User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 10.6K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @GuruGuru214 said: And when was it ever said that magic was against Christianity? Are wizards not allowed to believe in Jesus or Kali or Allah or whoever the hell they want just like anybody else, just because of something they're able to do?

I don't remember them celebrating Christmas in a particularly Christian way. They have their own traditions for many things, why just that? Heck, I didn't know some people celebrating Christmas as the birth of Jesus before I was a teenager. (Granted, in French the common name is Noël (Yule), not Christmas, so it would be harder to pull off in English.)

The celebration itself predates Jesus, so if they want to have a winter celebration and exchange gifts, I fail to see why that would be a problem regardless of their actual beliefs.

• @GuruGuru214 said: While I like Dashing's arguments, I'd also like to toss in these rebuttals from the other side of the fourth wall.

I'd like to point out that this was because the four founders of the school couldn't agree with what and who to teach and thus segregated it according to their own ideals. Yes, this is absolutely wrong and probably could've been changed by later school administration, but you don't screw with tradition apparently. Besides, three of the houses might go for integration, but the Slytherins wouldn't have it any other way.

And when was it ever said that magic was against Christianity? Are wizards not allowed to believe in Jesus or Kali or Allah or whoever the hell they want just like anybody else, just because of something they're able to do?

BINDING. MAGICAL. CONTRACT. It's spelled out in both the book and the film why Harry can't simply back down. It might even be on the same level as the Unbreakable Vow, where you drop dead if you fail to meet the requirements.

And now for something completely different.

:D

Ah, okay. You're the first one to point these out, thanks. Not one of my friends can ever have a nerdy discussion with me...

• Back to the Future: 10/10
    Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva: 9/10
    and that's apparently the only movies I've seen recently... I need to watch more movies.

• the new harry potter movie. Saw it on the first day it came out and I LOVED IT!!! It had a great storie, some good jokes every once and a while, and a really sad ending that made for a great cliffhanger.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Well, that kinda sucks for Muggle-born wizards and witches who were raised in ultra-devout Christian families, particularly with the whole unable-to-control-their-magic-at-a-young-age thing.

Good thing they don't exist! phew! Dodged a bullet there, huh?

Was I too hard on him?

• @Jen Kollic said: You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see an AU fic where the SAS storm the Death Eater hideout and shoot the bastards. Does a Shield Charm work on bullets? More importantly, can you cast one in the space of time it takes for a bullet to leave the chamber and blow your brains out, while you're choking on tear gas? MUGGLE MAGIC BITCHES.

I always thought it would have been a great idea to just send the army out against Voldemort, maybe with some sort of wizard support squad. He can't kill everyone at once and he most definitely can't block every single bullet. But of course, they had to try to fight the guy on his own terms, which just isn't really all that clever.

• Ghostbusters - 11/11 - Do I really need to explain my score? I adore this film and every aspect of it.

District 9 - 11/11 - Great sci-fi film; great action; great heroes.

The Expendables - 6/11 - The action wasn't bad but I feel like this movie was better when it was Rambo. Statham and Li were the best parts; but mostly it just doesn't hold up to the type of film its trying so hard to emulate. All in all it's not a film I'll remember.

Iron Man II - 6/11 - A much less interesting rehash of the first film. Downey Jr. is still great as Stark, and Sam Rockwell is fantastic as always, but Mickey Rourke, Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson are criminally underused. The action is okay, but mostly not that great until the final action scenes.

• Grown Ups
    3/10
    I only chuckled once.

• Iron Man 2 - 4/5

Lots of funny moments, action and great special effects.

Add Comment