each other, got into relationships each on their side, she got married, he had kids, etc, then after 7 years or so of being friends and in love, they were in unhappy relationships and they realised they'd been in love with each other all that time. They left the other relationships and got together, and have been together even since. It's such a cute story, I couldn't pass an opportunity to tell it ^_^
    They still look and act like newlyweds, too. They're so adorable.

- Ginny, if you can get to PAX, I hope I can meet you there! I'm still not sure if I'll be able to travel yet. I just checked and they're processing the applications from March 2010 and mine got there in July 2010. When they process mine I should get a temporary card but I'm not sure what I will or won't be able to do, and they say it takes 9 months after that to get the permanent one. So I'm not sure exactly if I'll be able to travel for PAX 2011 or not. If I am, let's meet up!

• @Friar said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH7e-tPhFgE

I fear that this is what may happen with our mouse. All my roommates are squeamish about a mousetrap that actually catches mice. So, we'll probably use a cat.

• Every time I watch Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron I always wonder why Dreamworks didn't just make an adaptation of The Silver Brumby instead. Then they'd have had much more material for sequels at any rate. (though they only seem to make sequels for their CGI stuff now that I think about it)

• Something that has been on my mind for a long while, but...

Who the hell even wants a Leo doll?! I want an Aeris doll, not a freaking stinking Leo doll besides me in my bed.

On that same note, DO WANT.

• @Avistew said: - Guru, if she used to have a crush on you, there is a strong chance that she doesn't see you as a brother and might still be interested in a relationship with you. You hated yourself for not giving it a try the first time, do you really want to end up regretting it TWICE?

No, the girl who used to have a crush on me is my sister's friend. The girl who sees me as a brother is my friend.

- This being said, she's just been dumped, right? You don't want to look like you were waiting for that to jump at her throat. Give her time. Of course I don't think there is much a risk that you'll go too fast but hey, might as well throw that out there.

Oh, I know, I'm going to sit on it for a while for sure if I do end up doing anything. Trying to get her "on the rebound" would be a total dick move.

- The "friend zone" isn't that inescapable thing you're thrown in a can't get out of. It's an excuse for not dating you because the person isn't interested, no more, no less. The actual cases of "I would, but I don't want to ruin our friendship" are super rare. More often than not, it's "I wouldn't, but I don't want to ruin our friendship so I won't say it so bluntly".

- As I said, the friend zone isn't inescapable. I was friends with Seamus before we became a couple. For that matter he showed his interest pretty much right away, and I turned him down at the time. Then a few months later, after confiding in him pretty much every day, becoming close friends, etc, I'm the one who went after him. If he had tried to avoid the "friend zone", I never would have fallen in love with him. Actually, as far as I'm concerned, the friend zone is pretty much a requirement if you want to reach the boyfriend zone. I'm not saying everyone is the same, but I can't be the only one who is like that.

- I have two friends who have been in love with each other for I think about 16 years. They didn't tell each other, got into relationships each on their side, she got married, he had kids, etc, then after 7 years or so of being friends and in love, they were in unhappy relationships and they realised they'd been in love with each other all that time. They left the other relationships and got together, and have been together even since. It's such a cute story, I couldn't pass an opportunity to tell it ^_^
    They still look and act like newlyweds, too. They're so adorable.

Not much chance of that, I'm afraid. I've confessed, I've been told explicitly that she sees me as a brother, in those words, and I applied the "friend zone" term myself. It's never going to happen.

• Girls?

(ehm, that's to the Leo Doll question)

EDIT: ^ You missed the story of my GF saying that (she sees me as little brother) to me once, right?

• I remember my ex saying that to me... that broke me.

not just my heart, it broke me.

• Why isn't there a new Mystery Incorporated? I crave for new Mystery Incorporated.

• @GuruGuru214 said: No, the girl who used to have a crush on me is my sister's friend. The girl who sees me as a brother is my friend.

Ah, so there are two girls. For some reason I thought it was the same one, sorry I got mixed up :)

@GuruGuru214 said: Not much chance of that, I'm afraid. I've confessed, I've been told explicitly that she sees me as a brother, in those words, and I applied the "friend zone" term myself. It's never going to happen.

Yes, if you were explicitly told by someone that they're not interested in you, it's best not to hope for it to change, since it most likely won't. I'm sure there are exceptions, but getting one's hopes up would be torturing oneself.

This discussion has been closed.