User Avatar Image

Is "Back to the Future" the return of adventure games to mainstream???

posted by FIGULS on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Ok almost everybody, and really...everybody has seen and loved Back to the future, i dont have to be a magician to know that this will probably be Telltale's best selling game, even more than TMI, because theres gonna be millions of gamers, and even people that don't play games usually, waiting for the game...

So if this game is good, do you guys feel, like this could be a "historic" return for AV after about 12-15 years out of the spotlight?

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I am very excited for the game as I'm sure it will be great, I'm just worried that there will be a large group of people who totally miss the point of the game. I hope I'm wrong, but I am convinced that most people will be disappointed in what the game is. :(

• ^
    Please elaborate.
    I can see people being disappointed with how the game looks. And I call those people Graphix Wh*#$.
    But I can't see people being disappointed with what the game is.
    People that play the game either are fans of BttF or aware it's an adventure game about time travel(having seen the trailer). I don't see how this game will disappoint people that want a time traveling story. It seems it will execute it very will from the looks of things.

So I don't see what group of gamers this will be disappointing to.
    Either you are a fan of BttF or you're not but you know what you're getting yourself into.
    The only group of people that will not like it will be the 'graphics wh$&@'s and the haters'.
    But these people are beforehand fixed on hating it. Thus not a disappointment.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Origami said: ^
    Please elaborate.
    I can see people being disappointed with how the game looks. And I call those people Graphix Wh*#$.
    But I can't see people being disappointed with what the game is.
    People that play the game either are fans of BttF or aware it's an adventure game about time travel(having seen the trailer). I don't see how this game will disappoint people that want a time traveling story. It seems it will execute it very will from the looks of things.

Just because someone wants stunning visuals doesn't make her or him what you elude to so skillfully. :D

I am still convinced that (a) Telltale IS going for impressive visuals and (b) telling tales with great visuals and wanting tales with great visuals is really a natural thing in the graphic adventure genre.

At the time, it is indeed not the question wether people who want "a time travelling story" might not be satisfied, it's more that people who want a time travelling game still don't know if they can hope to be served.

As for Shodan's worry that some people might miss the point of this game, I can understand that. A lot of people want this to be the game of their dreams, and they all have very different opinions as to how it's done the right way.

• [quote]Just because someone wants stunning visuals doesn't make her or him what you elude to so skillfully.[/quote]

At the moment they base their whole purchasing decision and judgement over the game solely on the graphics, yes it does. >=(

I like playing visually stunning graphics too. UC2 is one of my fav game for it's lush and detailed environments that you get to visit. It's like you're really making a trip around the world from the comfort of your bedroom.
    Yet, I haven't been disappointed in any way with the trailer. I love the artistic design.
    I have just accepted you can't have it all. TellTale isn't the biggest company and they are doing the best they can. I am so grateful there is a BttF in the making. :D

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Origami said: At the moment they base their whole purchasing decision and judgement over the game solely on the graphics, yes it does. >=(

Might be the wrong place to discuss this, but I find that pretty normal as well. The visuals are the most immediately striking asset of a game. You take a look, you find yourself immersed in the graphics, bam, you could like this. Most of the other qualities in mainstream gaming are far less immediate, controls being one of them. That said, story is about the least immediate. You have to essentially play the whole game before you know if you really like a given story.

So, if there are people out there who would base their entire buying decision on graphics, I wouldn't do the same thing, but I could understand it. Graphics is essentially art, and not a morally corrupt form of art, mind you. ;)

• [quote]you find yourself immersed in the graphics, bam, you could like this[/quote]

Yes, but the question is why some people can only find themselves immersed in graphics that are technically the most up to date.
    Why can't they see that the visuals of a game are not limited to only the technical capabilities but also design direction?

Imho if you're only striving for the 'newest' graphics then by definition that makes you a 'Graphics Wh#*@' >.>

• @Origami said: So I don't see what group of gamers this will be disappointing to.

There seems to be an inordinate amount of people who want this to be and/or are expecting this to be "GTA: Hill Valley" for real, people who are unfamiliar with Telltale's games and have never played an adventure game before in their lives. Those are the people who will throw their controllers down in disgust when they start the game up for the first time and see what they're in for. They won't even bother to give the game a chance because it defies their expectations and will start trashing it on every forum they can find.

But you know what? Screw 'em! I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of this game, and who cares what they think! :D

edit: Let me backtrack a little. I shouldn't generalize like that. I'm sure some people expecting a sandbox game will give the game a chance and may end up liking it, but I feel like most won't.

• @markeres said: There seems to be an inordinate amount of people who want this to be and/or are expecting this to be "GTA: Hill Valley" for real, people who are unfamiliar with Telltale's games and have never played an adventure game before in their lives. Those are the people who will throw their controllers down in disgust when they start the game up for the first time and see what they're in for. They won't even bother to give the game a chance because it defies their expectations and will start trashing it on every forum they can find.

But you know what? Screw 'em! I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of this game, and who cares what they think! :D

This is sadly very true..... I do not think the average gamer will be expecting an adventure game.. and its not like TTG is a powerhouse like EA games that everyone has heard of to be familiar with the kind of games they make.

There very well may be a little bit of a backlash from some people..... but I think Adventure game fans will really like it.... and it may.... just may make a few new adventure game fans.... but there is no way that it will change the game industry and people will start selling their copies of Halo to buy more adventure games...

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@markeres said: There seems to be an inordinate amount of people who want this to be and/or are expecting this to be "GTA: Hill Valley"...

That's a rather negative way to look at it, and I've looked at the matter equally pessimistic for quite some time. But what is it that the new people essentially want by demanding a GTA-style game? It's not the violence and gameplay of the GTA games, that's for sure. What they might just want is to explore Hill Valley, and they haven't yet experienced a different way to explore a city than in the GTA games. But exploration is still one of TTG's areas of great achievement, and the GTA people might come to appreciate this different approach to exploration, that focuses more on individual detailed areas than on vast but repetitive explorative excursions.

That is to say: They might actually love it. ;)

• [quote]appreciate this different approach to exploration, that focuses more on individual detailed areas than on vast but repetitive explorative excursions. [/quote]

Yup, this is the problem with all Sandbox games. Red Dead Redemption however did very well of creating different detailed areas.

Still, for a game that's based off the BttF we expect a level of detail similair to the movies, since a lot of locations from the movies are represented.

That's why I like linearity in games. Granted you are finished earilier. But I prefer a short sweet ride wherein every environments feels different and is a joy to explore(a la Uncharted games) opposed to big dull worlds with repetitiveness that don't sell themselves.

Add Comment