User Avatar Image

Voice actors.

posted by RAnthonyMahan on - last edited - Viewed by 386 users

The voice actors for Sam and Max have always been something of a point of contention, haven't they? I got a private message and thought it would be interesting to see this forum's opinions.

Who do you think are the best voice actors for Sam and Max?

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yWnnk9fyJE ... until I went back and messed with the game again I'd forgotten how much Max originally sounded like a slightly-more-Jerseyfied Bugs Bunny!

-TG :cool:

• I like both Animated Series and Telltale Nowlin-Kasten duo, but, forgive me all their fans, I detest 'Hit the Road' voices of Sam and Max.

EDIT: 404 posts! Whoo! :p

• I was actually a big fan of the Animated Sam voice...untill I heard David's Sam. Now, I can't even imagine Sam without David's voice.

Also, I really liked Andrew's Max better than Willam's...at first, but Willam has grown on me over the years and I enjoy his work to. I'm just glad they got Andrew back to do other voices now, so its kinda the best of both worlds for me.

• Probably my best voices would be the ones now, my favourite Sam would be Bill Farmer and my favourite Max would be William Kasten.

• Oooh, oooh, I have to post in this! I picked the cartoon voices, Harvey Atkins and Robert Tinkler, but that might be cause I'm new to the games. I've played the demo of Devil'd Playhouse and the voices in that seem great.

I think that voices really seem to fit with the different media, to me, from what I've seen. The cartoons are non-stop non-interactive wackiness and the voices really seem to fit that, I think. Judging by the Season 3 demo, the voices in that seem more suited to the whole puzzle solving adventure game format than the cartoon voices would be, in my opinion.

I also like how Sam in the cartoon is the same guy from the Leon's commercials: it really cracks me up. Like he's gonna turn around and start trying to convince Max of some sale on matresses or something :D

After watching some youtube video comparing Max's voices, I must say I find it sorta difficult telling Chaikin from Kasten. Is that normal or will I learn with practice?

• @Zepton said: Oooh, oooh, I have to post in this! I picked the cartoon voices, Harvey Atkins and Robert Tinkler, but that might be cause I'm new to the games. I've played the demo of Devil'd Playhouse and the voices in that seem great.

I think that voices really seem to fit with the different media, to me, from what I've seen. The cartoons are non-stop non-interactive wackiness and the voices really seem to fit that, I think. Judging by the Season 3 demo, the voices in that seem more suited to the whole puzzle solving adventure game format than the cartoon voices would be, in my opinion.

I also like how Sam in the cartoon is the same guy from the Leon's commercials: it really cracks me up. Like he's gonna turn around and start trying to convince Max of some sale on matresses or something :D

After watching some youtube video comparing Max's voices, I must say I find it sorta difficult telling Chaikin from Kasten. Is that normal or will I learn with practice?

There is a slight different. Chaikin sounds more likt the Max from the cartoons whereas Kasten sounds more like Max from Hit the Road, w/o the brooklyn accent.

• Yeah, I searched the hit the road voices, and they sound sorta weird to me, sorta don't quite sit straight with me, Max sounds like a gangster or something... and Sam & Max both sound a bit off to me.

I guess I can kinda see what you're saying... sorta. Kasten, Chaikin, & Tinkler all sound very similar to me, though. Max's Hit the Road voice is the only one that sounds noticably different to me of the Max voices. Sam's voices are all distuingshable, though, for sure.

• I always loved Harvey Atkin's gruff, reassuring voice. It really grows on you after 1 season of child friendly hi-jinx. (I also prefer the Super Mario Super Show Mario voice to Charles Martinet's.)

I do like the Telltale (s1e2 and beyond) voices though, but I can't see David Nowlin voicing a cartoon character with that voice. They work better for the medium they're in.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

I'll be honest, I LOVE the Tinkler version of Max... but I'm pretty sure it is inappropriate for Telltale's darker material. It's a little TOO excitable and young for that, but it was perfect in the cartoon. I still have trouble listening to Jameson Max- I think it has something to do with being born and raised in New Jersey. I know a number of people who ACTUALLY talk like that. *shudder*

Add Comment