User Avatar Image

Movie plotholes/ The only thing that doesn't add up

posted by Dangeresque on - last edited - Viewed by 3.1K users

This is the greatest trilogy ever made (i dont consider the godfather a trilogy cause 3 sucked). everything in this movie was well thought out, all the events and the going back and forth were perfect (especially if you watch them around 15 times each and pick up all the small details :p )

the only thing that think didnt add up in this movie was the fact that Marty's parents doent remember him. i mean sure its 30 years later (speaking of the 1st movie) but even if for only a week he was still a huge influence in both their lives right? when he started getting older wouldnt they start saying, hey wait a minute, this guy looks really familiar.

Worse yet wouldn't george suspect loraine of cheating on her with marty? i mean calvin marty in the late 60s?

just a stupid point. it might make no sence but its something that popped to my head and figure i'd share it. of course dont mean no offence to the trilogy

364 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Origami said:
    It's funny when you think about it. If Jeniffer didn't write that number on the flyer, Marty would've been stuck in '55.

Is very likely that will be used in the game.

• @Origami said: As I was sitting on the toilet just now I found something weird.

Thanks for that.

@Origami said: Marty has the flyer with Jennifer's number in his pocket. Now she told him that she was staying at her grandmom's.....but why did he never call her?

I think he was being a "typical teenage guy". When his sister told him that Jennifer called a few times he looked at his watch and then looked confused, more than likely because he completely forgot to call her. He also forgot to meet up with Doc at the mall, either that or he was too lazy and slept through the music on his clock radio.

@Origami said: Is very likely that will be used in the game.

I don't see why it would be.

• ^
    But shouldn't he have called her? The car was wrecked. Plans cancelled.
    But okay, you'e right.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Origami said: As I was sitting on the toilet just now I found something weird.

Too much information, man! But now that you mention it, some book (Was it the "Neverending Story"??) mentioned that books leave out a lot, so you never get told how your hero goes to the restroom.

The same is probably true for Marty in the BTTF movies. Naturally, from 7 to 11 p.m. he phoned up Jennifer and whined at length about the wreck... that his father is. But Gale chose not to show that lest we might think of Marty as a sissy. :D :D

• There is something that doesn't add up. When Doc stays in 1885, how does me manage to acquire the parts for his new time machine, especially considering which time era he is in?
    It wont be possible to rip parts from the Delorrean, as Marty has it.
    Surely the delorrean which Doc travelled in to get to 1885 appears in the past, before he was supposed to be shot? Therefore this isn't an option.
    I guess a lot of time has passed before he meets Marty in 1985, considering he has kids.
    Having said that his new time machine looks very futuiristic. How would Doc get the parts?

• Having said that his new time machine looks very futuiristic. How would Doc get the parts?

It appears that Doc used the Hoverboard technology to create the first version of the Time Machine that would run on steam. After that there's really no ambiguity, he went to the future (hence the 'already been there' phrase and the flying modifications on the train), did some modifications and went to 1985 to catch up with Marty.

• @Masta23 said: Having said that his new time machine looks very futuiristic. How would Doc get the parts?

Well it's implied that 1985 isn't Doc's first stop, since the time train has a 2015 style hover conversion (would like to see the look on the mechanics face he bought the parts for that from). So any futuristic look it had in the movie could be post 1885 ad-ons. EDIT: Those giant induction coils on the side though? Definitely not futuristic, and they give a small hint at some of things he was working with in 1885.

As for how he built it in 1885 at all, he did have parts from things like the hoverboard and his radio to use, but even so I must say it is kind of an unbelievable feat.

• @Tyrfing42 said:
    As for how he built it in 1885 at all, he did have parts from things like the hoverboard and his radio to use, but even so I must say it is kind of an unbelievable feat.

Time Travel in itself is an unbelievable feat. But I have one of two ideas:

Since Doc returns with Clara and the kids, there has to be roughly ten years that have passed. Since Doc knows how to make a *working* Flux Capacitor, perhaps he had to play around with what was left over from Marty's trip into 1885 (the hoverboard, the radios, whatever was still in that Delorean's trunk!) and it took him 10 years to build it.

The other idea is that he went back to the Delgado Mine Shaft, disassembled the flux capacitor and time circuits, added it to his train, traveled into the future (be it 1985, 2015 or some other time period) and then retrieved the parts he would need to then build a second Flux Capacitor.

He would then have had to return back to the point in which he left and replace the original Flux Capacitor and Time circuits so Marty could use it in 1955, and use the new Flux Capacitor on the Time Train.

• @FaMzNeSS said:
    The other idea is that he went back to the Delgado Mine Shaft, disassembled the flux capacitor and time circuits, added it to his train, traveled into the future (be it 1985, 2015 or some other time period) and then retrieved the parts he would need to then build a second Flux Capacitor.

He would then have had to return back to the point in which he left and replace the original Flux Capacitor and Time circuits so Marty could use it in 1955, and use the new Flux Capacitor on the Time Train.

How would he be able to go back to the time shaft to retrieve Delorrean parts? That could only happen if Doc went back in time to before Marty arrived in 1885.
    That would still cause a paradox if Doc travelled further into the future than 1955. Marty would need a working time machine, so it doesn;t make any difference if Doc was going to return later. Things would start to erase (similar to when Biff gave the Alimaniac to his younger self).
    I do agree that the hoverboard and radio is the only logical explanation. There is no other way that Doc could obtain parts from the future.

• You want an explanation? He's Doc ****ing Brown! He's a crazy mad scientist! There's no telling how he did it.

Add Comment