User Avatar Image

Could not initialize direct3D and error message

posted by samwize on - last edited - Viewed by 5.3K users

Hi,

i brought cultureshock a few days ago by downloading the demo and unlocking the full game, but when i go on launch game it comes up with an error message saying 'ithis program has caused an error in USER.EXE. or KERNL.EXE.' Then after doing this it says it could not initialise direct3D but i have installed directX and Nvidia. Please could you help me i've waited a decade to play this game.

p.s. i have windowsME not XP

115 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @strong-Bad said: Hey, evre time i try to play Monkey island and Strong Bad i get a "Cant initialize Direct3D". pleas help



    Make sure your display color depth is set to 32 bit, and that you have run the DirectX updater.

    If that fails please post a dxdiag log.

    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

    Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

    Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

  • @DjNDB said: Make sure your display color depth is set to 32 bit, and that you have run the DirectX updater.

    If that fails please post a dxdiag log.

    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

    Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

    Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.



    hey i did this and it didn't work, but i tried it on my laptop and it DID work! Thanks!

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @strong-Bad said: hey i did this and it didn't work, but i tried it on my laptop and it DID work! Thanks!



    That's great. If you need help with your other pc anyway, i could still check the dxdiag log.

  • @DjNDB said: Make sure your display color depth is set to 32 bit, and that you have run the DirectX updater.

    If that fails please post a dxdiag log.

    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

    Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

    Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.



    here u go

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    Oh well, that doesn't look promising:

    Display Tab 1: Hardware-accelerated Direct3D 9 is not available because the display driver does not support it. You may be able to get a newer driver from the hardware manufacturer.

    Card name: SiS 650_651_740
    Driver Date/Size: 7/18/2002 14:18:56, 334848 bytes

    Description: YAMAHA AC-XG WDM Audio
    Date and Size: 7/19/2002 12:25:58, 202880 bytes

    That's some pretty old hardware with old drivers.
    It might start, if you update the drivers, but it would sure run horrible on that integrated graphics chip.
    If you want to give it a try, here you'll find the latest, but still old, graphics drivers and sound drivers.

    Unless you want to upgrade or replace the system you're better off playing on the laptop.

  • @DjNDB said: Make sure your display color depth is set to 32 bit, and that you have run the DirectX updater.

    If that fails please post a dxdiag log.

    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

    Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

    Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.



    @DjNDB said: Oh well, that doesn't look promising:


    That's some pretty old hardware with old drivers.
    It might start, if you update the drivers, but it would sure run horrible on that integrated graphics chip.
    If you want to give it a try, here you'll find the latest, but still old, graphics drivers and sound drivers.

    Unless you want to upgrade or replace the system you're better off playing on the laptop.

    ok im lost on what to download and what to do when i do download it. plz help

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    You follow one of the links, then you have to agree to SIS Terms of Service. Once you've done that you'll see a Page where you can select what to download. Ignore that. Instead follow both links again, this time you should see the files to download. You'll have to input a captcha (Type the code shown) before you can start downloading.
    Then you unzip the files, and install the drivers.

  • @DjNDB said: You follow one of the links, then you have to agree to SIS Terms of Service. Once you've done that you'll see a Page where you can select what to download. Ignore that. Instead follow both links again, this time you should see the files to download. You'll have to input a captcha (Type the code shown) before you can start downloading.
    Then you unzip the files, and install the drivers.



    evre time i do this i get an error

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @strong-Bad said: evre time i do this i get an error



    Please elaborate.

  • @DjNDB said: Please elaborate.



    oh my bad. i get an error when i run the files. the adio one sez " 53670397" then another one pops up and sez " Fail to install audio driver. setup will now exit"

Add Comment