User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 18.8K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @taumel said: Wow, you're easy to please, must be great even watching TV with this standard.

So I just have other standards to how I want to rate the movies I watch, so I am not going to grade it lower to please you.

You hated it, and I liked it. Lets just leave it at that.

• I actually watched The Matrix trilogy all on Sunday as I refused to move from my warm bed all day. The original's great, most'll agree on that, but the other two are pretty unfairly slated. For all the obtuse crap there is in there, may I remind you that there's like a million Hugo Weaving's on screen at once. Please take this into account and reassess :)

@taumel said: Wow, you're easy to please, must be great even watching TV with this standard.

The whole "I don't watch TV" thing to me always smacks of elitism to be quite frank. TV caters for a wide variety of people and tastes, it's only natural that the vast majority of stuff being aired doesn't appeal to you or me or Joe Bloggs.

I don't personally watch TV a lot outside of the news, but I don't think it's necessarily a vapid wasteland by any means

Edit: All that said I wouldn't be giving Iron Man 2 a 9/10 anytime soon :p

• Depends on your ratings scale I guess? Actually, 9/10 is a bit high, but if you're like a videogame reviewer and 7 is "it works, I guess, you know, kind of average", then an "8" would be arguably warranted.

• I don't see a reason for watching TV anymore. Beside of a few football matches, a WM, cabaret and one children show it just doesn't make sense anymore as i've already seen what i wanted to, i don't need the trash and if they produce something interesting every decade, you can get it on DVD as well.

Iron Man 2, like many of the TV productions, to a large degree was a trash movie, maybe a 3/10, 4/10 if i'm really drunk and all feels magically fine. Simply one of those films you felt guilty wasting your money and time after leaving the cinema.

• The Twilight Saga: New Moon - 0/5

So bad I don't even want to go into detail in fear I might throw up.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Chico & Rita - 7.5/10
    Animation for grown-ups. Follows the stormy on/off relationship between two musicans (a singer and a piano player), from Havana to New York to Paris and back, through the jazz era of the 1950s and beyond. AMAZING soundtrack, as you might imagine.

It Happened One Night - 9/10 <-- lovelovelove
    1930s film about a spoiled little rich girl who runs away to New York, falling for a roguish newspaper reporter along the way. Engaging characters, beautiful story, clever script. Laughed out loud so many times. Modern romantic comedies are pale imitations of this stuff.

The Dish - 7.5/10
    Australian movie about the radio receiver dish in Parkes, which was responsible for putting the 1969 moon landing footage on TV. Nerdy and fun. Subtle, gentle humour and ocker accents all over. Made me homesick.

• Drunken Master - 11/11 - The story of an arrogant, disrespectful, bark-worse than-bite little git-bastard who is shown repeatedly what a worm he really is, until, humiliated, he trains in a secret art of kung fu and gains respect for himself and for others. A fantastic story of growth.

Drunken Master II - 9/11 - This sequel pales story-wise in comparison to the classic that is the first. BUT. Action-wise and acting-wise, it's just as good. Jackie Chan really impresses me sometimes with his acting in his films outside the kung fu parts, and he pulls off some strong emotions in this film, but that's nothing strange as he did the same in the first. The woman who plays his mother really is the highlight of the film. She is badass. Action wise this is one of the best kung fu films of all time, no doubt, but even though the action in this is on a bigger scale, I still prefer Drunken Master One.

• Despicable Me - 10/10

I have been waiting for this to come out on Blu-ray since I first saw it. This is, hands-down, my favorite movie of the last few years. Hopefully I get a 3D TV soon so I can watch it in 3D.

• @DrRocketGenius said: Despicable Me - 10/10

Someone gave Seven Samurai 8.5 out of 10... but generic mass market CGI comedy gets a perfect score? I think I'm done with this thread.

• @Comrade Pants said: Someone gave Seven Samurai 8.5 out of 10... but generic mass market CGI comedy gets a perfect score? I think I'm done with this thread.

It's not my problem that I have a different opinion than you. I thought it was a fantastic movie, so I gave it a score reflecting that. If you didn't see it- or didn't like it- fine. Whatever. Not a big deal.

Add Comment