User Avatar Image

Movie plotholes/ The only thing that doesn't add up

posted by Dangeresque on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

This is the greatest trilogy ever made (i dont consider the godfather a trilogy cause 3 sucked). everything in this movie was well thought out, all the events and the going back and forth were perfect (especially if you watch them around 15 times each and pick up all the small details :p )

the only thing that think didnt add up in this movie was the fact that Marty's parents doent remember him. i mean sure its 30 years later (speaking of the 1st movie) but even if for only a week he was still a huge influence in both their lives right? when he started getting older wouldnt they start saying, hey wait a minute, this guy looks really familiar.

Worse yet wouldn't george suspect loraine of cheating on her with marty? i mean calvin marty in the late 60s?

just a stupid point. it might make no sence but its something that popped to my head and figure i'd share it. of course dont mean no offence to the trilogy

364 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Masta23 said: difference if Doc was going to return later. Things would start to erase (similar to when Biff gave the Alimaniac to his younger self).

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I think I am twisting in some "Bill & Ted" logic in there somewhere. ;)

• The biggest problem: We never saw those lybians in the end of the first movie dieing, so why don't they come after Doc after their crash?

• ^
    They never had the chance.
    Doc took Marty home and travelled through time. Then the rest of the trilogy happened.

If you meant why didn't they get out of the van and run up to Doc.
    The crash probably knocked them out.
    Since Marty accelerated up to 88 mph and they were tailing him well enough just before that we can assume they made that crash around....considering they hit the breaks..50 mph per hours? 100 km wow that's serious...

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Yeah, why doesn't Biff jump out of the manure and give Marty a ritual beating?!? :D :D

• The crash probably knocked them out.Since Marty accelerated up to 88 mph and they were tailing him well enough just before that we can assume they made that crash around....considering they hit the breaks..50 mph per hours? 100 km wow that's serious...

That wasn't the case, if that was, they should have shown it. the most logical way to do it was to make the car explode because there were dozens of explosives in it ... but they didn't do that ...
    Yeah, why doesn't Biff jump out of the manure and give Marty a ritual beating?!?
    XD good one Vaina! ... Wait, was he talking to me??? You will pay >:-( ... because I'm ... REMINDER OF THE FORGOTTEN! I have the power to ... remind you ... of the ... you know ... forgotten ones ... which is a very useful power ... *begins to cry* Damn you! Damn you ALLLLLL! *gets easy* ... actually, that's a good question, why didn't biff do that?

• [quote]That wasn't the case, if that was, they should have shown it.[/quote]

What? They showed them crashing into the stall right, van tumbling and everything.
    Highly unlikely that someone would just stand up from that 1,2,3

• there was enough time for them to stand up afterwards, while Marty and Doc were talking. Also, they could follow them after they finished talking. What I'm saying is that we didn't see them knock out/Die. Not even in a funny way like Biff running into manure and saying his "catch phrase"

• @Masta23 said: How would he be able to go back to the time shaft to retrieve Delorrean parts? That could only happen if Doc went back in time to before Marty arrived in 1885.
    That would still cause a paradox if Doc travelled further into the future than 1955. Marty would need a working time machine, so it doesn;t make any difference if Doc was going to return later. Things would start to erase (similar to when Biff gave the Alimaniac to his younger self).
    I do agree that the hoverboard and radio is the only logical explanation. There is no other way that Doc could obtain parts from the future.

@Masta23 said: Yeah, you're probably right about that. I think I am twisting in some "Bill & Ted" logic in there somewhere. ;)

Actually, I remember why I thought this would ring true in Back to the Future Logic. It's the same logic that when Doc, Marty and Jennifer travel to the future, Marty and Jennifer still exist in an uninterrupted timeline.

Basically, there was no surefire way they would have returned back to 1985 to continue on with their "normal" lives, however... they still existed in the future. In theory, since they departed from 1985 and hadn't returned yet their future selves wouldn't exist because they hadn't yet returned to 1985 to restore the timeline. Basically, the Delorean could have ran out fuel and dropped out of the Sky, causing a paradox, but this didn't happen.

So, in theory, if Doc did borrow the Flux Capacitor and returned it, the Back to the Future Time travel logic would still reign true. The problem is, a lot of the BTTF time travel logic is skewed a bit to fit the story. There isn't any concrete way in which time travel works.

@Masta23 said: What I'm saying that we didn't see them knock out/Die. Not even in a funny way like Biff running into manure and saying his "catch phrase"

That's movie magic for ya. Since you see them crash and topple over, it's assumed by the audience that the threat is no longer present. But I will say this, the Libyans could still have been a threat, hence why Doc brown leaves and never tried to return to 1985/1986 permanently. Who knows? They may explore that in this game.

• Who knows? They may explore that in this game.

I hope so.

• Well...we're probably returning to Lone Pine Mall judging from the artwork.
    I don't know if it will be on that faithfull day though

Add Comment