User Avatar Image

Puzzle Agent Graphical Bug on Puzzle 2 with Snowmobile

posted by Depops on - last edited - Viewed by 3.5K users

I have both of these problems. ESC doesn't work and there's no automatic save after the first puzzle.

In addition, there is a problem with the second puzzle. The background of the puzzle is on top of the rest of the objects so I can't see what's happening.

07TfXl.jpg

DirectX has been updated. This problem occurs both in fullscreen and windowed. I don't know what else I could try.

276 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • [quote]Hmm, this and the fact that the patch came out on steam first makes me think that they basically didn't care until a whole bunch of copies sold on steam in that bundle. =([/QUOTE]

The problem with that logic is that you can't know if people bought it because Puzzle Agent was in there, or if they've just considered it a sort of bonus. I bought that pack too, but only because it had Recettear. I'm not saying I won't enjoy the other games, but they didn't influence my decision to buy at all.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong.

• @Pidgeot said: The problem with that logic is that you can't know if people bought it because Puzzle Agent was in there, or if they've just considered it a sort of bonus. I bought that pack too, but only because it had Recettear. I'm not saying I won't enjoy the other games, but they didn't influence my decision to buy at all.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong.

I wasn't suggesting that people bought the pack because it had Puzzle Agent, just that there were suddenly loads more owners of Puzzle Agent and the steam version was priority.

• I gotta admit, it's kind of strange.

Inside my "Puzzle Agent" map I now have both "Puzzle Agent" and "Mystery of Scroggins", the Puzzle Agent one being the one with loads less files and indeed the steamap...
    Though it did give the launcher for me so... what?

EDIT: Nvm, that was my old launcher on my desktop, the new one from start menu does indeed not give a launcher.
    EDIT: Overhauled my save, said I had nothing done. Loaded it anyway, and it's completed as should... now trying the puzzles who had reported issues on Steam...
    EDIT: Cut your losses, check.
    EDIT: Diners and Dishes, check.

• @StingingVelvet said: The simple fact of the matter is that because the number of people effected was small and refunds were offered Telltale did not make the patch a priority.

Isn't there also the fact that iPad/iPhone development could have made Puzzle Agent a moving target? Whilst it may not make sense to pull resources to work on an unreleased project, it is important to prioritise development within a single codebase. If a nVidia specific bugfix was conflicting with the in-progress iPhone version, letting the iPhone version settle first would certainly be an option with merit (though I'd be wary of it myself).

I think that we don't really have enough information at this point to be making too many assertions regarding the company's motives with regards to this bug. Something good may still come out of all this (if any of DjNDB's suggestions regarding a transparent bug tracking system and higher version visibility were implemented, I'd consider that pretty positive).

Another point for consideration is the type of game that Puzzle Agent is and what it represents. I've gotten the impression that Puzzle Agent is not only a pilot for Grickle style games, but also for a new production model and style of exploring potential IPs that, unless you count tech demos and public betas, is unseen in the industry. If Puzzle Agent is seen internally as a "beta", then perhaps the refund mentality and apparent slow release of fixes is understandable. Puzzle Agent's sole purpose may have been to gather information on whether or not the pilot model is viable.

If that *is* the case, then there's a communication problem at work here as well - I am certain that every person posting in this thread considers Puzzle Agent to be a "proper" game on equal footing with any of TellTale's previous releases (as evidenced by the comparisons to existing TellTale's games' quality and the company's history as well as attitudes expressed regarding future TellTale products).

On a more positive note, I can confirm that puzzle #2 behaves correctly and is solvable under Linux with a GTX460 :D
    Thanks to everyone involved with this bug. I hope that the discussion continues to a point where all sides have greater understanding of what has happened.

• Just to post an update on the Adventure bundle, I emailed support and they had added the standalone game to my account within like five minutes :D

• @Cheeseness said: GTX460 :D

I've been playing through and out of interest, I viewed the "How?" solution summary for A Quorum of Crows, and the vertical overlapping photos which were present down the left hand side when I played on my girlfriend's laptop are no longer visible. The FBI emblem is displayed instead.

Edit: Whoops, the attached screenshot has a spoiler in it. Sorry!

Can anybody else confirm this?

• For what it's worth, I just downloaded and installed the new version on my Ubuntu 10.10 "maverick" machine, and everything now seems to work as expected. Thanks for the fix!

• Are you guys sure the standard telltalegames.com version is updated? It just says the same old "puzzleagent_pc_setup" filename for me.

• @StingingVelvet said: Are you guys sure the standard telltalegames.com version is updated? It just says the same old "puzzleagent_pc_setup" filename for me.

Yeah, I know, but I installed it in Wine, and it put it into a new folder in my Wine prefix. Both my Linux machines encountered the problem before, and now they both work. FWIW, the MD5 sum of the copy I just downloaded yesterday that worked for me is:

55d030bbd578050cd788fd9b77799d32

• @StingingVelvet said: Are you guys sure the standard telltalegames.com version is updated? It just says the same old "puzzleagent_pc_setup" filename for me.

It's definitely the new version. Telltale are awkward and just used the same file name.

Add Comment