User Avatar Image

season 1 dvd rom game (and general thoughts about disc checks)

posted by davech1987 on - last edited - Viewed by 719 users

i am just wondering do you still need the cd roms of each of the games to play the whole of season 1 because i read in a review ocz it said

and the interface to access them is not as creative as you may have hoped. In addition, the entire season uses a glut of hard disk space but still requires the CD-ROM in order to play

does that mean i need the cd roms to play the season 1 collect or can i get them all from the dvd rom

thanks

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • My pet-peeve:

I really don't understand why people have such a big issue with disc-checks. Sure, it sometimes IS annoying, but come on, it does not warrant a rant on how we are being treated like criminals?

Personally I think it's a GOOD thing to require the disc. I usually don't play more than 3 games on my PC at a given time and if I did not need the CD/DVD for each one, it would probably be a matter of time before I lose the disc in my room only to find it 5 years from now when my deca-annual room cleaning happens :P. Requiring me to insert the disc every time forces me to keep it close. See it as natural selection: games I play the most often stays on the top of my pile. Games that suck naturally follows my missing socks.

• ahh, i see. so it is meant to protect the game..not from being pirated, but from being lost..nice. ;)

• @fhqwhgads said: My pet-peeve:

I really don't understand why people have such a big issue with disc-checks. Sure, it sometimes IS annoying, but come on, it does not warrant a rant on how we are being treated like criminals?

Personally I think it's a GOOD thing to require the disc. I usually don't play more than 3 games on my PC at a given time and if I did not need the CD/DVD for each one, it would probably be a matter of time before I lose the disc in my room only to find it 5 years from now when my deca-annual room cleaning happens :P. Requiring me to insert the disc every time forces me to keep it close. See it as natural selection: games I play the most often stays on the top of my pile. Games that suck naturally follows my missing socks.

Well some of us like to keep the place clean and stuff, so this sort of thing doesnt happen, and therefore disk checking is merely an annoyance...plus there is the inevitable wear-and-tear on the disc...just another of the reasons why console gaming rocks compared to PC's...now that I think about it...if telltale could somehow put sam and max on consoles that would be awesome...more specifically, on consoles that I own...XD

• [quote='-=[The_Razgriz_Ace]=-;42141']Well some of us like to keep the place clean and stuff, so this sort of thing doesnt happen, and therefore disk checking is merely an annoyance...plus there is the inevitable wear-and-tear on the disc...just another of the reasons why console gaming rocks compared to PC's...now that I think about it...if telltale could somehow put sam and max on consoles that would be awesome...more specifically, on consoles that I own...XD[/quote]

Erm, what? How does "wear-and-tear" (which doesn't happen to me) on the discs differ from PC to console.

• I hear the 360 can leave a pretty nasty ring-shaped scratch on the disc if you move it while playing. I'm guessing wear and tear would be the same.

I bothers me that I can't make a legal copy of a game I own. What's wrong with using a copy of the disc to play and keeping the original nice and shiny? I also don't want to move around original discs with my laptop. That's why only games that I can play using a copy get installed on my laptop.

Maybe all games should be downloadable with a simple painless authentication ala Telltale's downloadble games :D

• Maybe everyone just do away with all this copy un-protection. Name a single retail game with copy protection that has not been pirated. Exactly.

I'm sure there's some barely known game somewhere that has not been pirated, but any game with any interest at all has been pirated. Copy protection does nothing to stop that. This is why I feel no shame in using No-CD cracks on any game I buy.

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

[quote=Civ2boss;42245]Maybe everyone just do away with all this copy un-protection. Name a single retail game with copy protection that has not been pirated. Exactly.

I'm sure there's some barely known game somewhere that has not been pirated, but any game with any interest at all has been pirated. Copy protection does nothing to stop that. This is why I feel no shame in using No-CD cracks on any game I buy.[/quote]

In an ideal world, I'd love to encourage people to buy my product for its quality and give them some benefits to do so. It had worked for small companies, but unfortunaly most companies do the opposite: bother paying customers with checks and double checks treating a customer like a criminal first and giving them squat for quality of service (e.g.: support) and no real benefit to buy the product (and not pirate it) in the first place.

But following your logic, cars do not need car keys - just replace the ignition with a push button - because you can start (and steal!) a car by hot wiring some cables.

Software is still a product, just like a box of cereal (a very complex cereal :)). If you have a store, would you leave your goods unattended or even outside your store?

And there is another issue: Investors and shareholders. Would you invest in a company that does nothing to prevent theft? Or that does not try to maximize profit by minimizing loses? I know that a pirated copy is a lost sale per se, but still some sales are lost due to piracy.

Until mainstream software companies decide to reward their paying customers, I don't see copy-protection going away.

• @jmm said: But following your logic, cars do not need car keys - just replace the ignition with a push button - because you can start (and steal!) a car by hot wiring some cables.

I think it's not quite the same. First thing is you can't simply hotwire a modern car anymore and it's not just because of the security measures. When messing with the wires you may trigger the airbags or something if you're not careful.
    Hotwiring a car can't be done by anybody, just like cracking copyprotection, but you can aquire tools or allready cracked software quite easy. You can't just buy stolen cars on every corner. And of course, cars can't be duplicated as much as you like.

The point being: Most copy-protection measures just don't have the effect they're supposed to have. I've never heard anybody say: "I wanted to copy this game, but it has cd-check, so I'm going to buy it then."
    But I have seen people wasting whole stacks of cd-r to get a running copy of a protected game, butthat was one of the better examples of copy-protection.

Also, stealing a car is considered a serious crime and somehow copying games or other software usually isn't considered criminal at all.

At the moment I don't think most copy-protection measures aren't worth the effort of implying them, so you could also spent the time in making the product more attractive to actual customers.

Damn, I just wanted to write a small comment. Sorry..

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

[quote=wisp;42286]I think it's not quite the same. First thing is you can't simply hotwire a modern car anymore and it's not just because of the security measures. When messing with the wires you may trigger the airbags or something if you're not careful.
    Hotwiring a car can't be done by anybody, just like cracking copyprotection, but you can aquire tools or allready cracked software quite easy. You can't just buy stolen cars on every corner. And of course, cars can't be duplicated as much as you like.[/quote]

Drifting the issue, but anyway: I was not saying that hotwiring is that simple. Also cracking a protection scheme is not that simple either (unless you refer to download and patch)

[quote=wisp;42286]
    The point being: Most copy-protection measures just don't have the effect they're supposed to have. I've never heard anybody say: "I wanted to copy this game, but it has cd-check, so I'm going to buy it then."
    But I have seen people wasting whole stacks of cd-r to get a running copy of a protected game, butthat was one of the better examples of copy-protection.
    [/quote]
    Agreed

[quote=wisp;42286]
    Also, stealing a car is considered a serious crime and somehow copying games or other software usually isn't considered criminal at all.
    [/quote]
    Strongly disagree. Making a backup copy is a legal right in some places (but not all places), but copying software for any other reason is a serious crime.

[quote=wisp;42286]
    At the moment I don't think most copy-protection measures aren't worth the effort of implying them, so you could also spent the time in making the product more attractive to actual customers.
    [/quote]
    I agree with the second half of your statement, as for the copy-protection worth value it all depends on what you are selling and who your clients are.

• I'm going to transfer this thread to the general forum since it's veered off into general territory...

Personally I don't really get why people are upset by disc checks. A lot of the games I play require them and it has never bothered me.

Add Comment